pilates

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Has anyone tried this kind of workout? if so how did you handle it? is it safe for people like us with our illness to do this kind of program. your thoughts please.

Ann
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Thanks Storm,
    I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Ann
  3. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

I love Winsor Pilates. They are absolutely great! She has a group of exercisers doing the exercises and one is for people who have neck/shoulder/back problems. You can also use a pillow for your neck. I feel much better after doing them. My routine only lasts 20 minutes. You do it about 3 times a week. There's a lot of stretching to it, too, which is great. My rheumatologist told me it was fine to do. He said anything to get moving is good. Plus it tones you up and makes you even stand and walk taller. You can actually see a difference in a few weeks. I highly recommend it. I've tried other pilates (like thru our church groups, etc.) and hated it. They used another type of pilates. It was confusing and no fun!!
  4. reckabek

reckabek New Member

winsor or from ON demand cable.... Dont try to be as flexible as them or nearly flexable, unless u r...cause man the other day...OMG i could bearly walk, but it is a wonderful muscle stretching excersising, and stregthing...and usually always considt of your CORE, abs..that gives u all the support.... best to ya...beck
  5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

When I first started Pilates, I brought my book (no video at that time) to the physical therapist. He checked off which exercises to start with.

After awhile, I brought the book back, he added more.

Third time, he handed the book back and told me to proceed slowly but go for it.

Pilates has done a lot to improve my posture.

Fondly,
    June
  6. JTyre

JTyre New Member

A rhuemy suggested Pilates. She specified that yoga would not be good but Pilates would. I follow a video and use a bench (QVC.) I modify the exercises. I do okay with the leg exercises and have a hard time w/ arm exercises. I have no upper body strength. I do think that I have improved and I am able to do more now than when I started in March. I DO get sore but it does give me energy and lifts my spirits. Some weeks I can do it 3 days in a row and other weeks I have to cut back to every other or even every thrid day. I push myself because I am trying to lose weight. I had lost some height (1.5") because I have osteopenia. I had my Dr. measure me 2 months after I started Pilates and I gained 1" back. I could not believe it!
    Take care,
    Jackie
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have them dvd's but i have bad shoulders and joints not good form me...maybe someone else..

jodie
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

I spent over 6 months building up enough muscle to be able to use one of these machines, I have structural problems and neuropathies along with ME/borelliosis, so they made it all a lot more challenging. I have also made some progress generally so that’s enabled me to take on something that would have been impossible before.

I was born with scoliosis and other structural problems, joint hypermobility didn’t help matters over the years, nor did the sports and physical activities I did whilst trying to ignore and break through the pain and other related issues. It’s only recently that I’ve fully understood the implications of my structural/hypermobility problems and how they affected me since early childhood. The consequences of my ME/borreliosis, with the classic neurological and muscles abnormalities, made matters many times worse.

Yoga aggravated my spine problems (cervical and lower spine) and just hurt my hamstrings etc, it turned out to be pain with little or no gain. Then I tried y dan but ended up only being able to do a few of the moves/stretches, however one Tai Chi DVD provided some safer and more useful stretches. A qi gong pose, which involves body awareness and opening up the spine, helped a bit. After a while I plateaued and realised I had to do something about my structural issues which would also enable me to bypass the neuropathies and be effective within the limited time I can exercise my muscles.

Hence the pilates machine.

The first 3 weeks the leg stretches really hurt, trying to relax whilst doing them and when they kept going into painful spasms afterwards, helped me to improve my relaxation techniques. ;-) Even though it hurt it was exciting to actually achieve those movements, so that kept my spirits up. Since a series of medical bungles 20 years ago I lost all my core strength, and had problems connecting with the muscles needed to rebuild it. Consequently not only did I struggle to sit, stand, or walk, but I was also unable to rise from a flat surface without a lot of effort and developing my own techniques.

Despite the hypermobility in many joints I had short hamstrings; ballet, gymnastics, yoga etc didn’t help and would hurt my lower spine. My sacroiliac joint is unstable, my pelvis badly tilted and lop-sided. My spine’s pretty awful too.

I have just concentrated on the lower core muscles and my lower spine. I started out on 3 leg stretches using the pilates machine, then went up to five, then added in another two using the bands. That’s where I am now. The pulses are still too much for muscles but I can add them in later.

This is the first time my hamstrings have been this long, when my legs, pelvis and lower back spasm or contract I just do a few stretches on the machine, and that really helps. I get some discomfort in my lower spine but it’s tolerable and less painful than before. Though I still cannot consciously fire some muscles, including my core muscles, I am regaining some strength there. Now less than 2 months after using my pilates machine I can sit up from the lying position.

Wow.

I only use 2 resistance cords, as against the 3 or 4 recommended for leg stretches, I ended up hurting my knees when trying 3 resistance cords. Using 2 resistance cords means the core muscles have to work harder, 3 or 4 cords work the legs harder.

Many PTs warn against the dangers of yoga with back problems but they will often recommend pilates. A pilates machine supports the whole of the spinal cord so there’s a relatively low risk of injury.

TC Tansy