Picture of my African Grey..She makes me feel better

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Oct 9, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hello everyone!
    Please go to my profile and look at the picture of my African Grey. Her name is Princess and she's 4 years old now.
  2. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

She's absolutely gorgeous! I miss being able to keep larger birds around, but my little guys are bite size compared to her! At only 4 years old you must be looking forward to a very long life with her around.

She may be your Princess, but I bet she gets treated like a queen!

Take care
    ~Amanda
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

What a beautiful Bird! So healthy looking.

My son and I go to the Pet Stores all the time to visit with the animals and we love seeing the parrots.

We have a little cockatiel and he is such a fun energetic guy and very good company.

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2005]
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Tell me - Did you get her when she was a baby ? They are the best talkers - so smart!

Are they difficult to handle - temperment wise what are they like? Do they get along with other small birds?

I love my little tiel, he doesn't bite too hard !!!

Thanks for sharing......
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Oh, jpach, she is such a doll! I can see why you love her so much.
  6. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I did get her when she was a baby. I got her from a lady that owns a Pet Store and breeds and hand feeds them. Because she was hand fed when she was little, she is very tame! She sits on my arm, crawls on my head, sits on my shoulder, gives kisses (and makes a kissing noise!), takes food gently from my mouth, talks in English and Spanish, does different voices (my daughters, my husbands, and mine), laughs real loud, barks, meows, tells the dogs to shut up and stop barking. My daughter is in college in FL, and Princess will talk to her on the phone! She is really amazing!
    I dont know if I would trust her with smaller birds, but I know she likes other African Greys.
  7. huckee

huckee New Member

I've heard that African Grey's are the best talkers. I inherited a Blue fronted (It think) Amazon. The person I inherited him from was very abusive to him before she died. He responded to me immediately. The one day we had a very mild reprimanding session with my boyfriends son who was 10. The son started to cry and then all of a sudden the bird "Pancho" bonded with the my boyfriends son. Pancho would follow him around the house up two flights of stairs. It didn't matter, if he could hear his voice he would find him. Of course he then started chasing me and my boyfriend if we were in eyeshot and I mean chasing. He could pick up speed like crazy and you had better get out of his way. Since then the relationship broke up bought he is still very bonded to the boy. Since they live so long, he now has a life time companion and I still have all my toes.
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

What a beautiful bird! I don't know that much about pet birds, but this one is gorgeous. If I didn't have a cat, and had more time to devote to learning to care for a bird, I'd have one.

The closest I get to birds now are the ones in the backyard at the feeder. :) A lot of them have migrated south.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Speaking of cats..
    I have a cat too, I actually had her first..Its so funny to watch the bird and the cat play! The cat is very patient with the bird...Princess will actually pretend like she is going to bite the cat's foot and then the cat will slowly lift her paw (shes declawed) and Princess will jump up in the air and laugh! Of course they are sitting on my lap while they play.
    They're both grey so I think they think they are related
    :)
  10. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

YOUR BIRD IS BEAUTIFUL.I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT BIRDS BUT IVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING ONE. HOW MUCH WORK ARE THEY HOW OFTEN DO YOU CLEAN CAGE. WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU GO AWAY

WE GO TO NORRIS LAKE .CAN YOU LEAVE THEM ?THE FEATHER PLUCKING SCARES ME THAT WOULD BE DEPRESSING. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. GAIL
  11. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

What a beauty your Princess is!!

I'm a "come-lately" bird lover. I have a 5 yr old green check conure that I adore.

He's not as good a talker as the Grey, but he tries his best. They're really good therapy, aren't they?

I got mine as a baby also, so Angelo doesn't seem to realize he's not a person. He's very affectionate also.

My parents had a parakeet when I was very young. I was bed-ridden for a year at age four. My older brother used to let it out of the cage and it would dive-bomb me! Ack! It wasn't till I "met" Angelo that I became a bird lover.

Mar
  12. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Honestly, my husband says Princess eats better than we do!
    I cut fresh fruit or veggies for her daily..or sometimes frozen veggies..Her cage is pretty big (about the size of a lounge chair) and I clean the bars with a sponge every night to remove any leftover food of droppings. In the bottom of the cage, I put grinded pecan shells instead of paper...they are more expensive, but last a long time and add to the freshness.
    We travel about 3-4 times a year for 4 days to 2 weeks at a time and I always take her to the place I got her for boarding. ($10 per day) I know she is comfortable there and in the best care. I cried the first time I left her! I call her from where we are and talk to her on the phone..(My husband loves that expense!)
    Nail trim and wing clip about every 4 months at $30 total at an Avian Vet.
    I love her dearly!
  13. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hi,I think you have a beautiful Congo. I LOVE the Greys. I also like the Timneh which is a little smaller than the Congo. They are the best talkers of the bird Kingdom!!
    "One Bird Lover to Another"
    Shirley
  14. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Princess is beautiful, and such good company I bet. June
  15. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I'm interested in the ground pecan shells you put on the bottom of Pricess' cage.

Paper is really messy looking, and many times Angelo just sits on the bottom and shreds it. Even when he doesn't, his tail feathers are very long they drag thru whatever mess there may be on the bottom of the cage. Messy, messy, messy.

Do you have a grate on the bottom of the cage? Or does Princess get to walk around on the ground shells?

I'm guessing the shells would look a lot nicer also.

Mar
  16. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I get the ground up pecan stuff in a 30 lb. bag and it lasts me at least 6 months. There is a grate between Princess and the pecans, so it isnt messy...When Princess is out of her cage and a toy falls in the pecan shells she tries to crawl underneath the grate, into the shells to get it! When she cant reach it she starts laughing at herself!
    :)
  17. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I'm going to check into the ground pecan shells. Thankfully there's a pet store on my corner.

Don't you *love* the bird laughs?? When I first go mine, I thought it was just a co-incidence that he laughed appropiately. My little guy *has* to know what he's doing, at least most of the time. Having a bird laugh at itself, or at it's owner, is just hysterical!! Don't you think?

Love & blessings
    Mar
  18. spasco

spasco New Member

darling! I have one also. He is 10yrs old. He calls me mom. I love him and would never part with him willingly. He is like my child and helps keep me going.

God bless! Stephanie
  19. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Carrie,
    Your baby is so cute! I remember when Princess was that size! Watching their eyes change is a cool thing too! As they get older they get that light grey color around their eyeballs!