Pillows and neck pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Oct 13, 2002.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Does anyone here who has neck pain use a pillow that they really, really like? I've tried so many types and styles, some I've found on my own, some recommended by a chiropractor, the last one I went to. Some are awful, some help me sleep well for a short while then either don't help or make things worse. Just wondering what other folk's experiences have been and if anyone has any great suggestions for not waking up with stiff neck and shoulder muscles every morning.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

Does anyone here who has neck pain use a pillow that they really, really like? I've tried so many types and styles, some I've found on my own, some recommended by a chiropractor, the last one I went to. Some are awful, some help me sleep well for a short while then either don't help or make things worse. Just wondering what other folk's experiences have been and if anyone has any great suggestions for not waking up with stiff neck and shoulder muscles every morning.

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

I just got my cuddle ewe underquilt (love it) and got the "free" wool pillow with it. Best pillow I have ever used. (Like you, I have been searching for years.)
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a CuddleEwe pillow, tried it but didn't like it, but I think I'll try it again! Good idea!

Beth.
  5. DebraP

DebraP New Member

Hi Beth, I find that switching my pillow periodically helps me. Sometimes I use a buckwheat, sometimes a cervical roll...sometimes nothing. Currently I'm using a "comfort U" pillow. It's a gigantic horse-shoe shaped thing that is just wonderful. I can move it into nearly any position and it supports me head to toe. Best of luck. Debra
  6. sarah

sarah New Member

something that my doctor on call told me when I was at my wits' end about my neck pain from my mattress (I needed to turn it round) and what helped it to get better also was him telling me to only use one pillow instead of two, as I was using two. It's not a special pillow or anything but it seems to have made a difference only using one. love Sarah.
  7. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

Hi Beth

I've used an orthopedic pillow for almost 10 yrs now. Where I Go - My Pillow Goes - Even On Airplanes.

My pillow has one side of it that is small and contours with my neck. The other side of it has a larger 'roll' which I'm unable to use.

I purchased mine from my physical therapist. I just looked at my pillow to see if the Tag (Label) was still there. Uh sorry I removed it.

Gentleness
  8. clueless

clueless New Member

I stick with my down pillow that I can form any way I want it.Sometimes I get a touchy neck but believe it is because i move to ease my legs which give me so much pain.Don`t know if there is a perfect pillow for everyone. I can`t use a foam pilow or hard one as my neck is so sore I can`t tolerate it.People have different problems with their neck. I have two protruding discs which make my life miserable. Hope you can find the right pillow for you, Where I go my pillow goes We go to Florida for the winter and I take it to motels and use it down there. Good luck in your search.
  9. crickett

crickett New Member

I wish I had a dollar for each pillow that I've tried. The one that has worked best over the last 20 years, came from the Chiropractor. I usually replace it every 2-3 years. It actually has four sides that really support the neck very well. There is a narrow soft, wide soft, narrow firm, and wide firm side. I think it costs about $30.00. The name of it is Pillow Pedic and is made by Foot Levelers, Inc in Roanoke VA.
    I always say if there is a slim chance that something will help, even a little, it is worth a try.
    :)
  10. Michell

Michell New Member

And it goes everywhere with me also. It's a lifesaver.
    shell
  11. cpalance

cpalance New Member

on the market I think. My latest effort has been a "laytex" foam pillow. They are hard to find, it is not the memory foam that is hard as a rock, it is very soft and airy. So far so good, and I have major neck problems. They are making mattresses out of this "laytex" foam now and just starting to make the pillows. I think I finally found one @ Bed,Bath and Beyond, it is wonderful.

Cindy
  12. BethM

BethM New Member

for all your help and suggestions. It's also helpful knowing others are on the same quest, with a similar situation.

Enjoy the week and sleep well!

Peace,
    Beth.