Pinched Nerves

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Do any of y'all know anything about pinched nerves?

I received a report from my clinic's lab which said "C-spine x-ray shows marked osteoarthritis in the neck (most marked at C5-C6-C7) & narrowing in the nerve holes causing nerve pinching."

Has anyone had problems w/pinched nerves . . . and what did you do for the pain. I have a headache in the back of my head (like I was kicked by a mule; my eyes hurt; the problem seems to be affecting not only my neck (stiff neck and lots of pain) but also my arms & hands.

Any knowledge in this area will be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

When I first got ill with cfs, I suffered for the longest time with no help. The doctors were all useless, they all said "see a psychiatrist". While searching the net for things to do, I came across the recommendation of going to a chiropractor. I thought it was ridiculous, I didn't have any pain and I only thought people with "bad backs" went to them. Well, I was desperate and I knew it didn't cost alot so I figured "what the hey" and went.

I walked out just as uncomfortable as when I went in. But about 1/2 hour later, I started to feel really good, and I was able to sit up and watch tv! I hadn't been able to rise out of a "flat on my back" position for months! I was totally amazed.

I have since found out that my vagus nerve in my neck was being pinched and that nerve is a main nerve and is responsible for a wide variety of body processes like heart rate and digestion. That first time, it took about 1/2 hour to really feel it. But when I go now, I feel the results immediately. But chiros are like any other doctor, you have to get a good one. Some are just brutal and some are not brutal enough.

definitely worth a try!

at first, I went every 3 days to feel better, now I go about every 2 weeks

karen
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

You should see a Neurosurgeon. Compressed nerves can lead to permenant damage, depending on the severity.
  4. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi Nikki,

In 2003 I had the same thing as you. I had surgery to remove the bad disks and the doctor somehow made more room for the nerves. I even have the MRI images on my computer as before and after. I had alot of pain but my main problem was numbness in my left hand and arm. I was in the hospital 2 days and then went home. Had no pain that tylenol would not get rid of. I don't see a chiro being able to help as the nerves are being pinched. I am no doctor but if you can look at the pics your clinic made you will see what I mean.
    I will be praying for you to feel better very soon!
    God Bless,
    Bob
  5. Nikki

Nikki Member

I just love how quickly I get help when I need it. Just the fact that you're there for me is the best help in the world.

Hugs, Hugs, Hugs,
    Nikki

PS: Did anyone have fat pads on the sides of their neck?
  6. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

My neurosurgeon told me not to allow a chiro. to touch my neck in anyway. He told me it could cause paralaysis.

My arm pain was horrid like the bone was being crushed.

7. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I have alot of pain and problems with my neck and shoulder. I get a radio frequency procedure every 6 months.

They burn the nerves and it helps me alot. It takes about 3 weeks to get the full effect and then after 4 months I start feeling the pain again, and you can only get the precedure 6 months apart.

I am having a bad day and if you need more infor I will respond back later.
    Brenda
  8. TKE

TKE New Member

I'm currently dealing with compressed nerves in my lower back & neck due to herniations. Neck had 3 buldged & 1 herniated, lower back has 1 herniated. I've been turned down for surgery twice so far in the last 2 years. Have been dealing with back problems for at least 22 years now. I have bone rubbing bone now. I'm in a "holding pattern" so to speak. If the Neurosurgeon feels they can't fix 50% of your symptoms they won't do surgery. Downside is I am very limited in physical abilities....but hey Soc Sec says I can work...yeah right....NOT!!

I have nerves & muscles firing 24 x 7 in my legs. They drive me nuts. When I lay down it gets worse. I also have nerve/muscle deteriation in both legs. I never know when my legs will give out. Walking makes it worse, sitting too long makes it worse, stairs are real fun, can't bend, etc.

My hands now shake & jerk due to the compressed nerves in my neck. Nerves fire in my arms off & on. I also have major muscle knots/CMP in my upper back & left arm. The compressed nerves also cause deep "burning" pain in my left elbow. Severe neck pain, headaches, etc. I also get the electric shock when I look down or to the left. Now that HURTS!

I have an apt to get a second opinion on my EMG nerve study. Neurosurgeon wanted me to have a second EMG done. I don't think so! The first one was bad enough & if he isn't considering surgery I'm not going thru the torture the second time. If the Neurologist/EMG doc feels surgery is required then I'm off to find a different Neurosurgeon. I'm not gonna wait until permenant nerve damage is done!

I was also told to avoid the Chiro, due to the herniation/compressed nerves.

This site has good info on back/neck/compressed nerves:

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/d_sciatica/sc01.html

Toy
  9. Nikki

Nikki Member

So many people in so much pain..........I'm so sorry.

I'm trying to get an appt to see my PT. Dr thinks it will help. I can only hope it does. I don't want any kind of surgery.

My cousin just had a complete hip replacement.
    Osteoarthritis runs in our family. It seems to effect each generation earlier & earlier.

Prayers to all of you.

Sharon