physical therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Sep 21, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Started phys therapy this morning. Has anyone tried it and did it work for you?
  2. jole

jole Member

I had PT for approximately 3 months because of the knots in my neck, back, etc. and also for balance. Mostly what they did for me was set me up with the balance ball and taught me exercises to do at home for gentle strengthening and balance.

It did not help with the pain, but did give me a program to do at home that would not CAUSE pain. I need to get back with it now that I quit my job and have more time to do the exercises.

Hope it helps you~
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I did a 3 month regime of PT. It did teach me how to do stretching exercises that are not too hard on me. Its not the same approach in exercising that you would learn at your local gym. So from that view it was worth going for me.
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

last fall and opted to do the aqua therapy two afternoons a week for an hour. Part of the hour the therapy leads us in different water exercises and the rest of the time we can do what we want. They keep the water really warm and it feels good.

I have to say, though, that the physical therapy and water exercises hasn't decreased my pain any, but the stretching and exercising does help to keep my from becoming more disabled and to maintain some flexibility. My greatest fear is becoming homebound so I exercise several times a week. I am grateful I am able to do this.

I also met with an occupational therapist during my therapy last fall and she showed me different ways of doing things at home and work that are more comfortable and won't add to my pain. For example, when I vacuum, I need to walk with the vacuum instead of standing in one places and using my arms. That was really helpful.

So for me the therapy was worthwhile.

Ellen
  5. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks for all your replies. I will stick with it!!!!
  6. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

And yes I do find it helps. My hips get out of line and need to be exercised and strengthened every so often. It may take several visits before you see any improvement, so hang in there.
  7. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

Prickles, you bring up a good point about the tensing muscle thing...make sure your PT knows you have Fibro and they are trained in working with patients with it. The last PT I had definitley knew more about Fibro and how to work with it and me than any other I have gone to.
  8. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks everyone.....I talked to her alot yesterday about all of my symptoms and she seems to know alot about it...( I HOPE) She told me not to do any exercise until she can get my muscles relaxed. I mentioned to her about not being able to relax my muscles and she seemed to know what I was saying. She told me that it will seem like she isn't doing anything at first cuz she will be taking it so slow but I should stick with it and in time, it will finally help. I hope she is right!!!!! She said very slow exercise will start in time but for now I just need to trust her judgement....Thanks agsin to everyone!!
  9. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

went thru one round for back pain and it helped alot, then later went thru a round for neck pain and it also helped alot. I am so glad my dr recommended it