Pilates and Yoga

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rea, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Rea

Rea New Member

Has anyone had luck with Pilates? I need to do something desperately, but with fm, cfids, and especially spinal stenosis I don't know.

My chiroprator says Yoga would be very good.

Pilates interests me though because of strengthing the abdominal muscles.
  2. Rea

Rea New Member

Has anyone had luck with Pilates? I need to do something desperately, but with fm, cfids, and especially spinal stenosis I don't know.

My chiroprator says Yoga would be very good.

Pilates interests me though because of strengthing the abdominal muscles.
  3. sybil

sybil New Member

i used to do pilates for the osteoarthritis i have in my spine and hip and it helped.but when i started to get the symptoms i now know to be FMS,i was totally unable to do even the most gentle pilates because the pain was unbearable.
    some people can do both pilates and yoga with our DD's maybe their pain is under control,mine obviously isn't.

i do hydrotherapy at the moment at the physio department in my local hospital and i find that excruciatingly painful,even though the lovely warm water is very soothing and the exercise seems fine while i'm doing it,because i'm weightless.but for 5 days after hydro,i can barely move!

so i think it is a case of try it and see,

sybilxxx
  4. paula45

paula45 New Member

I did yoga for a while and loved the way it made me feel (after I got over the incredible soreness). I toned up quickly and looked great. HOWEVER, just BE CAREFUL. During one particular not careful movement, I gave myself two compression fractures in my T spine and have had constant pain from that since last March. It's just another reason for me to feel sad... I do wish you luck and recommend yoga. Just be careful. I didn't know ...

Paula
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2002]
  5. Ness

Ness New Member

I tried Pilates a while back and it was just too hard on my neck and upper back....It caused me to have very intense pain in these areas and took awhile for the pain to go away when I stopped.

I find that Yoga stretches and some of the poses are very helpful...along with deep breathing exercises ...they seem to help me alot. Also, just plain walking.

Listen to YOUR body and if it HURTS!!! STOP

Good Luck to you
    Peace
    Ness
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The popularity of Pilates means there are a lot of unqualified teachers out there. Unlike with Yoga, if you do some Pilates exercises using the wrong form, it can injure you.

Yoga is a much more gentle exercise for us and correct breathing is emphasized. We have a Yoga teacher here with FMS who is trying to put together a class for people with FMS. She was at our last support group meeting (the first one I attended) in Cape Coral at the hospital. A lot of people signed up and I hope she does get the class going.

I use a beginner Yoga tape made by a doctor which emphasizes breathing technique. When I do the movements and breathe as instructed, I get air into areas of my lungs which never get filled with air otherwise. Some of this I can do just sitting or standing.

Love, Mikie
  7. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

by Denise Austin. The first part is simple Pilates which is pretty basic, and feels pretty good. Once you get good at that paet, which I have not yet, there is a second part that combines Pilates and yoga. It may be worth a try.
  8. JP

JP New Member

I have the back from...anyway; I have spinal stenosis too, as one of many conditions in my back. Exercise is a daily issue for me. In order to get moving I use pain medication before I can do anything physical. I used to think that was a terrible idea! Now it seems to be a necessary evil. Life is full of pros and cons of all sorts.

I alternate my exercise big time. It is almost like tricking my back. One day I will walk, the next I might do water exercises (best for my back). I also have a gym in my home that I use 3-4 times a week for muscle strength and tone. I engage in yoga some (video) and have not tried pilates. I also use an exercise ball and I seem to get in trouble with a few of the stretches. Some days the exercise ball stretching feels like the right thing to do.

One thing that really helps my spinal stenosis is to lean forward (touch my toes) and hang there for a minute or so, several times a day. In my case, it helps to give a little more room for the nerves that are being compressed...opens things up a bit, reduces pain for a moment. Please don't follow my lead...it may be bad medicine for you.

In short, start small and listen to your body. It will tell you what to do over the long haul. I always do less than my mind thinks I can. This seems to keep me from extra pain and suffering the days that follow.

My best to you in your efforts...jan
  9. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hello Rhea,
    I started hatha yoga two months ago and am now up to 8 postures every morning. I hadn't exercised in 7 years so I am taking it very slowly and actually only add one new posture a week. I'm also doing the yoga deep breathing exercises as I'm most definitely oxygen deprived. So far I've lost 2 pounds and am feeling a bit better oxygenated. I am following an old yoga book I used in college and also picked up a new yoga book in Borders Bookstore. I won't take a class or follow a tape as I don't want to feel pressured to move faster than my body can.

Love, Jasmine
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

I bought a set of Pilates tapes, and they even came with a mat. The problem for me with the Pilates mat work is holding up my head during the exercises. The muscles in my neck just will not tolerate that, and I end up with spasms and awful pain and headaches for days after. So, if I do the tapes, I keep my head down. I don't know how much that negates the effectiveness of the abdominal strengthening, though. I think if I want to do Pilates, I need a teacher who will listen to my needs, as that would be safer.

Yoga is usually good for me, in fact I may join another class soon. I do yoga stretches every day, and just avoid things like head and shoulder stands. There are different types of yoga, and you may want to research which would be best for you. I believe there is information about this on the Prevention Magazine website.

Best of luck, and happy stretching!
    Peace,
    Beth.
  11. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I tried Pilates when it was first offered at my gym. I couldn't do half the exercises, and the ones I did do caused me so much pain! I will never go back to it - I'm afraid. I would like to try yoga, but also don't want to take a class. Maybe I'll buy a tape. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good tape?

Annette2
  12. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I haven't got to go this past month and a half, but I really love doing them. I can tell I haven't got to go lately and I'm going to start back next week. It really helps me with tension and stress also.(I defintaly need some help in this area!) I was also doing a fit ball class, the teacher made it a lot of fun.
    Happy Halloween,
    Tracy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2002]
  13. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

My sweet hubby just bought the Pilates DVD's for me, thinking that would be gentle enough for me to do it. I am going to give it a try. I hope it works. By the way, on the basic tape, she shows you 2 different ways to go the exercise, and includes instructions for how to them if you have back or neck problems. I'll let y'all know it works.
    Duff
  14. sybil

sybil New Member

i was taught how to do pilates from a hospital physiotherapist and she told me you have to be very careful to do the exercises in the correct posture.that might sound obvious,but it took several sessions under her supervision and correction,before i was able to do the exercises correctly.
    if you are following a tape or video it can be hard to get the correct posture.i would advise going to a class with a qualified instructor,who will position you in a way were you can't do any damage to yourself,as incorrect positioning can make you a whole lot worse.especially if you have spinal problems,or osteoarthritis.
    when i was able to do pilates it certainly helped the pain i had from osteoarthritis in my spine and my necl problems,

sybilxxx
  15. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I got a Pilates workout about 3 weeks ago. I really liked the excercizes on it but I found it really made my back and neck worse. You can put a pillow under your head if you need to but still my neck was really bothering me. I think I`m going to have to send it back.
  16. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hey Sue,
    I just follow two yoga books. I don't follow a tape. By the way, I noticed in my little rural library that they have some good yoga books and several yoga tapes. Maybe you could try some tapes from the library and see which ones are good and worth purchasing.

Rhea,
    I also noticed while I was at TJ Maxx the other day that they were selling two pieces of Pilates equipment. One was a round black ring and I don't know what the other one was. I bought my yoga mat at TJ Maxx and they also have some sort of Hawaiian yoga tapes and music on sale. I bought some hawaiian meditative tapes and they are very soothing but I do my yoga in complete silence. I think Pilates would be too vigrous for me and I think it's best to have a teacher for Pilates as it's important to do the exercises exactly correctly or you risk injury

Love, Jasmine