Physical Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ermiller, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ermiller

ermiller New Member

Has anyone tried physical therapy for relief from pain? My doctor recommends this and I was just wondering if anyone found it helpful.

Thanks,
    Erin
  2. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Erin! I am currently going to physical therapy, and the therapist specializes in FM. She has been massaging my neck and along my spine and shoulders as well as teaching me safe exercises to strengthen my abs and neck. I am having MUCH less pain (it could be a coincidence, but I always have a lot of pain). She also has measured and my neck mobility has increased.

I usually have 3 or more migraines/week, and those are much better, too.

I have been a couple of other times to other therapists and have not had this kind of result, so I think it is imperative that the therapist really knows and understands FM.

Good luck to you! B
  3. jegleston

jegleston New Member

Hi Erin,

I have been going to PT twice weekly for about 2 months. I have to say that my pain level is reduced somewhat. However, it's hard to say whether the improvement is from the PT or something else (like better sleep or just the normal ups and downs of FMS). My progress, if any, has been very slow in my opinion.

You probably already know that Physical Therapy is mostly exercise guided and assisted by a licensed therapist. Exercise and FMS can be a bad combination for some people. There is a very fine line between doing enough to do you some good and doing too much which can significantly increase your pain.

Wishing you the best results,

JW

4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

When I started I was getting ultasound, massage & warm moist pack treatments.

Now they have given me exersizes - that word is almost laughable because I really would not consider them exersizes to me they are movements. I am only to do a comfortable # of them and gradually increase so I hopefully will not increase my discomfort.

I think you need to find the right person to work with. In the past I have gone to PT in other places and if they do not understand FM they are not effective for me.

Good luck!
    Kelly