Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brneyedgrl, Jan 31, 2006.

1. brneyedgrl

brneyedgrl New Member

I was diagnosed with this yesterday and have done a search

on here and found quit a few people have had this. I just

have a question if anyone can answer for me. When I done a

search on this it said it was a medical term name for bone

spurs. The podiatrist didn't say anything to me about a

bone spur. Is this always caused by bone spurs? I also

have pain that radiates up my knee to my hip and in the

back side of my thigh I feel lumps. The lumps just kind of

scares me. Thanks for anyone who answers.

Brneyedgrl
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My husband has plantar fasciitis, not me, and I'm not an expert---but I thought bones spurs were entirely different; I know he does NOT have bone spurs. I, on the other hand, have had surgery on a toe of mine for a bone spur, and my doctor never alluded to it having anything to do with fasciitis. So I think these two things are serarate, but maybe others here with this problem can educate both of us!

What helped my husband the most with his plantar fasciitis was getting custom orthotic inserts made for his shoes---very expensive, but he said almost instantly his pain was literally gone! And often insurance covers the cost, it's just that it wasn't covered under our plan. But honestly, it's been worth the expense because they've done so much good.

Hopefully, you'll get other responses from the plantar fasciitis crowd here...

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

The best advice I can give is good shoes. Also dont walk around the house in bare feet or slippers. I wear good running shoes all day in the house. If I dont my feet burn and my knees give out.
    hugs poodlemum
  4. brneyedgrl

brneyedgrl New Member

Thanks for everyone's reply. Desertage, did the surgery

help you any?

Brneyedgrl
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

that could be me you are talking about, same pain exactly. When DH does deep foot massage on sole it helps the pains up my legs as sports doc said it is myofascial pain the pulling and locking of the top thin layer of muscles that causes this pain

ALSO foot pain can be caused by neuroma under the foot too. Special bar put into shoes can help ease pain. My neuroma I had went away finally but that was right at the start of FM.

Love Anne
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

My husband gets his shoes at a special shoe store. The owner
    previously told my DH that many think they have bone spurs and even some drs. operate. But that it is the shoe itself....

well, let me back track some....we all walk in a certain gait. Our hips go back and forth differently, our feet sometimes angles to one side or another. Some walks on the side of their feet. Some walk ..Heel to toe///or toe to heel
    and all kinds of variations.

Also ones that has had Polio walk differently and so does some other things people are born with causes problems because their brain and the signals to the legs and feet do not always work in junction. Some fall and trip easily because of this.

So this man does special inserts for your shoes and for the shoes he either adds a little or shaves down sections so you will walk better. In walking better you feel better and also the pressure is not on the heels and they stop bothering you.

My DH did not complain about his heels, but he walks with one foot going one way and one another (like a duck) and has a hip problem from a floating bone chip. He had braces on his feet after birth. But this treatment of his feet makes a world of difference.
  7. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

i've had some pain in my left foot since last march. i was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, and put on anti-inflamatory. well, i get going on my treadmill so it got worse. i also have some numb toes as well. i did get a shot of cortisone last july which helped.

i have been going to a guy who does ART, active release therapy, which is deep muscle work. when i walk i lift my toes instead of gripping. i rode horse for 10 years and i rode English, where it was "toes up, heels down" and i guess i've walked like that ever since. my son got married in Nov. and i had to were high heels (which i never wear) and thatput so much pressure on the ball/pads of my feet that my teos are numb. he has helped alot with my right foot, but still working on my left.

anyway, my arch still hurts if i wear the wrong shoe, and the only shoes i wear now are running shoes. luckily i work in a hospital so can wear them there. i went to a running store to get a good shoe, and i was wearing a shoe that was 1 whole size to small.i wear dr. shools inserts becasue the custom ones are like 325.00 and i don't have the money for them.

i does seem like we get alot of "itis" symptoms, at least i seem too.

hope this helps,

warmly,
    maggie
  8. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I suggest you get a Igenex western blot test for Lyme. I was diagnosed with plantars fascitas. When I finally got into see a Lyme M.D.,after years of being misdiagnosed with cfs, he said it is very common with lyme patients. The lyme like to migrate to the cooler part of you body so the feet is a ideal place to go. My symptoms started to improve when I started taking antibiotics.
  9. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I was only diagnosed with it a couple of weeks ago. I had been suffering for 6 months but just thought it would go away or that it was just another pain I had to endure. I got some orthotics that I wear in my slippers as well as my shoes and it does help somewhat but the pain is still there.
    I am already on anti-inflammatories so I guess I will just wait it out and hopefully it will go away some day. It is very annoying as I can't stand or walk for long.
    Take care
    Sandy
  10. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I have it too and have to wrap my foot to get on my treadmill and on and off throughout the day... what a pain. Cortisone shots helped a little but not for long. Good luck to all, seems like it is always something.

Tona
  11. deb06

deb06 New Member

I have never heard that these are the same. However, I was referred to physical therapy to treat the plantars fashiitis, with great results- a first for me!!! She did some cortisone treatment and some massage stretching of the fachai (sp)- also, I was taught how to do massage and stretching on my own at home. Has done wonders. I used to could barely walk to the bathroom in the morning, and now I have no trouble at all. deb