Pills after weight loss surgery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by L1lly, Jun 6, 2003.

1. L1lly

L1lly New Member

Craftyjody or anyone else who's had gastric bypass surgery, can you still take pills or do you have to crush them, or take a liquid equivalent, or ...what?

I have cfids and am considering WLS. I take NADH and CoQ10 for energy, valerian root for restless leg syndrome and muscle spasms, Prozac for depressions, etc. etc. etc. I already take a multivitamin and sublingual B12 as recommended on the WLS sites, for after surgery.

Any updates on your surgery and how you feel about it now?

Thanks
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, just stopped to welcome you to the board. Jody will be along to share her expericence with you soon.

Again, a big welcome to you........

Shalom, Shirl
  3. L1lly

L1lly New Member

Somebody?
  4. Lovinkeno

Lovinkeno New Member

I had a Roux-n-y gastric bypass 4 years ago and I only had trouble with pills the first few months. I take Lithium every day and they were giving me my pills after day 2 or 3 in the hospital. Larger pills weren't possible for a few months after that. Now I can take larger pills but they have to be one or two at a time instead of the handful I used to be able to take. I wasn't diagnosed with FMS until 8 months ago and my rhuemy has me taking a load of supplements each day. I just have the doses split into morning & night and I have to pace myself a bit to get them all down, but it's worth it.

Good luck :)

Tracy
  5. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I am about 10 weeks out and don't take anything whole that is bigger than an M&M. If I have a pill that is bigger I cut it with a pill cutter. So far I am lucky in that most of my pills are small.

Your surgeon will tell you in consult which of the pills you take will not be acceptable. I do know that after surgery you can never again take any asprin or ibuprofen products and also no nsaids.

I hope this helps. If I can answer any more questions, please let me know.
    Lanie