pilates & increased pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fushia, Jul 12, 2006.

1. fushia

fushia New Member

Hi,
    I'm hoping there is someone out there who can give me some advice. I'm currently in the process of being diagnosed, x-rays, an MRI scan & blood tests seem to have eliminated most things, it seems likely I have fibromyalgia. I've been advised to take pain killers, therapeutic massage, acupuncture etc. & do excercise such as swimming, walking, pilates. I'm finding pilates is causing me a lot of pain for the following few days. I'm only doing level 1 & don't force the positions if uncomfortable. I even tried a simple session of yoga & suffered for the next 2 days. Is this what it's going to be like from now on or do I have to work through a bad spell to get better? thanks.
    Fushia.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  2. artseyone

artseyone New Member

Fushia,
    I'm so glad to be able to discuss both yoga and pilates..
    I was diagnosed 20 yrs ago by a neurosurgeon who sent me home w/a pamphlet and a script for elavil to help me sleep.

Two yrs ago I attended yoga classes faithfully and yes it increased my pain a lot..I have hyperflexibility and my sacroilliac would get out of place. I even bought tapes to use at home..

Now, just 9 weeks ago my dr who has a therapy dept also wanted me to try the pilates table...Ow..ow like a good sport, i went 8 times...had to stop because of pain increase..Now he has me doing water therapy..
    Also, 3 years ago I attended Pilates classes and found them so intense my pain went through the roof...

So, what should we do?/ I walk my dog each day.

3. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I haven't tried pilates, but yoga makes my hips ache terribly. I tried a beginner version for a month thinking I just needed to tough it out, but the pain never stopped.

I think we are all different, but I have found that any exercise in which I hold a muscle contraction causes a lot of pain. I can lift light weights as long as I don't stop in the middle of the movement.

Walking is the least painful exercise for me as long as I stretch my hips out when I get home and when they are bad put ice on them too!

Where do you have your most pain?

Good luck.
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Think we all can do some kind of exercise, and for those who are able usually haven't had fibro for long.

Being an ex-athlete, I went from running 4 miles a day/then racewalking/then treadmill/then just walking & I still had to lower my activity. Last straw after I developed interstitial cystitis, can't even walk more than a block.

Just scooting into a car where you tend to twist gets my back & hip going; then often travels down my legs & end up w/sciatica.

The only exercise that I could ever do was ride a horse. Think that was because I rode most of my life. I'm going to give that a try again, as I believe they also give me healing energy.

LIGHT************carole
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

is what is responsible for laying my neck shoulder and upper back out for the past three months...it was just too much for me and this was a gentle class!!!

I find that working at home with pilates ball and cd works better and also gentle yoga. I do stretches each day and try and walk 2 to 3 miles and swim.

I also play a little soft badminton and tennis and basketball just for five mins or so but can do raquet ball for 20 mins when I am doing well. I have to watch for flares though.

So watch what your own body can and cannot take. Although I am fit, the pilates class was just wrong for me.

Love Anne Cromwell
  6. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I do Yoga on a daily basis and when I started it caused me a lot of pain but the pain lessened, and some of the moves I learning that I was doing incorrectly.

As for PIlates I would say that is an advanced form of Yoga and I do that maybe once a week.

I have a Balance Ball and work on rhat 2-3 times a week.

If I can't do any of those I work up and dowwn the staos and light stretching.

Yoga and Pllates is not for everyone, it all comes down to finding the right type of exercisse that will suit your body.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Do you have CFIDS? One of the symptoms of CFIDS is post-exertional malaise. Which means that you feel worse after exercise.

My advice would be, no matter what the doctor says, start very slowly and gently. If the exercise you are doing makes your symptoms flare, stop it. Try something more gentle....walking...water exercise...stretches.

Lolalee
  8. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I do yoga everyday and it is one of the things that has helped most with feeling better and stronger. start slow - go to a gentle level class or get a private instructor at the begining. the key is to start really slow and listen to your body. don't do the positions that seem aggravating. do the very basic, gently yoga stuff. check with any yoga studio - most have gentle classes. also, what's great about yoga is that it will eventually become something that you can do on your own at home. no charge! it is a wonderful tool to have.

9. fushia

fushia New Member

Dear all who responded, thank you so much for the replies & advice. Yes I did do all the warm-ups & downs & only the lowest levels but having taken on-board all that you say I think I am just not ready for Pilates or maybe even yoga yet. I think I need to take some time out to go for a few gentle swims as the water is so supportive. I've also been doing Tai Chi for the last 4 weeks & find that doesn't hurt but is incredibly relaxing.

thanks again,
    Fushia. :eek:)
  10. fushia

fushia New Member

p.s. A couple of you have suggested CFIDS, I'm English but I beleive this is what we call ME. This sounds a bit more scarey than FMS. However I find if I'm trying to tell people what is wrong with me they usually haven't heard of FMS & sometimes seem to think quite often it could be in my mind or "I'm a little stressed". If you say ME (in UK) everybody has heard of that & understands more. I'm sure I'll have to get used to it & dealing with lots of "alternative therapy advice" it can get quiet confusing.

Fushia.