Pie Crust

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asatrump, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Do you prick the bottom crust of a two crust apple pie?

I read if you cook the apples until soft, with the sugar etc. that you need twice as many apples, but they layer nicely and there is no space between the filling and the upper crust.

Should there be a vent in the top crust?

If I want a shiny crust with sugar, do I brush egg white on before baking or ten minutes before the pie is done?

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I never prick the bottom crust..maybe others do.

It does take a lot of apples for apple pie- 7 cups at least. I would put a vent in the top crust. Also, I brush the top with beaten egg (yolk and all) as that gives it a more golden color. Sugar is also nice on top.

Good luck on your pie!
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

But only if I'm pre-baking it (hmmm...thinking I don't remember *not* pre-baking, so maybe I do this all the time?). I think I started doing it so that the bottom would bubble up and bake -- and the bottom would stay flat when it bakes. But you can weigh it down while it bakes, so it stays flat that way.
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

We bake alot of apple pies--a family favorite. I have never pricked the bottom crust; I would imagine the filling would ooze out. You need alot of apples--I always mound them high so when they settle during baking, it will be filled and not with a pocket between fruit and crust,

I always vent my pies with three 2 inch side slits on a diagonal. I keep and eye on the pie and will tent it mid-baking if necessary.

For a shiny crust, brush with the beaten egg yolk, I like to sprinkle the brown Sugar In The Raw on the crust because it holds up better in the baking process--doesn't melt as much as regular sugar. It adds a nice little crunch and your pie looks 'dressed up.' Also works well with crostada. Try it--I guarantee you'll love it. Enjoy!!
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

2 cups flour
    1 cup fat (butter, Crisco, combination or...lard!)

Cut fat into flour. You can do this the "old fashioned" way with a hand tool for blending pastry, two knives or use fingers to mush cut-up fat into flour until it is like a...well, DOUGH.

I tried for years using the old-fashioned way. Then I discovered the FOOD PROCESSOR, and I keep that clunky old machine for making crusts alone! Almost never fails to help make a light, flaky crust.

I use butter. Take 2 cubes of butter (1 cup), cut into small pieces and put into procesor with flour and whirl a few seconds. Pulse on and off a couple times and slowly add about 1/4 cup COLD water. Keep pulsing and STOP when it just begins to clump. Done.

Most recipes say to refrigerate dough at least half an hour before rolling out. I don't always wait.

Tip. the butter should be COLD. One of my best crusts was when I used butter that I'd forgotten to thaw out from freezer; I still was able to whack it into small pieces before I put it into processor.

Rolling it out is tricky. I use wax paper set on dampened counter-top to keep it from slipping. Use as much flour as needed to prevent sticking.

For shiny crust, I think you're supposed to brush egg white on when it's at least half way cooked and then sprinkle sugar.

I love pie. My favorite's rhubarb (or peach, apricot, berry, cherry, apple....)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2008]