PhosphoSoda Colonoscopy Prep...Anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Dec 14, 2005.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

It's colonoscopy time again for me...I go on 12/21...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!

Last time I attempted the old way, the GOLYTELY prep, apparently it no longer agrees with me so my doc gave me something else...the lil green bottle that is like an evacuation system in a bottle, magnesium citrate, I think?

Now I am in Maine and doc says PHOSPHO SODA is next on the list...Mix 1.5 ozs with ginger ale or juice, 4 hours later do the same...Drink gatorade gallon during...

Has anyone done this??? Was it successful in giving a clear view for the doc??? That is the most important concern I have, don't want to go thru one and be told, "sorry, I can't see anything"...tehe

Pray it's only an ulcerative colitis flare and nothing more, not that UC flare with all this bleeding isn't bad enough, but as my optimistic self feels, it could be much worse...This attack doesn't feel like my usual ones with cramping, urgency etc...This one is bleeding when I go and a feeling of internal bleeding with fresh blood, lots of it too, plus a swelled abdomen that you wouldn't believe...

I was diagnosed 10 years ago this next week with UC so I am used to this stuff ruining my holidays, well not ruining, but throwing a big,fat old monkey wrench in it...

Please anyone who did this prep, lemme know what ya think...
    Thanks so much~Alicia
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

There is a new prep (at least in Canada) called Pico Salax. My husband took it for his colonoscopy and I took it for my barium enema.

It works as well if not better than the phosphosoda and it isn't so voilent when you have to go to the bathroom. We will never take any other prep again.

I asked the Dr doing my barium why they wouldn't suggest this stuff and she said that it's just not that well known yet and they tend to stick with the tried and true.

After she did the test I told her I didn't use the prep she suggested but took the pico salax and she said that I was extremely well cleaned out.

Check with your Dr. It is more expensive but very much worth it.

All the best,

Eileen
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

IT WORKS (smile) so be prepared. When I used it, it started working within 10 minutes. It tastes nasty even with the ginger ale or whatever you mix it with.

Yes, it cleaned me out really well. The doc even said "you did a good job of getting cleaned out" and I said "it was that stuff you told me to drink, I didn't have anything to do with it". Then we both chuckled.

My prayers are with you.

Kendra
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

and I almost barfed the first dose...the nastiest tasting stuff I've ever tasted! Shudder.

However, it did work and I was cleaned out. It works very quickly as the previous poster said. Don't get too far from the potty.

Best wishes for a successful procedure...what a terrific Christmas present you've chosen! (-:

Sue
  5. FM58

FM58 New Member

Does this come in a small bottle?

The Phospho Soda I took, came in several different flavors, I was warned by others~that the lemon flavor was the most mild & easiest flavor to tolerate.

The Phospho is rather harsh, you will be making mad dashes for the bathroom - ugh!

My doc could see, however~for some reason the phospho soda stuck around in me. I was soooo sick the next day, vomiting & diarrhea~so dehydrated that I ended up in the ER, the confirmed it was the prep & told my GI doc.

Take into consideration that is just my individual body's reaction to that prep. I have IBS, when I have a "D" reaction, I really go into overload. So every time I get a tummy virus~ugh, let's just say it's not a pretty sight.

Good Luck to you- hope everything goes well with your colonoscopy. Let us know when you get the results.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I took the lemon, and if that's the best, I'd hate to think of the others. I can see how someone could be just knocked for a loop with that stuff.

The most awful stuff I've ever had to drink. And, my doctor actually wanted me to just drink a little water after...HA! If I hadn't drunk as much as I did, I would have vomited.

Anyway, this probably isn't too helpful, and, Alicia, everyone is different. It did work for me but it did taste terrible...but I lived and the colonoscopy was successful.

(-:

Sue
  7. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

THANK YOU everyone who posted so far...

I just picked up those nasty tasting little buggers...Can't wait til I have to woof these down...

Soooooooooo, ginger ale doesn't help alleviate the ick factor??? Will have to have hubby there to cheer me on...Being a military man, he doesn't allow me to whimp out on such things...I will grin and bear it...Also, will look into that other prep, being so close to Canada we may have some suppliers here in Maine...

Only one problem with this prep warning label...DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE A BLEEDING PROBLEM...Hmmmmmmm...My doc's nurse did tell me not to be alarmed when I see ALL the blood while prepping...Hopefully won't bleed enough to put me in a worse place than I am...She also showed concern that my CFS would be worsened by this disease progression as well as the colonoscopy...I remember last time I was wiped out afterward, full fibro flare too...

I tell ya, I didn't plan this past 10 years and certainly didn't think I'd be this way at 38...But on the good side, like I said in the initial post, it could be worse...
    Still hoping it's a UC flare, a bad one, and nothing other than that...Keep your fingers crossed!!!Thanks again ALL!!!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was Fleet brand in little bottles. They taste incredibly salty. I mixed it with water and gagged it down. Then, I was able to drink whatever I wanted as long as it wasn't red, purple or orange. It wasn't bad at all.

Compared to the Herxing I've been through, the diarrhea from the prep was nothing. Colonoscopies are just a big pain in the ass and it's always good to get them over with. I always tell myself that, compared to colon cancer, colonoscopies are nothing.

BTW, good for you for keeping up with preventive procedures. Time before last, they removed five large polyps from my colon and several were precancerous. I'm so glad they were found and removed. This time, there were no polyps at all and I don't need another colonoscopy for five years. Yea!!!

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I have Ulcerative Colitis as well and diviritculitis.. I hope it's nothing new and scary.. I hate this.. I know how you feel.. I've wound up in ER so many times between the two.. and yes, if it is a colitis flare you can expect your cfs to flare as colitis is an auto-immune disease.. I know for me when my immune system is failing it all acts up..
    As for the prep... it's all the same.. get a book and stay on the pot!! Good luck!