Picture of Peace

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by bakron, Nov 15, 2003.

1. bakron

bakron New Member

An artist was commissioned by a wealthy man to paint something that would depict peace. After a great deal of thought, the artist painted a beautiful country scene. There were green fields with cows standing in them, birds were flying in the blue sky and a lovely little village lay in a distant valley. The artist gave the picture to the man, but there was a look of disappointment on his face. The man said to the artist, "This isn't a picture of true peace. It isn't right. Go back and try again.

The artist went back to his studio, thought for several hours about peace, then went to his canvas and began to paint. When he was finished, there on the canvas was a beautiful picture of a mother, holding a sleeping baby in her arms, smiling lovingly at the child. He thought, surely, this is true peace, and hurried to give the picture to the wealthy man. But again, the wealthy man refused the painting and asked the painter to try again.

The artist returned again to his studio. He was discouraged, he was tired and he was disappointed. Anger swelled inside him, he felt the rejection of this wealthy man. Again, he thought, he even prayed for inspiration to paint a picture of true peace. Then, all of a sudden an idea came, he rushed to the canvas and began to paint as he had never painted before. When he finished, he hurried to the wealthy man.

He gave the painting to the man. He studied it carefully for several minutes. The artist held his breath. Then the wealthy man said, "Now this is a picture of true peace." He accepted the painting, paid the artist and everyone was happy.

And what was this picture of true peace?? The picture showed a stormy sea pounding against a cliff. The artist had captured the furry of the wind as it whipped black rain clouds which were laced with streaks of lightening. The sea was roaring in turmoil, waves churning, the dark sky filled with the power of the furious thunderstorm.

And in the middle of the picture, under a cliff, the artist had painted a small bird, safe and dry in her nest snuggled safely in the rocks. The bird was at peace midst the storm that raged about her.

~ Unknown
    <hr>
    John 14:27

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (Words of our Lord, Jesus)

We cannot really have peace unless there is the storm, and we are sheltered in the safety that our Heavenly Father offers through Jesus, His Son; and the gift of the Holy Spirit, His Comforter!

Amen!
  2. danny3861

danny3861 New Member

Thanks for the inspiration this morning.
    Why is so tuff some days to really turn all a persons troubles over to the Lord? I wonder this sometimes. Imean, I beleive in him, I pray to him and thank him for his blessings, but somedays theres that feeling of still worrying about your troubles.

Lord, help me be strong anf to turn everything over to you.
    Amen.

Danny
  3. kathyrere

kathyrere New Member

This is hard for me sometimes too! and if you try to do it alone God will sure let you.

So I also pray for strenght for us both.
    god be with us all.
    in prayer kathyre
  4. Yesh

Yesh New Member

When my son was 10 he had a tumor the size of a golf ball growing inside of his spinal cord with a nerve running through the center of the tumor. The only way to completlly remove the tumor was to cut the never above and below the tumor. At the time of surgery the doctors did not know whcih nerve they cut to remove the tumor.

On a day when our son had several visitors, my husband and i decided we would get away from the hospital for a while and went to church. As usual, people from the church came up to give us words of encouragemt.

However, instead of them ministering to us, and giving us words of encouragement, my husband and I were ministering and encouraging them. Finely one of the members of the church asked "how can you have such peace with this storm raging about you.

The answer was simple, we placed our faith upon the rock that would not be shaken during the storm and we placed our son in the hands of a loving and healing God. If our son was left paralized from the surgery, we knew it was part of God's plan.

My son was not paralized from the surgery. as a matter of fact the doctors do not know which nerve was cut to remove the tumor because my son has no nerve deficet anywhere in his body. Our son's hospital recovery was swift and he was released from the hospital several days earlier than the doctors anticipated. Not only that, on the day our son was released form the hospital he snuck out of the house. My husband and I found him roller blading with his friends.

This has been my son's favorite bible passage since he was 6 or 7. My peace i leave with you; my peace i give to you. I do not give to you as the world give. Do not let your heart be trouble and do not be afraid.

God Bless

Yesh
  5. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I read this story back around 4 years ago or more. At the time it meant something different to me. Now it means something so more. I understand it now. I thank you for sharing it.. You are a great inspiration!