Pillow Top Bed Hurt Me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Sep 24, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Well, after spending alot of money on an expensive pillow top bed, I started to have terrible pain and stiffness in my lower back and my right leg. I didn't know what it was. But it was horrible. And I suffered for months with it. I even started to get numbness in my feet. Finally, I decided to try flipping the mattress over, even though the store had told me you shouldn't do that. Well, the firmer side was exactly what I needed! I finally felt like my back and hips were being supported and I slept better and didn't wake up with the back pain. And of course, it's way past the return date. So now I'm stuck with an expensive bed that I can only sleep on one side of. If it ends up getting bad in a year, I'll just get a cheap mattress and keep the frame and boxspring.

I knew I needed a rock to sleep on. But I had the bad fibro pain when I was in the furniture store and I picked a bed that wasn't hitting those points. All the beds in the furniture store seemed too soft to me. I'm the type that needs a firm rock or I end up with back problems.

Just wanted to post to let anyone else know who is thinking of buying a soft pillow top bed, you might want to rethink it. I didn't want to believe that it was the cause of my pain because I had spent so much on it. But once I flipped it over to the side without the topping, there was a huge difference.

I still have leg pain from getting on and off the bed. It was much lower in the store. And when they delivered it and set it up, it was like a foot higher. I'm yanking a muscle or ligament out of my leg getting on and off it. I've been using a stepstool, but even with that, I'm still having a problem. It's amazing how much a bed can hurt and ruin your life.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Sorry you're having so much pain. I also had a bed that was too high and we got another bed frame that was lower to the floor. That solved the problem. Maybe you could do that. It's funny how different we all are. I have severe fibro and the only mattress I can sleep on is a pillowtop. When we used to go on vacation I'd have to pad the bed with blankets and then put the sheet on top to get any sleep. GB66
  3. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

after two or three mattresses I finally found KINGSDOWN!! I love my bed!!! Its not a foam bed (name of it slipps me right now)
    its so soft and I don't have hip or knee pain.. just soft allover.. wasnt cheap but itsso worth it... When I don't feel good I will just rest in my bed...godsend!!
    tempurpedic!!!! not in love with them still a bit firm for me[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I was in fibro remission for about a year and a half but after it came back, I put my 2" foam mattress topper back on. I always have a lot of pain in my back and legs, so I did not pay that much attention until I noticed that when I had to go sleep on the HARD cotton batting mattress of the futon in another room when my husband's snoring kept me up, I noticed my back DID NOT hurt, even though I would have expected the opposite.

Long story short, I took the topper off and my back felt better. It still hurts me and I have a pillow top mattress so maybe I will flip mine over too!