Plantar Fasciitis/What do you do for it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Apr 21, 2007.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Was wondering who all here has been dx with the painful foot/heel plantar fasciitis. My boyfriend has been dx with it and we were told of some stretches to do and a boot type thing to wear at night.

Any advice from some of you that have been dx with this would be appreciated. What helped the most for you??? What type of shoes do you wear??

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2007]
  2. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

you poor thing kriket, i do developed PF when trying to get fit, had very good and expensive runners and still got it, I believe that its the mechanics of your feet at least thats what i was told by my podiatrist. I did need to get orthotics, very expensive and trien many otherthings to put in your shoe to start of with, I had my ankle foot bandaged up hobbled around like that for months and finally submitted to the othotics AND NOW well i wear any shoes and if they are comfortable I walk in thos as walking is the only exercis i like doing, so kriket, for some it works and some it doesnt. its painful and you need to do whatever you think helps but it can cost heaps
    good luck let me know how you get on
  3. 2psnapod

2psnapod New Member

Your doctor can give you shots in your foot/feet for the plantar fasciitis. Virtually the same as trigger point injections for FMS. But the foot shots hurt sooooooooooo much that I put up with the pain forever before I go get the shots! You can also get special inserts for your shoes - there are custom made inserts designed from moulds of your feet but they are very expensive. There are also "generic" inserts that are much cheaper. I have found the best shoes I can wear are Birkenstock's but I don't think your boyfriend would like to wear those! A good quality tennis shoe would work. One of the keys is to always wear shoes - even inside. That took me awhile to get used to but I finally got some memory foam slippers so I wear them all the time inside.
  4. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

birkenstocks

foot stretches

always wear shoes or sneakers, never barefot

avoid standing for long periods

anti inflam pills- advil tylenol etc

drugstore inserts can help a bit- ex dr sholls gellin, etc

ice packs on feet

good luck!

5. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

I got it in 2003 and it has never gone away. I see a podiatrist. I also have some spurs. For a normal person, it is usually something that does go away after awhile but it is now part of my FM and has never left my body. I tried everything. At first I did cortisone shots into my heels and beginning of arch-these really helped for several months and then they stopped working. I have orthodic inserts paid by insurance and I wear in all my shoes - I also went to Good Feet and got additional inserts. I stretch, stretch, stretch - most importantly before you get out of bed - with a towel under your arch and pull up each side of the towel at the same time to stretch the fascia. Use OTC pain relievers. I had physical therapy (ultrasound,massage,ice). I had bone scans which supported increased uptake(blood flows and blood pooling) in different areas but no stress fracture. There is EWST-Extracorporal Shock Wave Therapy - which most insurances do not pay for - it is still under research. There is endoscopic fasciotomy which is surgery to go in and cut into the fascia to lengthen it (not suggested based on my research that it usually reduces pain not eliminating pain). What do I do today? Stretch, soak, ice, massage, pain relievers, orthodics. Having it so long has attributed to my lower back problems. You find you are hobbling and compensating your walk/stance all the time. It seems like this stuff just slowly moved up into my body and has now made a home - I am trying to evict it but not much is working. Good Luck with your efforts.
  6. revlcb

revlcb New Member

My hubby has gotten PF on a few occaisions. Then he heard about using magnetic inserts in his shoes. The ones he bought had at least 20 magnets in each insert and he mentioned that they felt uncomfortable at first but within two days he didn't notice them at all. He's been using magnetic inserts in his shoes for at least 5 years and hasn't had any problems since.
  7. dr32164

dr32164 New Member

I have it and am told by my doc that it goes along with FM. Had it for about 7 years and it never goes away for long. As others have said, anti-inflammatories, stretches, and I would add, arch supports. Once I began buying shoes with a good arch support, or used arch support inserts, the pain went away.

Good luck to you.
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I had that too and its so painful. The main thing that helped me was getting a good shoe. Merrells and Birkenstock and two really good brands. They are expensive but you`ll have a lot less pain. If your feet aren`t happy, no part of your body is.

Also, do you have a high arch? I do and I can`t wear flat sandals. If you have a high arch, wear an arch support in your shoe.

My plantar fascitties is totally gone now and all I did was get a good shoe. It makes a hugh difference.

Sandy
  9. netnut

netnut New Member

I got this twice years ago.

I think they first give you this boot to wear that has this wooden flat sole. That helps to relieve it. I also did the cortisone shots in my foot. They werent horrible.

I have worn very good tennis shoes most of the time since then because I have a tendency to over pronate and I think that contribute to the problem.

For a guy, after he gets better around the house, do they still make those Dr Scholl sandals that are wooden on the bottom with a leather strap across the top of the foot? I used those for a while.
  10. roseants

roseants New Member

I have it in my right foot, Birkenstocks (all the time, advil, stretches, and reall helped was a good chiropractic adjustment on my feet (as well as my whole body). My Chiro (back in fla. I'm in Az. now) was AWESOME. He would adjust my feet and that combined with stretches, did the trick. It's back now that I moved. Try a good Chiro!
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

I appreciate all of the suggestions and will look into each one of them. Thanks!!!

Kriket
  12. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

Grab any 2 cans of veggies out of you cabnet and place them on the floor in front of whare you are setting then place the arch of your foot on them while you are watching tv or sitting doing anything and just roll your foot on them like you would a rolling pin action and it gives me a lot of releif.

My doctor said it was due to tight arches and this loosened them up I do it every day and feels great.

have inserts specially made also but the massege works great for tired aching feet.

hope he finds releif.
    Brenda
  13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

With doing the stretches..I didn't have a boot to wear at night..but I did teach myself to sleep on my stomach with my feet hanging over the edge of the bed!LOL..that kept things stretched out at night for me. I found I had to be religious about doing the stretches though...and I have been lucky enough not to get it back for years now!
  14. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

As a ballet dancer it was pretty common to get PF. I found icing my feet (in a bucket of ice water or with an ice bottle), elevating them and using a roller three times a day helped. Anti-inflammatories can be helpful as well as, obviously, cushioned shoes.

I avoided walking as much as possible which was hard living in NYC (lol), but resting is helpful.

It takes time to go away, but if it persists, some get injections. I never had to do that, but we're all different.

Hope the pain eases up as it's so debilitating!!

Warmly,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  15. Engel

Engel New Member

one foot only ... I go to a podiatrist and get shots in it and wear special inserts in my shoes. If you like to wear heels/hot sexy strappy shoes ... it is in your best interest to stop wearing them. Oh and I do special exercises.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2007]
  16. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I changed positions at my work because of heel-spurs PF -
    I went through 6 months of physical therapy 3 sets of cortisone shots, wore the brace, the orthotics... Finally I changed jobs to an office job so I wasn't on my feet as much. It still acts up when I'm on my feet.

It's better than it was. I remember crawling to the bathroom in the morning because it was too painful to walk...

Good luck...
    dona
  17. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

Rest your feet as much as possible. This is strange, but the only good thing about my CFS relapse of the last 10 months is that my PF is gone. Before that, I was walking every day (something I miss SO much since I've become so sick) and trying various treatment for PF. Now that I am sitting or lying down so much of the time, the pain is gone.
    I know it's not a practical solution, but as much rest as possible to give "the heel a chance to heal."

The things I tried that seemed to give some relief:
    -Birkenstock sandals
    -soak feet in warm water and Epsom salt
    -use foot massager
    -gentle stretches 1st thing in the morning BEFORE getting out of bed