Physical Therapy Experts, Need some advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gelsey, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Gelsey

Gelsey New Member

OK< I started PT last week with an evaluation. They decided my neck doesnt move and I am exremely stiff, I also have grinding hip pain and muscle spasms. They have done hot pack treatment, myofascial trigger release massage, put me on a bike and an arm strenghthening gizmo, and given me elastic band hip exercises.
    Two visits later, my stiffness is a bit better and so is my neck, but my hip hurts, my chest hurts (yes, already been checked for cardiac problems, none there) and after the myofascial massage, upper back hurts like heck. This is Sunday that was Wed. I liked the recumbent bike they put me on, and even went and bought one.
    So, is this normal? Do I keep going or ask the doctor if I am on the right track?
    Any thoughts would sure be helpful.
    The first day after, I felt like I got hit by a truck, but yesterday and today I just feel kind of sick.
  2. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I;ve been thru Pt 3 or 4 times. Only had any benefits 1 time.
    The others I kept asking myself "why am I here?".
    It was a waste of time and insurance co-pays.
    Sorry you are hurtin.g Maybe if you try it a few more times
    and it is still too painful go to doctor.
  3. gongee

gongee New Member

Hey Gelsey
    I too tried land therapy twice but felt worse each time. Some days I hurt so bad afterwards, I thought I was going to have to crawl to the car. Doctor then deicded that I pool therapy twice a week would be better for me. I have been in this for 2 years now and it does help. Because of the cost of individual therapy, I was put in a Aqua Lite I pool class (stretching only/with whirlpool before and after) It is an hour long and even though I am doing the same stretching exercises I was doing before, the gravity of the water takes the pressure off. The only stretching I had not been able to accomplish yet is the chest exercises. Hopefully, I am going to build up to that.
    I will say that some days I have to drag myself in there, but after that hour I feel much better. Hope you will find something that will help you too.
  4. piemom

piemom New Member

I've tried therapy several times and i've finally found therapists who are willing to handle FM differently from their usual patients. First of all I was very firm about how much I could do--it doesn't hurt so much when I exercise, it is afterwards that is so painful.
    So we are going very slowly and I'm really feeling better and have more range of movement in my neck. I have copied lopts of stuff from the internet specifically for therapists treating fm patients and asked them to read it.

The therapy is like everything else with this DD. For a while I feel fine and then I have a relapse and am in severe pain. When that happens we stick with heat or cold, can't remember the name of the machine that gives a little electric shock and very gentle lymphatic massage. I usually come out feeing a lot better.Be firm about what you can do and don't let anyone push you to do more. We all know our limits and how painful it is to exceed them.

Lots of luck! piemom
  5. Gelsey

Gelsey New Member

I did ask her if she was familiar with FM. She said, well it is a garbage can disease and therefore lots of people say they have it when they dont.
    That scared me.
    Then when she did the myofascial trigger point massage, I figured she had training at least. But in the next breath she indicated that she had learned it in school and not used it very much. Maybe this is normal, but they also book a few people at once, and then pass you off to other therapists throughout the hour. So she did hand me off to one guy, and He kept saying he was going to get rid of my hip pain right away, and I had to let him know it wasnt helping. I was in ballet for 25 years too, and could feel some of my old injuries hurting while they were working with me.

Tonight the muscle under my ribs is really giving me problems, and the only reason I can think of that it hurts is because she pressed so hard on my back with the myofascial thing that my chest muscle pain was flaring up when she got done.

I'm not quite sure what to do, but my husband says give her the benefit of the doubt and call and discuss this with her before my next visit.