Piriformis Syndrome???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DLsGroovyMoM, Nov 29, 2005.

1. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

I went to a physical therapy session last week and the lady said she thought I had piriformis syndrome...she said she had never seen anyone with such a tender and painful Piriformis muscle (aka pain in the butt muscle) as she said she was barley toughing me yet I cried out in pain and almost jumped off the table. I had never heard of this (my nursing instructor would not be happy about that as I am pretty sure she did cover it in class) I have been reading on the internet about it and I think she may have been right...wouldn't you know it is yet another "controversial" diagnosis mostly made by exclusion yada yada yada...it corrisponds with my L5S1 disk problems/nerve damage. Have any of you heard of this or been told you have this? What treatments worked for you?
    Thanks for any input
    Amy
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

google it and you can read about surgery for treatment...it is just having a tug of war down there with our bodys....

sorry to have you in the club of periformis...ihave found wering elastic band waistlines will make my entire buutt and hip area numb...yo could hit me with a hammer and i wouldn't feel it...

aggrevates my period time and back as well,,,,

jodie
  3. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

any others with input?
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'll have to look up what is piriformis syndrome, but I do know that my LMT got to digging into the piriformis, and I was in agony. She did manage to work out to areas, and now I'm having little to no pain in that area when I go in for a monthly massage.
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Many times I'd wake up thinking my husband had been booting me in the butt. I have problems with that muscle from time to time.

I think it has also been responsible for irritating the nerves running down the back of my leg and the sole of my foot. I kept getting a raw feeling at the back of my thigh. Very uncomfortable...like a burn.

Like everything else I have, it seems to come and go at will.

I'm going to mention it to my rheumatologist when I see him again in February. One more question to add to the list!!

Regards

Eileen

6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I think your nursing instructor must have covered this. Several years ago, I was at a spa and got a massage from a former nurse who had retrained as a massage therapist. She said that a lot of my lower back pain was coming from problems(myofascial trigger points?) in my piriformis muscles. Boy were they painful!

I would not rush into surgery. Spend some quality time with a quality massage/physical therapist first. Once s/he get you loosened up, s/he will explain how you can do maintenance/preventative work at home.
  7. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

I have known for a long time that I had a "pain in my butt" now I know I literally have a pain in my butt...hehe...

The pt that told me about this had said for me to get hubby to press the spot or to roll a tennis ball in the spot to losen the muscle...that lady is freakin crazy...hubby tried and I almost passed out it hurt so bad!!!

I don't see the doc until the 14th and I have so much I need to talk to him about...no I am not even considering the surgery just yet...btw has anyone here had that surgery? did it work? Just for my info and later use.

I really want to have a message threrapist work on me but the money is just not there right now. The doc did send me to pt (a special program he set up just for fm pts) which included message and water therapy...wouldn't you know it my insuracne would not cover it...they would only cover the standard pt at $35 a session which would have been over $100/week...if I could have gottent the 3 messages a week I might have found the money but without it no...atleast not now...and let me tell you this sucks...i pay $110 A WEEK for my insuracne...just me and so far they are not coveing much of anything, no pt, no tens unit...crap!!!!

oh well thanks again!
    Amy
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had googled on it and it doesn't sound like fun at all they have to go dddp into the muscle tissuee...and relieve something so anyways it can cause a lot of tension on the sciatica from what i recall in my readings...

jodie
  9. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Your poor husband! It really wasn't fair to expect him to be able to do it, when he has had no training. You might be able to do it yourself, since you can feel when you are pressing too hard. If the tennis ball is too hard, you can get small inflated rubber balls. My PT gave me one, so I don't know where to buy one.

I hate to try to convey to you want my PT told me about self-treatment. I not sure I would remember it correctly or state it clearly. If you are not successful with self-treatment, could you afford one more session with the PT on that subject?
  10. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

Chocolat: Yes I too find it to be one of my most painful problems. I have always thought it was my hips that hurt…and while they do throb all the time this pain is different but I never knew what it was until now. My doc has been doing the injections in my back too (none yet…or ever I think in my piriformis muscle) but they only make me sore for days and then nothing so I will not be getting anymore of them. Right now my job is approx 6hrs of sitting/2 up working and I am at a loss. Sitting kills me and standing/walking kills me…I haven’t read any of the traumeel posts yet so maybe I will look into it.

Littlebluestem: yes I agree that hubby shouldn’t have tried it, but the pt made it seem like no big deal and easy to do…it was only after I had him try it that I did some searching and found out it is very painful and difficult to treat. He still feels awful, I keep telling him not to worry, I know he didn’t mean to hurt me…I have such a good husband…Lord knows I am blessed. As for self treatment…not sure if you were trying to say that your pt said its not a good thing or that it was but…Normally I would not encourage self treatment however since I have been diagnosised I have started some supplements and things that my doc has never mentioned, and I play around with the few meds he has givne me to try and find the right combo…seems like a lot of us end up doing some self treatment out of sheer necessity. Maybe after Christmas I will try a few more pt sessions but right now I just can’t…the mommy in me is over riding the fibromite and I must make sure my baby and hubby has a good christmas

Thanks for all the input…will keep you updated!
    Amy