Pins and needles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bear49, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bear49

bear49 New Member

Does anyone get pins and needles in their hands? I wake up EVERY morning with them and it's driving me nuts. I have not been diagnosed with FM, but I'm thinking I may have it. The pins and needles started out in just my finger periodically when I wake up, but now all my hands and EVERY morning. I've been tested for Carpal Tunnel and no problems with the nerves in my hands or wrists. Get the pins and needles sometimes throughout the day, but always when I lay down or in the morning.

Also, what kind of Dr. is good to diagnose this?

[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2009]
  2. loto

loto Member

Hi ashtin. the doctor i went to for pins and needles and other "nerve" pains is a neurologist. He's also the one that diagnosed my FM. Start there first!
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I get that feeling quite often and not just in my hands, either...sometimes it's in my entire upper body...haven't really found anything to do for it, but wanted to let you know that you are not alone in getting that.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Lots of pins and needle feelings. Mostly in my fingertips. I actually have certainly parts of my body (just areas on my skin) that have that feelings i.e middle of my back. Weird.
    I think besides the Fibro systems, I also have bad circulation. Does it feel like they're asleep, or just pins and needles?

Certainly not uncommon for FMS.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet, is the first symptoms listed for SEVERE Vit B-12 Deficiency.

More severe cases can give vitamin b12 deficiency symptoms, which include:

Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
    Loss of memory
    Lack of balance
    Digestive problems
    Liver enlargement
    Eye problems
    Inflamed tongue
    Breathing difficulties
    Loss of memory
    Neurological damage
    Tinitus or ringing in the ears
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains, skin hypersensitivity are all on the lyme disease symptom list.

I have had FM for 21 years and I just found out I have lyme. I believe lyme has been causing these symptoms known as FM for all this time.
  7. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

There is also a condition called cubital tunnel syndrome. I think it's mainly caused by sleeping with your arms bent. Just google for more info. Neck injuries can also cause pins and needles. I have a neck injury that effects my arms, and the carpel tunnel test came up clear.
    Also consider any tight muscles, and trigger points.

Pins and needles is usually nerve problems(although it is also listed as an FM problem, and as someone also said lyme is another possibility) . A neurologist is usually the doctor to see, if your regular doctor can't figure it out.

Hope you figure it out.
  8. gerig

gerig New Member

Yes I havebeen getting numb feeling in my little finger, was test for nerve damage, but doctor said I was low on B 12 am now getting shots, hopefully this will get better Geri