Physical Therapy Kicked My Butt (plus a bit of a rant sorry)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ericdinbstn, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Yesterday I had a physical therapy appt. with someone who has and does work with FMS patients. She gave me a light stretching routine to do at home. We did it yesterday while I was laying on the table. Basically its a series of isolation stretches. She then followed by pulling my legs and my arms in an attempt to stretch out the muscles. While right after I felt kind of good, today I'm miserable. I'm in so much pain. I feel like I went to the gym and worked out for 3 hours.

I'm so tired of hurting all the time. I'm so tired of being tired all the time. A couple of weeks back it was the CFS that was dominant, now I think the FMS is fighting for control. My doctor asked me how my mood is, I used to say I'm more angry than anything, but now I think I'm heading toward depressed, and I'm doing my damndest to make sure that I don't go into full-blown depression (once in my life was enough). I'm on Celexa among many other things. I'm tired that nothing seems to be working. It's so frustrating I don't know what to do.

Sorry for the long rant, but I needed a little vent and I knew I'd find understanding and support here. Everyone has always been so helpful in answering questions for me.

Thanks all.

Gentle hugs,

Eric
  2. momof471

momof471 New Member

PT is tough. Last year I went for a Pain Rehab program, four days a week for four weeks. It was tough, especially the first week. They taught us many stretches. Its natural to be more sore when you first start. Each of these stretches and excercises can be done within your comfort zone. Don't go to the point it 'hurts' to do it. Example: leg lifts if you can only lift 1" without pain only lift 1" soon you'll be able to lift to 1 and a half inches and so forth. Also ice helped me tremendously after I stretched. I felt the best I had in a while after I finished the program. Unfortunately I didn't continue like I should have I let the fibro get me, I still do the stretches when I am in alot of pain, loosening up helps tremendously. If you are able.

I'm quite disappointed in the turn my life took over three years ago and yes I was 'ANGRY'. I'm not angry any more, I have depressive episodes and increased anxiety, mainly because I cannot fix this situation. It hurts to go from 'normal' to this life we have now. Good things happen every day though, lots of them slip by because I'm looking at the negative. I think this will be a life long battle, but I can look back now and I know I'm handling it better than I was three years ago.

Sorry to ramble, you are not alone and you will get good support here. Don't let this illness get your spirit.

God Bless
  3. jole

jole Member

Hi there! So sorry for what you are going through. I know PT is not for everyone. I too was sent and finally had to tell them to just give me a very gentle program that I could do at home with the therapy ball, because everything else made me worse. I ended up doing mainly balance exercises as that is about all I could tolerate. It really is no fun to know that our muscles can't even tolerate the gentle stuff anymore, is it?

Also, I was wondering if you were diagnosed with both FM and CFS? I was told for many of us they went together, and I swear mine is like yours, first one then the other, but my doc insists I have only FM and she will NOT diagnose me with CFS. There are days the pain is terrible, but honestly I think I can manage that better than the days that I simply cannot get out of bed because the fatigue is so great. On those days I am not even a person....make sense?

I wish I could help you....this is the worst, and I guess we can just keep hoping. Have you tried any of the new protocols yet? I would like to, but just can't seem to keep it all together enough to get started Lol :)

Hang in there! A good day has to be around the corner somewhere......

Friends - Jole
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

When I went to PT ... that is where I found out I had FMS! A couple of the PTs were very familiar with this and they massaged me and tought me stretching exercises using those big rubber bands they have over a door. Also some other gentle stretches ... they did not manipulate or pull on me like they did you!!! I bet you hurt! wow. How about the water exercise? They wanted me to do that but I am way too fat (and embarassed) to put on a bathing suit. I hear that is really helpful. I would talk to your DR about that pulling stuff ... that doesn't sound right.

Go ahead and rant to us hun. (((( hugs )))) Sometimes we all need to do that. It is better than holding it in. I am fighting giving in to depression also. This FMS is rough on us ... and expensive. I sure hope you feel better soon. Do you take any muscle relaxers? I don't know what Celexa is? I have FMS, OA, DDD and all kinds of other goodies. I am in extreme pain today myself (weather is rainy and chilly). Hopefully better weather will come and we can get a break? Take care and I hope you feel better soon. Try some aspercream or something topical or a heating pad.
  5. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

To answer your question Jole, yes I was diagnosed with both CFS and FMS. The diagnosis of FMS came first and then came the CFS diagnosis about 6 months later. Yes, there are days I can't get out of bed, yes there are days (like today) where I can barely move. I miss my old life. I used to take spinning classes at the gym 3x a week and workout at least 5x a week every week. Now I can barely stretch.

To answer your question Engel. I have tried water therapy. It made me exhausted and I had to stop. Celexa's an antidepressant. I am on muscle relaxant (zanaflex) but today at the doc, I'm going to ask for a different one. I think my body's adapted to the one I'm on.

Thank you all for your generous replies and for ranting along with me. I don't wish anyone to be in pain, but it always helps to know I'm not alone.

Eric
  6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Physical therapy turned me around when I was at the very bottom.

It was rough. But also helpful.

Next day, yes, it was tough, but I would get in the pool, not to work out necessarily, but gently move around with the support of the water and to feel the differences the PT made in my body.

Little by little, I moved more. I found the water exceedingly helpful the day after. The temperature helped to cool down inflammatory responses, and moving the day afterwards helped the lymphatic system rid the body of toxins.

Good luck.
    June
  7. bljnebraska

bljnebraska New Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope you can find something that will provide some relief. Sorry I don't have any recommendations but I'm new to this. You can vent to me anytime you want.

Brian