Pings in the brain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Doober, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Doober

Doober New Member

Anyone else get like "pings" in their heads? As I am falling asleep or sometimes when I feel tired, I get these "Pings" on the side of my head. Sometimes when I feel wide awake, too. They sort of feel like when you get a sharp zap type head shock, instead these have like the "Ping" that sort of resonate through the brain that go through my head. As if there was a submarine inside my head sending out a soundwave. Quite a few time strong enough that they snap me awake. Just curious.
  2. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I'm not sure what I have is what you would call pings, but every now and then it feels like something pops inside my skull. Kinda just like a little "blip" sensation.

It really creeps me out though coz things aren't supposed to go "blip".

I've also had sensations where it felt like my skeleton was jumping out of my skin.

That's another story though.
  3. Grammcrkrs

Grammcrkrs New Member

YES, I used to have those "pings" all the time just like you, when I was falling asleep...back in the middle 90's. I used to wonder too, what in the heck it was..and would worry what in the world is going on NOW with my head!! Then about 7 years ago they just stopped.

Sure am glad I haven't been alone in this! (But as one reads more and more on message boards you find out they aren't alone about ANY symptoms.)

{{Gramms}}
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2007]
  4. 139864

139864 New Member

Hi doober
    I never knew quite how to explain them , but I think you have done it admirably !!
    The answer is . YES !.. I have been experiencing these " pings " (lol ) for yrs.
    I told my Dr's I had fireworks going off in my head .. they just looked at me as if I was NUTS
    so it's good to know that others are " pinging "too
    hugs
    Brenda uk

5. erbach

erbach New Member

funny i was thinking about these things last night as i was falling asleep. you start to phase out, get a little dreamy and then you get "zapped" back to being wide awake. mine are caused by unexpected noises and are accompanied by shallow breath and a moment of low panic, like a low shot of adrenaline...
  6. Hissie

Hissie New Member

YES!!! I cannot believe the number of things people write on this site...which I have had recurrent for YEARS including this brain ping thing. I think it feels like an electrical shock. Mine starts at the base of my skull, off-right, and up to the top. I have thought for years, "Oh my neck must be out" or something...but w/the diagnosis and the many more experiences I read, I am convinced.

You are not alone.

Ping Ping
    Lizzie
  7. Doober

Doober New Member

129864 - You mention fireworks, I am wondering if these are nerve endings in the brain mis-firing? I have had a few MRI's and I am usually relaxed when I have them done and I always hope that it happened while in the machine and that they would see it in action? Well, as you know things don't happen when we want them to. As I write this I realize that the mis-firing may not be too far off. As I am falling asleep sometimes I have areas in by body that just jump sort of like restless leg syndrome, for me mostly my arm and shoulder. The "Pings" come when I do not feel anything jump on my body, so could the brain be mis-firing the signal to the muscles and I am feeling the affects of the mis-firing?
  8. flossyfudleFran

flossyfudleFran New Member

hi all,
    yes i also get what you call pings in your brain.

and i had this happen yesterday,so im going to try and tell you what i felt,as best i can.while the memory of it is still with me.

the best i can describe it,is,im sat watching evening tv,just relaxing having gotten home from my part time job.

i felt this ripple on my scalp,like someone has just stroked my head,then i get this intense sort of proding pain(simular to the dot,dot dot,of morse code, intense too) on the right side of my head,at the top of the head.

it sort of pulled my face muscles up,kind of like when you have a toothache thats intense and you sort of scrunch your face muscles up,only i didnt make this happen,it happened itself.

i then got this sort of weird pinging feeling,it was painful too.it went away after a few seconds.

ive had this happen to me on and off for many years,but it always takes me by supprise when it happens.

kind regards

fran
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I had thought about making this same post! I , too, have this happen.

At times, when I am falling asleep I get a sensation..sort of a buzz of electricity in my head. It jolts me awake! There is no pain..just a sensation that is similar to a sound.

How odd that so many of us have this...What a crazy illness FM can be!
  10. 139864

139864 New Member

doober I have recently been dx'ed with PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY .. so you are probably on the right track .P.N is damage to all the nerve endings in your body ...brain hands feet/ legs . They took lots of blood for testing ... I am still waiting on the results ( it's been four weeks ) of the tests .
    If you look up PN it will explain it far better than I do .

It is mostly people with diabetes who get this, which I don't have !!! I did work with organic solvents for yrs.
    So I know what was the cause of mine .I am posting you this abstract ... But it doesn't mean that it is the cause of every ones
    hugs
    Brenda uk

Intentional and accidental inhalation of 1,1,1-trichloroethane has resulted in human fatalities as reported in several case studies (Hall and Hine 1966, MacDougall et al. 1987, Stahl et al. 1969). Estimations for fatal exposure concentrations range from 6000 to 20,000 ppm (ATSDR 1995). Death has been attributed to either depression of the central nervous system, resulting in respiratory arrest (Hall and Hine 1966, Jones and Winter 1983, Stahl et al., 1969), or sensitization of the heart to epinephrine, resulting in cardiac arrhythmia (Guberan et al. 1976, MacDougall et al. 1987, Travers 1974). A 15-year-old boy who sniffed typing eradicator containing 1,1,1-trichloroethane had complained of double vision and hallucinations before he collapsed and died (D'Costa and Gunasekera 1990). Autopsy revealed a grossly edematous brain; edema of the lungs, liver and gut; and tonsillar herniation. Levels of 1,1,1-trichloroethane in the blood were 1.7 ng/mL (1.7 ppb). Levels of 1,1,1-trichloroethane in the blood of three other victims of fatal intoxication (ingested or inhaled) were estimated at 60, 62, and 120 ppm (Stahl et al. 1969). In addition to central nervous system and cardiovascular effects, volatile substance abusers may suffer permanent damage to the kidneys, liver, and lungs (Marjot and McLeod 1989). In human fatalities, failure to prevent inhalation of high concentrations, lack of adequate ventilation of confined spaces, or deliberate sniffing have been implicated (Torkelson 1994).

Based on laboratory studies to evaluate equilibrium
  11. Doober

Doober New Member

139864 - I just took a look at a few web sites to get info on peripheral neuropathy. WOW, the things I have read in this have caught my attention. This and MS are almost identical. Also identical to what most of us experience. I looked this up on mayoclinic.com and also on the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke which is ninds.nih.gov. This is very interesting reading and I think we all will see a little of ourselves on these sites regarding the PN. 139864 - maybe you should post some on "peripheral neuropathy" and the sites I mentioned above since you were the one who brought it to my attention.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2007]
  12. 139864

139864 New Member

Already have done !!! if you do a search in the box at the top of "messages "& type in P.N. they should come up .

The thing is ... there are many with the symptoms , who believe that they could have it ... but when they visit their various dr's offices ... for whatever the reason !
    the Dr's say their symptoms .. DONT PROVE POSITIVE for P.N.
    hugs
    Brenda