Phone Scam Info?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Hi Y'all!

I don't know if this is true, that's why I'm asking if you've heard anything about it.

I got a fwd'd e-mail (which makes me question the authenticity already) saying that people are calling telephones, & leaving fake messages claiming a relative is sick, injured, in jail, etc, & leaving a call-back number.
    The e-mail claims the call-back numbers are out-of-country long distance & you'll be billed hundreds & even thousands of dollars, if you return the call.

The e-mail message did give area code numbers, the scammers leave for call-backs: 809, 284, & 876.

They claim AT&T & Snopes are verifying this, but I hesitate to click on the links in the e-mail.

Did anybody else get this message?

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I think Pip was the hero of Great Expectations. We had to read that book
    in school. Never made a bit of sense to me.

I checked on Snopes. Could not find the circumstances you mentioned, but
    I did find a warning that was similar.

Do not press #90 or #09 when some caller asks you to. It will usually be
    someone pretending to be a phone repair person. It somehow makes it possible
    for people to make calls that you have to pay for.

BTW, I did not mean to correct you re: bated breath. I just meant to pass along
    some info. This morning I found "gibbous moon" in a thriller. My sense of
    time is outta whack due to ALZ.

I know I looked it up a while back. Might be a couple months or a couple years. Anyway
    looked it up again. Turns out it is a phase of the moon. More than a half moon, but
    less than a full moon.

I think I've only seen that word twice in my life.

I used to know a guy who would always have some phrase he wanted to work into
    his law school exams. One time it was "water seeks its own level". Another time it
    was something like "freedom must be paid for".

So maybe we should try and work gibbous moon into our next porch post.
    (Smiling out loud.)

3. JimB51

JimB51 Member

I got an email like that a few years ago. Also saw it on TV news.

They warned not to call certain area codes. People were billed Huge amounts of $

That's all I remember about it. Jim

Oh, you can check ...
    This info from scambusters .org

Update on the "809 Area Code Scam" and What to Do if Your e-Zine Gets Changed and Then Spammed

We recently discovered that an issue of Internet ScamBusters - written in 1996 - has resurfaced and is being sent around the Net as spam. This email is about the 809 area code scam, and the "revised" version contains some important mistakes. It is being sent around as if it comes from Internet ScamBusters.

In this issue, we'll correct the mistakes and give you an update on how this scam has changed - and not changed - in the past three years.

We thought this is important for you for two reasons. First, the 809 scam is still thriving, so it's still important to protect yourself. Second, this kind of problem - where an email or e-zine you write is changed and then sent around as spam with you as the supposed author - could happen to you as well, and we'll present some ideas about what to do if this does happen to you.

If you're wondering how we found out about this problem, we discovered it in two ways. First, we simply received a copy of one of the emails from a customer. Second, we visit Google's searchable Usenet discussion forums" ( every couple of weeks to see what is being said about us and Internet ScamBusters in the newsgroups. We discovered that there has been a lively thread about this topic in the alt.folklore.urban newsgroup. It has also been discussed in the rec.arts.sf.fandom, alt.books.david-weber,, and several other newsgroups.

Before we get to the mistakes and changes people made to our issue of Internet ScamBusters, here is a brief review of the 809 scam:

The "809" scam has many permutations but they all involve a message to you (either by email, phone or pager) that you immediately call or fax a number in the "809" area code or some other area code in the Caribbean. Examples of why you should call or fax the phone number include avoiding litigation, receiving information about someone who has been arrested or died, winning a wonderful prize, or getting a job.

The "809" area code is in the Caribbean, yet most people are not aware that they are making an international call when they dial the "809" area code, since you simply dial 1-809-xxx-xxxx to make the call. No international codes are required.

The problem comes from the fact that some phone numbers in the "809" area code are "pay-per-call" numbers (such as 900 numbers in the US) - but there are no legal requirements that callers be informed that they are being charged extra in the Caribbean. When you return one of these "pay-per-call" 809 calls, the scamsters try to keep you on the phone as long as possible, and you may be charged very high rates for the call, reportedly up to $25 per minute.

It is difficult to get credit for these charges if you do get scammed since you did make the call, and resolving the problem involves getting credit from international phone companies.

Since there are now many area codes in the Caribbean, this scam is no longer confined to just the 809 area code.

You can see the original ScamBusters issues about the 809 scam and more on the 809 scam.

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2009]
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I wasn't gonna click the links in the e-mail, cuz I know a lot of scams come in the form of "scam warnings" to get us to click.

Thanks again!!!!!
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Know that if there was a genuine emergency with your relatives, that I believe it would be the authorities from the originating location that would be contacting the police in your loation.

The police in your area would probably then send a car to your home to provide you with all the info and explain exactly what was happening and give you all the info.

All these scams also provide a sense of urgency, which is something else to beware of.

Personally, I want the "electrocution" button installed on my computer so that when a scammer sends me this garbage that I hit my "electrocution" button and it electrocutes the scammer and we will have one less scammer to deal with.

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2009]