Plaquenil.....Anyone taking it ????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KathiM, Mar 10, 2003.

1. KathiM

KathiM New Member

I am just curious if anyone here is taking Plaquenil ????

My rhuematologist called me today and wants to start me on it along with medrol dose pak.......

Just curious if anyone has gone this route

Thanks for your input.

kathi
  2. Jorbax

Jorbax New Member

My rheumatologist started me on Plaquenil and Pred also....I had elevated ANA and joint pain and fluid. The plaquenil is an antimalarial medication which they are not for sure how it works to help autoimmune problems. It is commonly used as a treatment for Lupus, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. My doc thought it might help also with the fatigue. You have to give it a while to get into your system. Sometimes it can take up to 6 months they say to notice any difference with it. I was on it for a year and a half. I did not have any improvement however.
    Do you have something other than Fibro going on????
    I did not have any problem as far as reactions to this medication. Good luck to you, let us know what is going on???
  3. KathiM

KathiM New Member

Jorbax.....thanks for your reply........
    Actually my rheumatologist is saying my case is one big puzzle and he is trying to find all the pieces.

My sed Rate is HIGH but ANA keeps coming back normal but joint pain is horrible and muscle weakness is VERY prominent in thighs and legs.

He did explain the use of this for certain rheumatic conditions and lupus but he is not "putting a disease" on me yet at this point or who knows if ever. I think a lot of it is trial and error.........lol.......I just am apprehensive sometimes to be the guiena-pig.

Am going for the "sleep-study" tonight so will see what that turns up !!!!!

Thanks
    Kathi
  4. WendyC

WendyC New Member

some of us are on it, most not.

Wendyc
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I've been taking Placquenil for a few years now for Lupus. I have not had any problems with it.