Physiciatrist--- Physical Medicine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lea, Sep 10, 2008.

1. lea

lea Member

I would appreciate it if you can please let me know your experiences with this type of doctor?

And,what does he/she do to treat--example: PT, or what type of meds etc?

thanks a lot
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2008]
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

3. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I managed this type of office for ten years.

A physiatrist is a medical doctor in the field of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

The types of cases he/she sees are stroke victims, auto accident victims, work injury victims, and the such.

Most patients are referred to the PM&R doc when they are ready for rehab - they do not treat patients when they are first injured or become ill.

Most types of rehab they prefer: physical, occupational or speech therapy; medication (very selective on pain medication).

The PM&R doc will refer the patient to the therapy, not do it themselves.

They also do EMG testing, like for Carpal Tunnel, etc.

A PM&R doctor does see patients with fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic pain syndromes, etc.

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to try to answer them.

4. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Hi Lillie,

Can you tell me if a PM&R would also treat CFS or only FM?

5. lea

lea Member

Hi Lillie:

Thanks so much for an informative reply.

What do you mean, that with pain medication, they are selective?

thanks a lot
  6. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I can only speak for the PM&R doc that I worked for, and it has been a while, but here goes:

He treats people with pain issues, but prefers to use therapy before giving meds.

I am not sure if he would treat FM or CFS, but he did treat those with MS, and that was to prescribe physical therapy.

On another note, when I first got sick, my FP doc sent me to both a PM&R doc and a neurologist, since we had no idea what was going on. The PM&R doc told me he could treat me but that the neurologist could also, and I would be better off being treated by the neurologist.

I sort of thought he was pushing me off because I have Medicaid, but can't say for sure.

Hope this helps your questions about PM&R docs.