please any ideas for pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I"m really having a rough time I"m in so much pain from coughing, my ribs and back hurt so bad i can"t sit back in a chair, should I ice it or put heat on it.

Please any ideas would help. I"m crying and just can"t stand it . I sure hope some one see this. sixtyslady
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm so sorry. That's all you need on top of the Fibro pain.
    I would try ice first but use whatever works for you. If you have a pain cream of any sort, you might try that. Our grandmothers would use a mustard plasters or castor oil packs!

Do you have some cough medicine? If not, get some and take your pain meds.

Feel better soon.
    Kathy.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm sorry I'm not able to help you either. The only thing I can think of is a strong cough syrup, too.

Maybe a soak in a hot tub would help.

Why don't you call your doctor Friday morning and tell him/her how badly you are feeling. Maybe he and/or the nurse could tell you something that would help.

If you have a lot of mucus in your chest that you need to cough up, try something called Musinex (?sp.) It is supposed to help get all that mucus up and out of your chest.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would get to the doctor tomorrow. They can give you something to loosen the congestion and make the coughing less. You can get an expectorant over the counter, but you really should see a doctor.

You might want to inhale steam. Also, the doctor can give you cough medicine that will stop the coughing right away. That you can only get by prescription since it has codeine.

Make sure to push fluids - lots of water. To get more water down heat it slightly, just to warm, and add a small amount of fruit juice to flavor it.

Get some Vicks Rub and put it all over your ribs.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2006]
  5. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I"m still in alot of pain I"M going to try to get in to the DR, this morning.hope she can help .thanks for all the ideas
    sixtyslady
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

sixtyslady:

I swear by a large, really good heating pad. I spend all of my time on it. If I do not use it I have more pain.

Also, I asked doc if I could get an Rx for Elavil. It helps me with pain and sleep. I love the 50mg./daytime: it takes the edge off. 50mg/bedtime helps me sleep.

I am so sorry you have this pain. Feel better soon.

nyrofan
  7. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

your rib cage w/a 6 or 8in.wide ace bandage til you can get to the doc. It will compress your chest area & keep it from hurting so much..

I did that when I had bronchitis & it worked well. Hope you get into the doc today..

Feel better;
    Hugs & blessings;
    Fifth