Plastic, microwaves, and toxic's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Charleen, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. Charleen

    Charleen New Member

    Has anyone ever did any research on plastic that are used in the microwave and Toxic's in our body's? My friend also has fibro and cfs and someone told here there might be somthing to this. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this or did any research on it.
  2. KateMac329

    KateMac329 New Member

    I have never researched this but have been VERY adamant about how I prepare and cook my food.

    My husband is an engineer both a computer and a design and he needs to see it on paper to believe it but you know what I just "KNOW" that it is wrong. I can't explain it I just do! LOL

    To me it just is common sense that you don't put plastic or styrofoam in a microwave! DUH! OR what about that new plastic rubbery cookware that they have come out with that is supposed to be easier to removed food from? I think it is red in color. COME ON! I wouldn't cook my food on that if somone paid me a million dollars! Well maybe I would but I would deem it inedible!

    Anyway, I definitely think there is something to this and not just a link to people with CFS or FM. It is just common sense to me!

    ((HUGS))

    kate
  3. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    Gladware for the microwave is a good product that I like. Never use plastics such as butter bowls and the like for the microwave only microwave approved plastic.

    Here is a very good article in the Chicogotribune for another point of view and just may change my mind not sure though.

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/advice/chi-0606110424jun11,1,1590127.column?coll=chi-healthmain-utl


    Here is something from the FDA:

    U.S. Food and Drug Administration
    FDA Consumer magazine



    Plastics and the Microwave
    By Michelle Meadows

    Stories about the dangers of chemicals leaching from plastic into microwaved food have circulated on the Internet for years.

    As a result, the Food and Drug Administration continues to receive inquiries from concerned consumers.

    Consumers can be confident as they heat holiday meals or leftovers in the microwave that the FDA carefully reviews the substances used to make plastics designed for food use.

    These include microwave-safe plastic coverings that keep food from splattering and microwave-safe containers that hold frozen dinners.

    Even microwavable popcorn bags, which look like paper, actually contain a metalized plastic film that allows them to reach high temperatures so the corn can fully pop.

    Under the food additive provisions of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, new substances used to make plastics for food use are classified as "food contact substances."

    They must be found safe for their intended use before they can be marketed.

    "It's true that substances used to make plastics can leach into food," says Edward Machuga, Ph.D., a consumer safety officer in the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.

    "But as part of the approval process, the FDA considers the amount of a substance expected to migrate into food and the toxicological concerns about the particular chemical."

    The agency has assessed migration levels of substances added to regulated plastics and has found the levels to be well within the margin of safety based on information available to the agency.

    The FDA will revisit its safety evaluation if new scientific information raises concerns.

    One chemical called diethylhexyl adipate (DEHA) has received a lot of media attention.

    DEHA is a plasticizer, a substance added to some plastics to make them flexible. DEHA exposure may occur when eating certain foods wrapped in plastics, especially fatty foods such as meat and cheese. But the levels are very low.

    The levels of the plasticizer that might be consumed as a result of plastic film use are well below the levels showing no toxic effect in animal studies.

    Other claims have asserted that plastics contain dioxins, a group of contaminants labeled as a "likely human carcinogen" by the Environmental Protection Agency.

    "The FDA has seen no evidence that plastic containers or films contain dioxins and knows of no reason why they would," Machuga says.

    Machuga says that consumers should be sure to use any plastics for their intended purpose and in accordance with directions.

    If you don't find instructions for microwave use, you should use a different plate or container that you know is microwave-safe. Such containers are made to withstand high temperatures.

    For example, carryout containers from restaurants and margarine tubs should not be used in the microwave, according to the American Plastics Council.

    Inappropriate containers may melt or warp, which can increase the likelihood of spills and burns.

    Also, discard containers that hold prepared microwavable meals after you use them because they are meant for one-time use.

    Microwave-safe plastic wrap should be placed loosely over food so that steam can escape, and should not directly touch your food.

    "Some plastic wraps have labels indicating that there should be a one-inch or greater space between the plastic and the food during microwave heating," Machuga says.

    Always read directions, but generally, microwave-safe plastic wraps, wax paper, cooking bags, parchment paper, and white microwave-safe paper towels are safe to use.

    Covering food helps protect against contamination, keeps moisture in, and allows food to cook evenly.

    Never use plastic storage bags, grocery bags, newspapers, or aluminum foil in the microwave.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    FDA/Office of Public Affairs
    Web page created by clb 2002-OCT-19.

    When I find where the FDA has updated this advice I will post it.

    I hope this helps a little,

    Karen :)

    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  4. Michelle_NZ

    Michelle_NZ New Member

    Personally, I think we should our microwaves as little as possible, if not never!

    I'll bump a post for you about how the microwave destroyes nutrients.

    Take care
    Michelle
  5. jole

    jole Member

    I honestly don't think it's a hoax. I really believe all our problems began about the time of microwaves, and cancer took a big jump after plastic wraps came into being. Maybe I'm just being silly, but I have been cautious about these products. (And yep, I have FM)<Sigh>

    Friends~
  6. KateMac329

    KateMac329 New Member

    Snopes says that it's a hoax but I believe what I believe. LOL

    I just "feel" in my gut that it just isn't right. Just like I feel I shouldn't get too many x-rays or breathing chemicals to develop film is bad and well painting with my fingers with certain chemicals is bad too.

    I can get a little paranoid sometimes but we all know that am OCD about too! LOL LOL

    ((HUGS))

    kate