Picture of Santa's Reindeer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jan 3, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Here's a picture of Santa's Reindeer(LOL) relaxing.I'm sure it's having a well deserved rest after a hectic few weeks.
    Can anyone guess the Scottish mountain range in the background??
    Check my profile for the pic.[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2007]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow nice photo! Can't Name the Mountian Range, But the Reindeer looks Content!,,,,,,,,,S
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I WANT him. Is he basking in the sun near Carnedd Llewelyn?
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

It must be the beautiful Fan Nedd, in the Breacon Beacons.

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2007]
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I didn't know they had reindeer in Scotland.

Bought some old copies of OPERA NEWS at the library. $4 new; 25 cents used. Just the kind of bargain a kenny (sp?)
    Scotsman would appreciate.

Anyway it has 6 pages on Edinburgh and Glasgow and lots of
    great pictures. The focus in on opera, of course.

Way back in the l930s the Glasgow Grand Opera Society presented the first productions in the United Kingdom of Idomeneo by Mozart, Lew Troyens by Berlioz, etc.

Way to go, Glasgow!

The only thing I know about mountains in Scotland is that James Burke talks about the Victorian weather station on Ben Nevis (tallest mountain in the UK) and how developments there led to the invention of the atom bomb.

You live in such an interesteing place, Paul.
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yeh we do not bad for such a small country.Only wish my health was tip-top as I would love to go walking & sightseeing up in the Highlands.
    Don't know much about Opera's though.
    It's a canny Scotsman,LOL.But the word canny is also used in the infamous Scottish slang terminology,such as,
    ye canny (can not) dae that,haha.
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

photo. Is it the Cairngorms, I hang my head in shame that I dont know.....lol.

8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I;m guessing he's at the Cairngorm Raindeer Center, Loch Morlich, Glen More Forest Park, Aviemore, Scotland. Still don't know the mountain range behind him.
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

What a beautiful photo....I have no idea where he is.

I just wish my health would improve enough for me to make a trip to see your beautiful country.

Nancy B
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Glad you enjoyed the photo.Came across it on the BBC website.
    Well done Rosie & Elliespad.The mountains are indeed the Cairngorms.According to Wikipedia:
    "The Cairngorms are a mountainous region in the Eastern Scottish Highlands, Scotland, United Kingdom, consisting of a large elevated plateau adorned with low, rounded glacial mountains. This area became Scotland's second national park (see Cairngorms National Park) on 1st September 2003. The mountains are in the Scottish council areas of Aberdeenshire, Moray, Angus, Perth and Kinross and Highland.

The Cairngorms feature the highest, coldest and snowiest plateaux in the British Isles and are home to four of the five highest mountains in Scotland:

Ben Macdhui (1309 m)
    Cairn Gorm (1245 m)
    Braeriach (1296 m)
    Cairn Toul (1293 m)
    They were created at the end of the last ice age, when the ice caps that covered most of northern Scotland remained static and formed the rounded summits of the mountains of the area. The many valleys are littered with glacial deposits from the period of glacial retreat".