pilates on dvd

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

who can do this program without any help from a real person?
    I'm just not sure if I can figure "the core" and how to make sure I am doing it right, I'm not sure if I want to spend $70 on 1 day a week class for 5 weeks or if I should buy the dvd on ebay for less then the course. any input on this subject??

Ann
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Just clarifying.... Do you mean that you are questioning taking a $70 class as opposed to buying a dvd and doing it yourself, at home?

Is it necessarily pilates that you want? What is the goal of the exercise? There are so many dvd's that you could get for so many different things, depending on what you are wanting to accomplish.

I've been looking at several yoga, pilates, even exercise for arthritis, and all kinds of other exercise dvd's (I have the fog at the moment).

I think I'd be a lot more comfortable doing it at home instead of in front of a bunch of other people, but you have to have a lot of self control, or better yet, a partner (accountability partner) to keep you on schedule, understand when you really do need to rest instead of exercise, and still encourage you to continue at a pace that you can somewhat comfortably do.

I tried a couple of exercise classes. I loved them, but I couldn't do a lot of what they were doing. I also had surgery for a broken back several years ago, so my range of motion and ability to tolerate some of the exercises made it eventually too difficult to continue. The instructor was a close friend and even showed me how to modify things, but I pretty much had to do everything different than everyone else. I felt a little awkward.

I've heard that water aerobics is really good for fm/cfs/mps. I've heard that it makes it a lot easier to exercise with fm, being in the water, and that it really helps the pain. They teach a class at our Civic Center here. I unfortunately have a phobia of being seen in public in a swimsuit right now.

Depending on what you are wanting to accomplish, maybe we can "shop" together.

Good luck on whatever you decide to pursue,
    MrsJ