Pins and needles in hands when coughing???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Jul 17, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

When I cough I get a pins and needles sensation when coughing. It is a remarkable sensation. Does anyone have a clue what this can be?

I was thinking blood vessels, or nerves? This is not a one-time thing, it happens every time. Could it be my assumed neuropathy?
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I get so few replies nowadays,,?
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I suggest to you that what you're sensing is a rush of oxygen to your extremities, in this case your hands, when you activate your lungs with a cough. Try breathing in very deeply and quickly several times as you would with a cough. You should get the same reaction. Now breathe very deeply, holding it in, then letting it out slowly. It should be OK and eventually you'll feel more calm.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.... ;>)

Marta

4. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

I have it when I sit down. When I stand up and walk it goes away. I cant get an answer from the doctors so I dont know what to do and what is causing it,
    I hope you get to feeling better...

Melinda
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

When one coughs, it puts high pressure on the discs in your neck and back.

It can actually bulge them.

You could be experiencing radicular pain from this infringement on the nerves during the coughing.

I would have my neck checked out.

I have that, and I have very bad cervical radiculopathy.
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

thanks bunches for replies.

I am very calm and it doesn't seem to be an oxygen thing. I suspect it's blood vessels, or nerve damage. When I said: "I was thinking blood vessels, or nerves?" I meant physical nerves, not psychological,,,LOL! Sorry about the misunderstanding.

mlarr, I get it when I stand, walk or lie down. It's weird, isn't it?! Maybe someone with a diagnosed condition recognise the symptom and reply so we both get an answer.

I snooped online (browsed) and saw that there can be a myalgic deal with nerves that get compressed in the hands/ fingers when coughing. It is farsought, but possible.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2006]
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

txfmmom,

it sound quite possible, I have bad problems in my neck that have caused weird sensations, like if I bend my head upwards in bed, I feel it blocks the bloodflow.

I had an appt with a Rheumy yesterday but had to cancel since my daughter became too ill. I will bring this symptom up (among many others,,,LOL!) when I see him in September. My MD doesn't do a yota for me, runs some x-rays that of course doens't show nerve damage, compressions and the like. Degenerated disks showed, but as he put it "everybody has those". Right. Anyways, thanks for the tip, I will read up about it.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2006]
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

when you cough and that's what sends the sensations into your hands. I guess that's what everyone else says. I think the same thing would happen if you slept on your neck wrong. If it doesn't go away quickly, you might have reason to worry.
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Well, I had this for a year or so, but got curious about the reason for it. I hope this rheumy will be throughout! My hands and feet have just gotten worse as time have passed.

many thanks and blessings to you all!