Plain HOT in Central California

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaltair, Jul 6, 2007.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

At 3:45 PM on the way to a patient's home my thermometer was showing 113 degrees! This was in Central CA near the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. When I walk outside the car or my office for more than a few minutes, felt like I had stood in front of a heater as I felt my nursing uniform pants! That's HOT!

The weather reminds me of about 40 years ago when temps went as high as 116 degrees F in the Central CA area. Records were set then as well.

Hope everyone is faring okay out there and staying cool. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids these days and remember, coffee, tea, alcohol DON'T count for fluids.

2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I hate this weather!!! My home thermometor was off the chart yesterday. I heard 112 but it felt worse. The air quality is none to great either!
    Supposed to have an outdoor ceremony for a bride tomorrow. Her mom started showing signs of heat stroke at the rehearsal so the ceremony is going to be in the ballroom as well.
    I just hope we don't have a repeat of last year.. you remember.. 11 days over 100.. I think we lost over 200 head of cattle at the feed lot.

Dog days of summer Jeannette.. I'm not likin it a bit!!

Stay cool!!

love your "hot" friend,
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Great to hear from you, been wondering how you were doing these days. Can't imagine an outdoor wedding this time of year in Central CA - you'd have more than the bride's mom keel over! I sure do remember those days over 100! Looks like we might do it again this year, I hope not!

How's everything going with your family these days?

Wow..tried to do some work in our vineyard today, but, at 107 degrees, not much got done..however, we have to keep at it because the coyotes chew on the irrigation tubing cutting off the water supply to the vines.,it's a constant battle with these critters!

Our place is in Amador County and I remember last year how high the temperatures got, and it looks like this year isn't going to be any different.

Today, my hubby spotted a fire on the other side of Hwy 49, and we called it in immediately..thank goodness, the fire dept. was already on the scene. Fires scare me to death, and with everything being so dry, I just pray that people obey the rules about fire safety!

Take care ladies and try and stay cool..throw a bunch of grapes in the freezer for a couple of hours..then munch on's a cool and refreshing snack.

5. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I can't even imagine that type of heat, yet you all seem to sorta roll with the punches. I guess you really can't do much else. Ready for this? I've had a fear of California since I was a child. It just seemed like there was always some natural disaster happening. Isn't that strange? I'll send you some cool thoughts, and I'll try not to complain when it hits 97 here during the weekend.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I would just wilt in that kind of heat.

Over here in Scotland, its summer, its rained every day, its quite is crazy everywhere. WE've had the most rain in June for 100 years.

A little of your sunshine would be great.

7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

wildwoodwine - I love Amador and Hwy 49! For those not familiar with CA, this is one highway you want to travel. All kinds of wineries and old mining towns. This was the area of the gold strikes in California with lots of history. Those fires up that way are really scary wildwoodwine. My sister use to live up off 49 near where you are. She and her husband now live in OR and have 160 acres and grow a small vineyard. They make "home brew" wine with friends and go through a Scottish rite with bagpipes every year. Lots of fun for them during that time! Love grapes in the freezer! Thanks for reminding me how good they are. I'll get a bunch and take to work...

PainterZ - Where do you live? I've always been afraid of the mid-west and south with the tornadoes and the hurricanes in the east! That's funny. I guess where we grow up we become accustomed to the types of natural disasters that happen. The heat in California is more of a dry type of heat (although it has gotten more humid with increased numbers of people and irrigation) than back east. I've visited places in the south that totally make me unable to breathe due to humidity. I don't know, the heat here is like oven blast and the heat in humid places like stifling saunas ... not sure which is better, maybe neither!

rosiebud - sending some sun your way with positive thoughts! Scotland is on our itinerary when we travel and stay in England for about 3 months hopefully next year.

Everyone - stay cool wherever you are!

Hugs, Jeannette
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

ok.. ya gotta think latin beat...

Hot, hot, hot...

Ugh! 9 am and it's already pretty warm again today!

wild - frozen grapes.. great idea! My hubbys family worked the grapes for years when they first came to the states. Lot of work!! you live in an awesome area! We are worrying about fires too here. I'm near Coalinga.. everything is so dry!! I know we are going to have some big range fires again this year.

Jeanette.. we are good.. uh.. sort of! Usual health crisis' and aches and pains! Little Maddy (my grandbaby with CP )is walking unaided now.. The wild child is in love and I think she may have found a keeper this time.. all is well.

Love to ya neighbor and all the rest of ya as well..

stay cool!
  9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I live in Baltimore, MD, smack dab in the middle of the mid-Atlantic so we kinda get a little of everything. The summers are hazy, hot, and humid and we do get hurricanes, but probably more Nor'easters then hurricanes. Winters can be mild but that leads to a lot of ice. We get blizzards too from time to time. Unfortunately our springs and falls are getting shorter every year. Oh, and we're getting more tornados. One touched down on the fourth just south of here. The weather really is getting wacky. I just hope that wherever everybody is they take care of themselves, and others, while we ride out Mother Nature's mood swings.

10. malgal

malgal Member

I'm trying to reach Dona....
    Sorry if this is a strange way to go about it but I thought she'd want word on a friend of ours that is sick.

Hi Dona- can we meet up at the "other" board and exchange some info. on friend Ali? She's not doing well and I know she'd benefit from and appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
    Thought you'd want to know, also.
    Hope you're well!
    Love, Mallory
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2007]