Physical therapy and rehab from surgery and FMS anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by griswoldgirl, Mar 11, 2003.

1. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

I had acl reconstruction in January and my PT exercises are very rigerous and tiring. It consumes 2-3 hours daily. I woke up this morning and felt like I had been run over by a truck. I seem to plug along for a few days just fine and then have a let down like today. Hurt every where, malaise and no motivation at all!

I do not have a choise with this type of surgery, I have to do the exercises daily whether or not I am up to it. I listen to my body. Like today when I got up at 6 with the kids, I just got them off to school and went back to bed until noon. I am due to go to the gym today, I go every other day and exercise at home on the others. I had PT yesterday where they tested my stregth with this machine and my leg is killing me from it sooooooo--today it is stretching and floor exercises at home, the gym will be there tomarrow. I am also working with light weights on my whole body, riding the bike etc trying to get back in shape. When I was in shape 5 years ago before the arthritis set in I felt much better. I want to get there again. I do not know about others, but when exerciseing regurally I have more energy, or at least I did at 36, I am now 43 and feeling every year of it and more.

Just wondered if there was anyone else out there who has had surgery recently with fibro and how they were getting along.

thanks

cathy
  2. greyhoundlady

greyhoundlady New Member

The summer of 2001 I had both hips replaced. The excercises were murder, but I too, had to do them and I still do them today. However, I can't get past doing the same number I did a year ago, and some days it is really hard to do even that number. I figure that is the FM kicking in. It is terribly frustrating but when I look at the alternative of slack muscles no longer able to hold my hips in place, I get motivated. It just takes me longer to do them. It was a good year before the surgical pain disappeared-now it just is the FM! Just say,"Ican do this, I can do this". Take your time!but do it. Good luck.
  3. toots2

toots2 New Member

I had a shoulder manipulation last year and also PT. I found the more exercise I did the more I hurt. I was in horrible pain and didn't understand why. Now, I realize that the exercise was working against me. I continued on with the exercise but only for the shoulder. I did not exercise any other part of my body. The pain decreased and my shoulder healed. I try and get some exercise everyday but I now am aware of my limits. I find that the more I do, the more I hurt the next day. You must go easy with this condition and never push your body beyond what it can handle. The "no pain, no gain" theory certainly does not apply to us. Toots