Phospherous &Uric Acid Message for Sky

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Information, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Information

Information New Member

There's a lot of information in the Handbook of Natural Healing. You can find sources of phospherous in the mineral section of this or any other good book on nutrition. Soft drinks are the bigggie, but others are: asparagus, bran, brewer's yeast, corn, dairy products, eggs, fish, dried fruit, garlic, legumes, nuts, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, meats, poultry, salmon, whole grains.
    The buildup of uric acid in the blood and tissues is the cause of gout and the main way to control this is through diet. People who lack a digestive enzymne can't process purines in foods and end up with too much of the end product, uric acid.
    Again looking at my Handbook of Nutritional Healing, here are some foods high in purines: Meats, especially organ meats, are the biggie. Alcohol causes the body to produce uric acid. Wiping out vitamin E by consuming rancid fats causes the release of uric acid. They also suggest lmiting intake of caffeine, cauliflower, dried bneans, lentils, fish, eggs, outmeal, peas, poultry, spinach and yeast products.
    As you can see, there is nothing left. I am going to sit down to a nice glass of water. -- Jo
  2. Sky

Sky New Member

What do you eat? I mean, literally, there is not that much left that you could eat.

All that stuff confuses the heck out of me. I am the first to admit that my diet is poor. I don't drink a lot and I stay away from caffeine (coffee) and I don't drink soda pop. I do tend to eat a lot of chicken and eggs. Salads too.

That is one of my goals to work on for the New Year - better eating habits. Not that I go to fast food restaurants all the time, but I tend to skip dinner a lot. But that's only due to me not being home after work.

I'm rambling now.

Do you follow the Natural Handbook of Healing?

-Sky
  3. Information

Information New Member

What do I eat? Good question to which there is not a particularly good answer since I just learned (through the postings at this site) the relationship between phospherous and uric acid and fibro. The thing to remember is that the foods listed are in order of badness as far as phospherous and purine content. So we should go to the top of the list and get rid of soft drinks, asparagus, meats and gravies (and broths).

I've long been on the "candida diet" which has many of these foods on it and could never figure why I felt so much worse. One in encouraged to eat meat and beans, for example, and these foods put me on the floor.

Speaking of candida -- if you have a yeast infection, or even suspect it, it needs to be treated seriously since this could be the root of many problems. You will notice "brewer's yeast" on both the purine and phospherous lists. As it turns out, candida in your body produces huge amounts of purines and this is likely why it is so bothersome to some people (me among them) and doesn't seem to make much difference for others.

I sincerely hope this helps. Please let me know. Also if you have any questions. --Jo
  4. Sky

Sky New Member

Hi Jo,

I don't have any problems with yeast. Never have really. I think I had one yeast infection in my life back in high school.

I do eat one yogurt a day. I hate it but I need the good bacteria.

"asparagus, bran, brewer's yeast, corn, dairy products, eggs, fish, dried fruit, garlic, legumes, nuts, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, meats, poultry, salmon, whole grains. "

That's too big of a list to cut completely out of my diet. I love dairy products and eggs for one. And chicken is really the only place I get protein.

So what is one supposed to do? Honestly, what do you eat?

Hugs,
    Sky

5. Information

Information New Member

Hi Sky -- Since I was unaware of the connection between these foods and fibro, I have been eating them. I should also add that I am sick. Here's my plan: I know I can't cut out all purines and phospherous since they are in so many foods. But I am going to knock off the foods at the top of the list -- giving up meat, asparagus and soft drinks is not a particular sacrifice for me. A word about protein -- it's not actually the protein you need and use. Protein burns "dirty" in your system and has been associated with degenerative disease for years. You DO need amino acids. I take an amino acid supplement from Country Life. It is inexpensive and does the job for me. Anyway, I am going to try this for a while and will let you know of my progress. --Jo
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you hate the yoghurt, just take a probiotic. A good one has more strains of good bacteria than the yoghurt does and is easier to take. They sell a good one here. Just refrigerate it after opening.

Love, Mikie