PILL SIZES: Rich or anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Lately, I have bought pills, even from Pro Health, that are just too large to swallow.

I know some pill manufacturers will print the pill picture actual size on the bottle.

Would it be possible to sometime include a page showing all the pill sizes for the supplements? I just threw away a lot of stuff I just cannot swallow.

Also, it would be useful if we could know: may be halved; can be emptied onto apple sauce.

Any one else have this same problem-I can swallow an asprin (JUST about) but the Omega pills and MSM capsules and the Fibro Multi are just too large for those with swallowing problems.

Any chance?

Love Annie Cromwell
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Goodness, don't toss them! You can pretty much take anything with applesauce, the worst that will happen is that some of it will get digested before it gets absorbed. Or buy small empty capsules and put crushed pills in them. I open up big capsules of amino acids and squeeze out half of them in water everyday.
    Not because I can't swallow them, but because I only do half the amount 3x per day.

Only things like time released medication you couldn't do this way.

best wishes,

karen
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

So I can sprinkle the MSM on apple sauce then? I do break some pills, but how do we know what is time release, would they normally be in a capsule with those crystals?

I cannot believe no one else seems to be having this problem of swallowing-thought i would have gotten a few responses.

Thanks for yours.

Love Annie
  4. llama

llama New Member

Hi,

I also have trouble swallowing big pills. When possible, of course, I break them in half.

I don't take a great number of supplements...most of my meds are prescription ones. I not only have trouble with the size but also the sheer volume of pills. I start to get nauseated when I'm taking so many pills and having to drink so much fluid!!

At the start of my day, I usually try to line up what I need to take and just gradually try to get them down. I know that I often don't take meds exactly when I should, but I just do the best I can.

Do you have trouble swallowing anything else? My mom used to have to get her esophagus dilated every couple of years. They told her to avoid rice, pasta, corn and a few other things when she was having trouble swallowing.

I'm beginning to think maybe it's hereditary, I'm in my late 40's and that was just about the age that she was when she started having to get the dilation treatments.

Is crushing the pills and putting it in a dab of jelly or applesauce an option...I know with some pills that wouldn't be an option. This may sound silly, but I've noticed that I can swallow my pills easier when I drink something carbonated...seems like the fizziness helps??

Sorry I really wasn't much help. Just thought I could at least commiserate with you!

Take care...........Jill...........
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I have trouble swallowing lettuce, spinach, spaghetti, anything that is stringy at all.

I do break pills in half, and I have heard that crushing all but time release just slightly reduces their efficacy is all.

I do get upper endo every couple of years due to reflux issues, and I agree, carbonated water does help swallowing or swigging from a bottle.

Love Annie
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I have trouble swallowing lettuce, spinach, spaghetti, anything that is stringy at all.

I do break pills in half, and I have heard that crushing all but time release just slightly reduces their efficacy is all.

I do get upper endo every couple of years due to reflux issues, and I agree, carbonated water does help swallowing or swigging from a bottle.

Love Annie