Please - anyone have this kind of back ache???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shell, Sep 20, 2002.

1. shell

shell New Member

After 5 years of mild fibro symptoms - I suddenly got this horrible back-ache 3 weeks ago. Started between my shoulder blades every day it would move to new spots up and down my back and has even been to the front bottom of my rib cage. It is a dull ache sometimes burning. Even on both sides of the back moving up and down. Seems so much worst sitting, better standing. It feels like it is in my bones!! I have also found a lump under my right arm pit - very small doctor says to just watch it and gave me anti inflamatory med's which are not helping one bit. I also have fibro cystic breasts - very very lumpy and am worried that this 3 weeks constant ache is more then just fibro - don't want to have cancer or something and have my Dr. thinking I have fibro... as I have never had fibro in my spine before on ly my shoulders arms legs hips. Has anyone had severe back pains moving up and down and feeling like it is in your bones. Please alleviate my worries I have a mammogram just to be safe next Friday but man if it is something worst in my bones, that is something to get scared about.
  2. shell

shell New Member

After 5 years of mild fibro symptoms - I suddenly got this horrible back-ache 3 weeks ago. Started between my shoulder blades every day it would move to new spots up and down my back and has even been to the front bottom of my rib cage. It is a dull ache sometimes burning. Even on both sides of the back moving up and down. Seems so much worst sitting, better standing. It feels like it is in my bones!! I have also found a lump under my right arm pit - very small doctor says to just watch it and gave me anti inflamatory med's which are not helping one bit. I also have fibro cystic breasts - very very lumpy and am worried that this 3 weeks constant ache is more then just fibro - don't want to have cancer or something and have my Dr. thinking I have fibro... as I have never had fibro in my spine before on ly my shoulders arms legs hips. Has anyone had severe back pains moving up and down and feeling like it is in your bones. Please alleviate my worries I have a mammogram just to be safe next Friday but man if it is something worst in my bones, that is something to get scared about.
  3. sheiba

sheiba New Member

hey shell,
    bless your heart, i'm sorry you're so scared! but yes, i do have a horrid time w/my spine. when i wake up on my stomach, i can barely turn over and have to do a funky little push with my arms and push myself over b/c i can't move my back. it's very painful. i do have it in many of my joints - but i'm not sure if that's exactly what you're referring, too. if you have a lymph node swollen, it could be your body trying to fight something, so i'd definately keep an eye on it. the nurse on here - please forgive me, i don't remember her name - might be able to give you more info on that topic. as for the mammogram, i don't think it's ever silly to do that. you certainly can't go wrong w/keeping up with that.

i do have an almost consistant pain that is in my right lower quadrant of my back that is unbearable sometimes. it's like a tight, hard, achy, burning feeling, and nothing subsides the pain. but it stays in the same spot all the time - supposedly the muscles hovering over my colon. the only migrating pain i've had is just going from one muscle area to the other - sometimes back, sometimes legs, sometimes arms, wrists, etc. i've had that come and go, and sometimes it's a long period of time, and other times it's shorter. weather, menstral cycle, and stress are all contributors.

not sure if i helped or made it worse w/my reply. but i hope you get some relief soon. be sure to keep us posted!
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I'm a little surprised with your pain in your back, that your doc didn't at least do an xray of your spine, or maybe put you on antibiotics with your swollen lymph node under your arm. It's probably good to wait on the antibiotics, as the docs have RX'd them way too much in the past & people stop them when they feel better without doing the entire time of the medicine. Then, the antibiotics may not work when they are really necessary. It does seem like he should have done something more. I'd call him back in a week if it hasn't subsided or right away if it worsens. One of your symptoms reminded me of a gallbladder attack. See if it's worse after eating fatty foods. I have pain that is in my back. The one related to my fibro radiates between my shoulder blades. My other back & neck pain is initially related to two separate auto accidents. Now they are part of the entire package though. I do agree with you too about, hoping your doc doesn't miss anything esle because he doesn't look secondary to your FMS. I do find that docs like to blame everything on FMS. So, you may have to get pushy to get proper treatment if this doesn't resolve soon. Good luck. dolsgirl
  5. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

Hi Shell
    If it were me, I would push for more test when it comes to the lump. A lump can mean different things...I am glad you are having a mammo here shortly.
    I have the same kind of back pain you have in my back....between the shoulder blades, and then it feels like a crawling pain going up and down my back. When I get this...I know I have over done it. My doctor tells me it's from my FM and I have a doctor who I trust.....he specializes CFS and Fibro. Hang in there and hope you feel better.
  6. shell

shell New Member

Thank you so much for all of your responses. It is so hard to try and distinguish between what might be fibro and 'what if'.. I will definitely take your advice to get more testing done.... It feels so much better to listen to what you guys have to say about this. I really appreciate it!!!!!
  7. marilew

marilew New Member

I have had a strange pain in my back for a few years now that no one seems to know the cause of. It is on the upper left side about half way between the shoulder and the spine. When I overdo it it hurts so much, and if feels like there are worms crawling under my skin there. Since I have been off of work, it seems to have subsided some. I also get the wicked back-ache and have to do the funky-chicken to get out of bed if I happen to roll over onto my stomach during sleep.

I always have pain that feels like it is in my bones too, and that is what took me to the Dr. several years ago complaining. I have accepted that it's the fibro now. I get the rib cage pain etc as well. Press the Dr., but try to think if you have overdone it at all lately before you go into panic. I sat through a "Junior High Farewell" for 2 hours in June on a typical gymnasium chair...and I suffered with my back like I had never done before for weeks after. I had to have physio on my back for about a month for that one. :eek:(

A word of advice...before the mammogram...leave off of all caffeine...soft drinks...chocolate. You should do that for at least two weeks, but it's never too soon to leave off of it. It really helps with the pain endured with the mammogram. I followed it faithfully, and my mammogram was a lot easier than I had expected.

(((Hugs)))
    M
  8. maggie9550

maggie9550 New Member

Could be your gall baldder. I just found out the pain in my right shoulder blade and back pain was from my gall bladder. Have your doctor do a liver function test.
    Good luck
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

hon, do you happen to have arthritis in your spine? i do, in the lower spine and hips. and sometime i get this incredible pain. i understand what you are saying. it's miserable. sometimes heat can be very soothing, have you tried that? cindi
  10. sheiba

sheiba New Member

ok....i'm being a little dumb here, but what's new. LOL i have pain b/t my shoulder blades and it is also like...over and under my shoulder blade. it then radiates down my arms. do you all experience this? is this the one you're referring to? i'm guessing these are the pressure points?this one is quite ouchie and seeing how my job requires so much typing, it aggrevates it. it is really bad on some days and then ok on others. it's more common in my left, too, but they're both sore. i think it's the same one that you all are talking about, but i wanted to make sure.

the other i was talking about - it's actually more in the middle of my back on the right side. does anyone experience that kind of pain? it's getting more and more consistant these days, esp w/my period. very painful.
  11. shell

shell New Member

This site sure was my vent the last couple of weeks. The back pain has decided to stay for a while, and now the legs and arms etc etc have all started up (pain i am way more familiar with). I guess this may be my first big flare. I have had episodes before but nothing like what people have described on the site until this month if that is what I went through. Had lump ultrasounded and is swollen lymph to watch. Also had complete blood work up and back xray, which are perfect. I am glad I pushed to have these tests done... I sure did appreciate everyones support. My doctor told me I needed to get back to my regular exercise at the gymn and asked if I have been sleeping ok (i have even though i stay tired all day). He never mentioned fibro - this is my diagnosis - your body can't handle stress. I said doc what if the pain stays - he said see how negative you are this is why it won't go away. I definitely know my body is telling me something and it is a good wake up call. Have to make changes just don't know quite what they are yet.
  12. shell

shell New Member

One more thing I forgot to say - The only thing I remembered doing the week this all happened - I went to a hotel for the weekend where there was a massage shower and i put it on very very strong stream that beat on my back - then a week or so later also went to a jacuzzi and soaked under a strong vibration (thinking it may help when back ache started). I told my b-f this and he thought it should of helped not hindered. Anyone else have problems with jacuzzi's or strong water vibrations stimulating your muscles??
  13. ArtTeacher

ArtTeacher New Member

I've been dealing with such a tight, annoying pain in my back since 1999. Right between my shoulder blades. I had a ultrasound of my gallbladder done in Oct. 1999 and everything was fine. Then nothing was done about it. I have the pain when I'm standing and sitting. What I realized was that when I stretched the muscles in my back it helped the pain slightly and when I layed down the pain fades, it just ached a little. I've figured it's because my boobs are to heavy and they're putting a strain on my back muscles. I was finally diagnosed this past August. Having FMS probably makes my back pain more intense. I've known for years. My mom has FMS too. She was diagnosed in 1999 but we both have been dealing with symptoms since 1997. Mine are less severe, probably because I'm in my mid twenties. I'm on an anti-inflamatory and it's helped. Some days no pain and other days maybe an ache. The muscle relaxer at night is great because I don't wake up in pain, waking my husband up to massage my back to help the pain. I'm also trying to build my back muscles to help the pain , it does help.
  14. eeyore

eeyore New Member

MY PAIN IS ALSO IN BETWEEN MY SHOULDER BLADES AND GOES UP THE BACK OF MY NECK. I CAN'T EVEN TOUCH THE BONE(SPINE) THAT GOES UP THE BACK OF MY NECK BECAUSE IT HURTS TO TOUCH.WHEN MY BACK HURTS LIKE THAT I USUALLY END UP WITH A STIFF NECK AND HAVE A HARD TIME TURNING MY NECK TO SEE WHEN I'M DRIVING. BUT LIKE MOST EVERYONE ELSE MY PAIN TRAVELS FROM MY NECK TO MY HIP TO MY HAND AND MY ARMS HAVE BEEN NUMB LATELY, I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW THE PAIN TRAVELS EVERYDAY OR SO.FEEL BETTER.