Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Jul 4, 2007.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

Recently in my city, we've had our fourteenth pitbull mauling. The last victim has wounds over 90% of her body. I'm all too aware of the fact that the breed is used to fight. As a matter of fact the young man who owned the dog was quoted as saying, "He's my best money dog." This makes me sick. I still don't trust the breed, in general. My cousin has a BBQ coming up and he owns two Pitbulls. I've asked if there's anyway he could keep the dogs away from the children. He went on and on about how sweet the dog is. This might be true, but I don't trust a breed with that track record. I understand it's my cousin's house and he may do whatever he wants with the dogs, but my sister and I will keep the kids at home. Any breed and any animal can quickly turn, including humans, but kids gravitate to furry animals no matter how much you stress to stay away. Do you think my sister and I are too overprotective? FYI I own two cats, a dog, and am active in the PETA organization.

2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Nice Family dog
    I used to live in a place in Southern Nevada where there were poisonous snakes, scorpions, spiders. Everyone who moved there was worried and asked about them. In six years we had one spider and one scorpion bite, both non dangerous, in the emergency room. About every other week we had someone come in with a nasty dog bite, usually by the family dog. The face injuries were the worst.

Anyway, dogs are prone to mental old age and grouchyness just like humans. A dog may be alright for ten years then change.

Anyway, I don't trust animals whose teeth weigh more than their brains. My guess is that teeth of pit bulls weigh about ten times that of their brains. Perhaps dogs could be regulated based on brain/tooth ratio.

I used to have a big dog. Lovable, wonderful, etc, but sometimes didn't quite get things, and could be insanely jealous. My own dogs I like.....but not strange dogs.

Anyhow, I'm probably being grouchy and venting, but aggresive ( excuse me, I mean "friendly") dogs not cute to me.

Grumble, grumble, your mr Bill.

[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2007]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am a Pit Bull lover but I also understand that if you get a Pit from a breeder who uses aggressive dogs to breed, the pups can have aggressive tendencies. It can be bred into them. They can be very sweet and some of them are even timid and afraid. Still, if something sets them off, they can attack. It is often the inbred desire to hunt down prey which causes them to attack children and smaller animals. When a child runs, it can stir up this hunting thing and once they go after something, they will not let go. Responsible owners recognize this and would not want children around their Pits, even when they are under control. Being on a leash is not under control. Pits are stronger than most people realize.

There are other breeds which may have the same tendencies. In fact, I would keep my kids away from all dogs, even small ones which they don't know well.

My daughter had two Pit Bull/Chow dogs and they were beautiful. I would kiss one of them on the snout as she knew me and was so sweet. The other one was not predictible and I kept my distance.

Better safe than sorry.

Love, Mikie
  4. therealmadscientist

Just remembered an incident in big city. Over on the next block a teenager had a pit bull he used to intimidate.
    He brought it over to our block and someone had a slim tall dog, I think maybe a water terrier or retreiver, that was docile to humans but very dominant with other dogs.

Anyway, when they confronted each other the retriever leaped straight up and came down with its teeth in back of neck of the pit bull. And pit bull and owner never came back to our street.

5. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was young when my grandfather brought home a dog for my brother and I. My parents were divorced and we lived with the grandparents at that time. I screamed when I saw the dog and jumped up standing on the porch swing. To me he was ugly.

But slowly we bonded, my brother and I with this dog. He was so smart and we could do anything we wanted with him. I would even dress him in clothes and such. One day my brother and a neighbor boy and I was playing in the yard. We had cap guns and shooting each other. This boy approached my brother with pretend meanness and yelling. I then saw our dog rise up from where he was laying on the porch and leaped towards the boy. He ran and grabbed a branch of a tree and was pulling himself up. But our dog had clamped down on the seat of his pants and was hanging on. Only the pants was damaged and we got the dog to let go and calm down. The dod was always playful with this boy before.

Later my brother and I were sitting on the floor playing a board game and mother came into the room to check on us. We said, "Mom, act like you are going to hit us". She said, "I never hit neither of you"....we said "We know, just act like it and yell at us". She did and our dog let out a growl and went for her. We grabbed him as mother went through the house yelling, "I will hit you guys now". We roared and of course she did not. But our question in our mind was answered. We were to young to realize we had put Mom in real danger.

Years later I saw a TV news story about Pit Bulls.....I gasped when I saw our favorite dog! I never knew what our dog was. I called my brother and said, "Do you know what our loving grndfather got us? A pit bull" He laughed and said, "I knew that" I did not.But also never heard about them way back then.

Everyone loved our dog and it was so loving and smart. But even the best can turn in a matter of no time. Kids running and playing makes a dangerous situation. We used to lock our dog away if we were going to play with other kids, or we might of had a bad incident. I miss this dog, but would not get another one.

I would not go to the event at all. Maybe the owner wil get the message. I am sure his are loving also, but dangerous.

Blessings...........Susan.... OH more: Just kidding around with your cousin or maybe someone else could cause one of his dog to attack you. Stay home.
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

PainterZ, no I never could think you're being overprotective when you're following your instincts. However. While pit bulls are easily trained to aggression because they're so smart, they aren't normally born that way. Perhaps your cousin's dogs have been cared for in a loving environment and are very gentle. What about your cousin? Do you trust him?

A little good pit bull story: My chiropractor found a young pit wandering the streets, obviously lost. He took her home, gave her a lot of love and now she frequently greets patients at the office. If she senses they're sad or anxious she gets up in the chair next to them and verrrrrry gently leans against their arm all the while looking at them with great love. She's wonderful. And you know he'd never take a chance with his patients, not to mention liabilty.

Whatever you decide, you're right. Enjoy the party.

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2007]
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Any responsible owner would confine their dogs, regardless of breed, when strangers are coming to their home.

My dogs, who couldn't be gentler or friendlier, are confined to the bedroom when we have company. This is simply showing curtesy to our guests and providing security for the dogs.

Although I have met pitbulls who are very well mannered and awesome pets, agility and obedience dogs, I would not have one. I would also not have a chow or mix breed of either dog.

My golden is exuberant and LARGE. He is scary to little kids even though all he wants to do is play. He doesn't know his own strength, and his size is intimidating. He could cause a child to become afraid of dogs for life simply from trying to play. The lab will lay on the floor and let the kids climb all over her, but that isn't really fair to her because she is 11 and really prefers to sleep.

Children should be taught to never approach a dog unless that dog is under control by an adult. Not chained or loose, under control by an ADULT! They should also learn to ask before petting a dog. Not "is your dog friendly" but the actual words "may I pet your dog".

And, although your dog and the child may enjoy letting him feed the dog treats, it isn't a good idea for either of them. The dog will learn that little people have food and the child will learn that it is ok to reach out to a dog, any dog, and hand it food. You are risking an inadvertant bite to the child and the possible loss of the dog.

My grandaughter and nephew both know me as the grandma or aunt with the dogs. Because we live in an old mobile home the doors all have about a one inch gap under them. The kids love to lay on the floor and place a treat in front of the bedroom door and watch the dogs tongues reach out to lap them up. They are supervised and there is no chance of a bite this way. They also have learned that laying the food down is the safest way to feed it to the dog.

They sometimes ask me to bring "the good dog" out. This means the lab. I will bring her out, on lead, put her in a down and allow the kids to pet her back, not her head. She would not bite, but this is a way of enforcing the training I am giving the kids. I also hold the lead close to the collar so they see that I am in control of the dog at all times.

Lawsuits over dog bites are happening daily and even a small nip can cause a septic infection and possibly kill the person who was nipped. I wrote about this several years ago because of a nip that cost my trainer's sister most of her toes and a couple of fingers due to a septic infection. This was a small, trained, healthy dog. She was in intensive care for 47 days and in hospital for another 3 months and had several surgeries after her release to remove more dead tissue and do skin grafts. Any dog bite is potentially serious and should be treated, preferably by a physician.

Bottom line, read my first paragraph again! It is the owner's responsiblity to provide security for the dogs and the guests.

Stop and smell (your own!) puppies!
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

before I'd pass anyone with a pitbull.

They are a dangerous breed, they should not be kept as pets.

You're wise not to take your kids to your cousins.

9. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

Any dog can be aggressive no matter what breed it is. Pits are given a bad name because they are used more for fighting by people who do not truly love animals. You never hear golden retrievers in the news for biting anyone do you? But if a pit malls someone it's in the headlines.

I put my dog up (boxer) whenever ANYONE comes over just out of respect that not everyone likes dogs. I think your cousin should do the same for that reason. But you should also teach your children to be cautious of ALL dogs, just not specific breeds. It's humans that make them mean, they aren't just born that way.
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

with Mystic.

I adore dogs. I can't imagine what a home is like without a dog in it.

However, Pits were selectively bred for dominance and aggression. I think it's tragic that we humans have "created" such an unstable dog because there is something in human nature that enjoys watching dogs fight, or humans torment then kill a bull, or electrocute an elephant. We are very strange creatures.

It's not the fault of the Pits but I would never adopt one. It pains me to write that because I know that there are good Pits but we have bred them to be untrustworthy.

There is a bylaw in my city that is meant to prevent breeding of Pits and it's illegal to sell or purchase them. All existing Pits must be muzzled and, of course, on leash when in public. The bylaw is not enforced as well as it should be and unmuzzled Pits, though not as many, can still be seen on our streets.

Pits are not required to be muzzled in their own home. Just a few days ago a toddler was mauled to death my her grandparents Pit who had never been aggressive before.

It's tragic for everyone involved. I cannot imagine how those grandparents feel because they were sure that their dog was gentle, loving and trustworthy. The dog has been "put down". All of this could have been prevented.

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2007]
  11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I raise Pit Bulls.. I have two right now. They are both elderly and I know I'm going to have to put down one of them soon. They are wonderful loyal pets if they are raised right. But like any animal, they have limits. I love my dogs and they have never so much as nipped at anyone. But they are aggresive to other animals and so I keep them penned up when my Grandchildren are over. Why take a chance?
    I have a 8 ft. fence in my back yard to keep outsiders out and my dogs safely in. Any dog, big or little has the potential to turn on a child. As much as I love my dogs I wouldn't chance the life of my grandbabies with them.
  12. therealmadscientist

For now, think I'll just stick to loving my plants.

Good grief, even deadly nightshade plants , Jimson weed, potato leaves, poison ivy, are deadly. Difficult to argue with someone who is paranoid nowadays. sigh. mr Bill:)
  13. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I asked my vet if I should let my son go play at his friends house...they have a pit bull....the parents swear they asked several vets if the pit bull would be an ok pet for a family and they said yes...well, i don't buy it...my vet said don't let your son go to that kids house...if they are playing and roughhousing like boys do, the dog could snap and go after my son to protect the boy that lives there.

also, i did research online and pitbulls are at the top of the list for dog attacks....and deadly....and the owners always say that the dog never showed any signs of aggression before....

i agree with the person who said we need to end that breed...too dangerous
  14. painterZ

painterZ New Member

and very appreciated. It is very sad how this breed of dog has been treated. I'm taking everyone's advice, and staying home with my daughter, my sister, and my nephews. I think we'll all hang out, grab some take-out, and take a walk to the snow-ball stand in the evening. :)

15. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i own a pitbull, her name is nikki. her picture is on my profile if any of you would like to see her. she it the best dog i have ever had. I got her from a responsible breeder when she was 7 weeks old and she has been raised and trained in a loving way. the idea that these dogs suddenly turn is a myth! so many are in the hands of irresponsible owners who use force as a form of training, or don't train their dogs at all! also i grew up with family members who had pits and other muscle dogs, they make pets in the hands of responsible owners.

all that having been said. if someone comes to my house who is uncomfortable with my dog i lock her up. it isn't worth the stress on the person or my dog, it hurts her feelings when people don't like her. Also i don't let her play with small children, they move quick and have a tendency to frighten dogs. alos my dog is very strong and kind of clumsy and i'm afraid she will knock a young child over while just trying to play. i learned that when my pomerainian, who is 12lbs and agresive, snapped at a child for chasing him into a corner and trying to grab him.

people who own dogs of any breed need to be responsible dog parents. you need to socialize your dog from the time that they are young, train them well, and never play agression games like tug of war with them. dogs need to learn to become good members of the community from a young age and it's up to owners to do that.

if you are uncomfotable with your brothers dogs then it isn't unreasonable to ask him to lock them up when your children are there. But i would ask you to please interact with these great animals when your children aren't in the room so you can experience for yourself that pits are not the devil dogs that the media has made them out to be thanks to some terrible pet owners. they really are very sweet and affectionate, most love a good belly rub even.

i will always love my baby nikki and keep her safe from people and people who are afraid of her safe from her.

i'll get off my soapbox now. thanks for reading this.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2007]
  16. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thanks for defending. I agree they get a bad rap when actually the problems are caused by people.

My trainer owns a Stafford. She is very well mannered and not a bit agressive. She was well trained and socialized from birth. Same trainer raised a rottie who was a local celebrity for his nursing home and hospital visits.

There are a lot of breeds that can be trained to be vicious. Most dog bites are actually from cocker spaniels! Hard to believe, huh! Of course those bites are usually small and cockers are not likely to hold on.

My friend's Saint Bernard, after being raised with the family and actually nearly baby sitting the 4 year old girl she had been raised with, bit the child on the face narrowly missing her eye. The little girls entire head would fit in the dogs mouth and he left punctures and tears on both sides of her face. Yet we think of St. Bernards as big old loveable teddy bears.

My point is that ANY dog can be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands or under the wrong circumstances. Keep your guests and your dogs safe and secure. Keep them apart if either the guests or the dog is concerned.

When I see our local gang members walking the streets with pits on logging chains and no control as the dog is pulling them down the street, I just cring. The owner is at fault and if the dog is ever loose or they have a complaint lodged against them it is the dog who pays the price.

17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I love animals but don't have any at this point in my life and do not know alot about Pits (per se), other than what I have heard from the papers and all. I just think that ANY dog should be put away from children, especially small ones, unless they live with and are used to them and their quick actions. Even then there can be a terrible incident.

Yes, there are some big dogs that a real sweet and also some little dogs that are visicous. Growing up we had a small dog who was very much a one person animal and was a "psycho" dog, as I called her. She was a mutt, terrier breed, so cute and she and could behave when she wanted to. However, she almost went through the glass door, teeth barred after the mailman trying to bring the mail to us. You also knew when to leave her alone. I didn't trust her much, although she could be sweet on occasion.

Anyone who owns ANY kind of dog (or animal) needs to use their brain about putting them in different situations and with other people, especially small children that tend to run around and just be loud or move quickly. Any dog can see this behavior and go hyper and then try to protect themselves or their masters.

Anyone that has an animal, esp a large one like a Pit and doesn't take the proper precautions is being very careless, to say the least. I do not blame anyone for not bringing their child to a place where there is a dog or animals that are not going to be contained esp if they are not used to each other (the dogs and the children).

They (the owners) are looking for alot of trouble ,to say the least. I wouldn't want to be blamed for any little child getting mauled by any kind of animal. If Pits are esp.so big and strong, they need to be put in another room where the children or others will not be, even if they seem good most of the time.

I just think that people need to use commom sense and keep the dogs, esp. the BIG ones, away from children especially if they are not used to each other. Still there could be a problem from the animals point of view. Small dogs can also cause problems too, depending on the breed and personality of the dog. We certainly didn't train our dog to fight but some just have it in them to do so or are VERY protective.

I just think that people that have any animal needs to be a responsible pet owner and that means taking the precautions needed for an accident or terrible incident NOT to happen. When the dogs are as big and strong as a PIT than I think that is especially important.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2007]
  18. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I wouldn't let my child stay at a function with a pit bull.

My son was very young when he tottered over to a docile farm dog. He was probably around 14 months. As he got to the dog, my son lost his balance and fell towards the dogs mid section. In a flash, the dog attacked my son and this wasn't even a pit bull. I think it was a collie.

The dog ripped part of my son's ear loose.

There will be all kinds of excitement at a BBQ. The dogs will be on high alert anyway. You are not being unreasonable to keep your children home if the cousin has stated the dogs will not be confined.

I'd keep your excuse short, but to the point. "I'm concerned for my children's safety with 2 pit bulls freely running around. Thank you for the invitation, but we will not be attending."

Just keep repeating the same two sentences. Don't let him debate you on your decision. Finally, you can state something like, "I respect your rules, but I also need to keep my children safe. All the I'm sorrys in the world will not undo a dog attack."
  19. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I just lost my sweet pit bull "Bud" last year....he was an abused dog that adopted us....anyhow he NEVER once ever did anything even questionable to any of my three boys ......always a great dog........

My thought is that the dogs behave how they are raised....if they are raised to fight then "LOOK OUT"

A little girl in our neighborhood lost almost her entire face from the families "FIGHTER" dogs that were pitbulls........it was NOT a pretty sight.....and I blame the parents first of all for training them to fight....and secondly for allowing their daughter to be alone with dogs with that magnatude!

I personally think the parents should have been arrested and charged for negligence......

I agree with you to NOT take any chances!

Even though I will defend the pit bull breed given that they are NOT trained to fight.......I do believe that it is just not worth the chance with ANY breed of dog.

My son currently has a pit bull puppy they live with us....BUT when my Grandson comes over the pit bull gets locked up!

I myself will not take the chance!

20. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Now that is what I call common sense ! However, I guess some people just do not have any . No one should take the chance with ANY dog.

Granni (Marilyn)