please advise- work related

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susabar, Dec 6, 2002.

1. susabar

susabar New Member

I am a full time employee, but only believe I am capable of working part-time now. When I return to my job, should I try to keep my FT status as long as possible while working PT hours ( AS long as my employer will allow )?? I read some where that you shouldn't change your status if you want to collect disability at some point. I really don't know what I am capable of doing at this point.
    What do you think ??
    Sue
  2. susabar

susabar New Member

I am a full time employee, but only believe I am capable of working part-time now. When I return to my job, should I try to keep my FT status as long as possible while working PT hours ( AS long as my employer will allow )?? I read some where that you shouldn't change your status if you want to collect disability at some point. I really don't know what I am capable of doing at this point.
    What do you think ??
    Sue
  3. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

I think the amount you are making affects what you will draw for benefits.
    If your medical insurance is related to your job you may need to consider how it will affect your coverage also
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

It depends on several things. Are you covered by a short or long term disability policy at you job? If so does it have provisions for partial disability? Going part-time might affect how much you get from them. SSDI is based on your lifetime earnings, so it won't affect that as much.

I hope you are able to work something out that will be beneficial to you.

Barbara
  5. JP

JP New Member

If you can, keep your FT status. It does make a difference if you draw disability. Check it out anyway. My experience is that you receive 80% of your monthly income, if PT, it will be substantially less.

Take care...Jan
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and used all of my PTO hours for resting and taking care of myself. That is documented by my emplorer, that I had to use ALL of the PTO hours I ever accrued for sickness nearly every month! I seldom got any hours "saved up" for a vacation because I was always having to be out of work for my illness. When I had to go on LOA three weeks ago, I was glad I continued full-time, because now I'm on STD, and I suppose I'll have to apply for LTD and SSDI. I am so thankful for these benefits!!!
    Kady
  7. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

in th UK we must work at least 16 hours a week to get any sort of sick benefit. I dont know how that works in your country, try to find out before you do anything hasty.
    Pat
  8. tamikim1

tamikim1 New Member

Hi Sue,
    I wrote on the message board this morning but I don't even see my message, I am probably not doing it right, I am new at this. I have been out on STD since 10-11-02 but they paid the 1st 2 wks and then I had to fight tooth and nail and finally got a ck for Nov and Dec on Jan 27th. But now they keep dening me. Please give me whatever advise you have on what I need to do. My doctor has filled out paper work after paper work but still nothing. Help please.
    Thanks, Tami