Plans just go down the drain ...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I really hate this part of being sick .. especially at this time of the year .. both my DH and I are very quiet people .. luckily we can lead a very quiet, private life .. but we have a few good friends in the area and enjoy having a meal and conversation with them .. yet once again we both ran out of steam and had to cancel a luncheon with friends ..
    I just get so discouraged .. we hardly do anything like this, so it was a treat .. but the exhaustion knocks the heck out of us both ..
    I'm worried now that a meal I planned for Sunday with some other friends is going to be a problem as well.
    Does anyone have any suggestions to keep on track ?
    The meal I planned is very simple .. I can make the main course the day before ..
    I just wish I knew how to keep some energy going !
    Fudge 'deflated" ... sigh !
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2005]
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Christmas is my favorite time of the year but it is so exhausting. Most of my family lives 6 hours away and this year we will not be making the trip. It just takes me too long to recover.

My daughter, hubby & 2 grandkids will be coming up on the 27th. (She's a nurse so we go by her schedule). My mother and father-in-law are also coming up at the same time.

What I've found that helps is to have everything made or prepped in advance. Some recipes you can freeze and remove them the night before. Then the only thing left is reheating. I used to say no thanks when people offered to help clean up, but now I take them up on it.

Good luck through your holiday season.

Regards,

Eileen.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

The best suggestion that I can give is just to pace yourself. That is what I do when having big dinners, etc.

Don't worry too much about the house. Do what only needs to be done--they get someone to help you. My DIL helped clean my house for Thanksgiving--if you're younger than I am and don't have a daughter or DIL, ask your hubby.

Make your salads and dessert(s) the day before, or simply buy them. I often make this WONDERFUL ice cream dessert called "Buster Bars" because you can make it 2 or 3 days before--as long as you don't eat it all before the party!! The recipe for it is in Acesnanna's post about holiday recipes that is somewhere on the first 4 pages or so now.

Make sure you take many rest breaks during the days you are preparing for your dinner. Eat well, and take your vitamins and all your other meds.

I had 28 people for Thanksgiving. The cleanup was just as important to me as the preparation, even though the preparation took much longer! I had a kitchen cleanup crew that volunteered out of my guests, so it went off really well!

Good luck with your dinner!

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

On the "do only what needs to be done" front, is there somewhere you could order the food, if necessary. The visiting amoung friends is the most important part of the meal, not the food. Don't make yourself so exhausted cooking the day before that you cannot enjoy the dinner, or worse, have to cancel it.
  5. justonemoreday

justonemoreday New Member

in CA some medicines are legal here and not in other states, these medicines when i need it give me energy and a better mood so i can get things down even if i am down hard as i call it , so meds and a short time on the couch. i am ready!
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thank you all for the great suggestions !
    I was getting so discouraged when we had to cancell that previous lunch .. I kept thinking .. so this is what the rest of my life is going to be ? .. we do so little entertaining which is fine .. but just once in a while we like to have our close friends over and that is when it seems to go downhill in a bad way (maybe I do put to much pressure on myself that everything has to be a certain way ? )
    BUT .. all these suggestions are great .. and I know you all have issues with this type of activity .. so I'm NOT alone !
    Thank you all !
    Fudge : )