please can anyone tell me what to take for IBS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sukis, Jun 17, 2006.

1. sukis

sukis New Member

hi all,
    please can anyone tell me what i can take for IBS i am in agony here love sukis
  2. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I have Ibs D&C, & know the feeling. Stay away from gas causing foods. I take acidopholus/probiotic, that finally straightened me out. A simple yougart cup won't do it, needs to be a pretty high dose of it..I take 2.4billion live cultures 3times daily.

The flora in your intestines need something that will clear out all the bad stuff. And I've found taking that helps the most..Other supplements I take for it are; grapeseed extract, 50mg. daily, a multi-enzyme digestive tab 3 times daily, & L-Glutamine 500mg. daily to keep the Liver clean.

I buy most of my supplements from Puritan, they seem to have the best prices, & no additives, ie; yeast, sugar, wheat, etc.

The only way to relieve the pain right now, til you can get your hands on some of this stuff, is to stay away from the gassy foods, & I found stretching out on the bed or recliner helps alot. (lay on your left side)

Some people w/ibs take beano w/everything they eat, but that gets expensive to take w/EVERY BITE you put into your mouth. But it may give you some temporary relief for the now...

I hope some of this info helps you sukis....I DO feel your pain. It's awful...

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  3. hambys97

hambys97 New Member

I have gotten the dx of IBS just in the last couple of weeks. FD gave me levsin and said to see if that helped. Well, it definitely helped with the flatulence (sp.?). I have D&C, so I am having trouble finding help. I do take fiber supplements, don't think that really helps. I have to find something that helps with the gas. Hubby can't stand it. I can't stand it, either. But sure don't know what to do about it. EVERYTHING I eat causes gas. HELP!!!

Angela
  4. sukis

sukis New Member

hi all,
    thanks for your replys its very kind of you to take the trouble, i have took it all in what you have said, it dosent leave me much to eat so i wont bother. i am not constipated or diarher ,its just mucos coming out love sukis
  5. winsomme

winsomme New Member

i also use high dose probiotics. there are a lot of brands. currently i use Culturelle and Nature's Way.

also have used:

Kirkman
    Bio-K
    Klaire Labs

all of these can be looked up through Google and many ordered over the internet right to your house.

also i have heard about a really expensive one called:

VSL#3

i haven't tried it, but their web site shows actual studies that show its effectiveness.

i also take something called Candex which is an enzyme that is supposed to fight back Candida (yeast).

some people also have reported benefit from Low Dose Naltrexone which is one of the treatments that is used to fight off CFS itself. it is supposed to help balance the immune system, but also may help IBS.

here are a couple of websites:

www.lowdosenaltrexone.org

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/lowdosenaltrexone/

the second one is a Yahoo group dedicated to LDN and all the diseases it may help.

let me know if you have any questions.

thanks
    bill

let men
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I agree,...
    that elimination diet is NUTS!
    you'd starve to death!
    I think everyone has trigger foods that cause their IBS pain to flare up.
    Many foods are irritants for each individual. Just take notice of what you eat and when your IBS gets worse.

I will agree and say that Probiotics is a plus for anyone!! Good health begins in the Gut.

There are sooooo many brands out there,so just google search probiotics. Some have added slippery elm and peppermint,or marshmallow root,....all are really good at calming down your colon/digestive system.

Taking Probiotics are whats helped my IBS the most.
    Hope this helps~
    Tandy
  7. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I have crohns disease adn suffer between d&c...start a food diary and write down everythign you eat adn waht results you have after eating..that day..such as..pain,,bloating,,d or c...etc...

when you are bothered try giving your intestines a rest and eat soft foods..soup..mashed potatoes, rice..etc.

my gi told me not to eat:
    red meat
    raw veggies..salads adn such
    fried foods
    beans..give gas and bloat bad
    pop corn
    nuts
    dairy products
    corn
    black pepper is hard on me
    chinese food is hard on me soemtimes..

just watch what you eat adn take it from there.
    hope this helps you soem

jennie
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Most probiotics will help, somewhat, but for severe gut problems, Primal is the best. It was designed by a doctor dying of Chrohn's, who saved his own life w/ it. It has much more than just friendly bacteria and has made me regular for first time in my life.

The two things that can still jam me up though, are hydrogenated oil and too much cheeze. I think that elimination diet is nuts too. I eat most of what is one their w/ no problems. I avoid preservatives like MSG AND SULPHITES, and hydrogenates like the black plague they are though.

Jeanne
  9. crossword

crossword New Member

- one heaping tablespoon mixed in juice. I take it before breakfast. Works great for me. I am no longer in agony. Everything is back to normal.
  10. kjfms

kjfms Member

I just wanted to wish you well and I hope you find relief soon. I too have IBS D/C and now what a pain in the butt in can be (no pun intended).

I also have thyroid problems so the whole roughage thing does not work very well for me. I have found, with the help of my Endocrinologist that a stool softener or milk of mag. works very well for me.

Have you talked with your physician about this? He/she might be able to help you.

I found this site which may give you some ideas:

http://www.gastromd.com/education/print_irritablebowelsyndrome.html

Take care,

Karen :)
  11. legaldiva007

legaldiva007 New Member

I was also bothered by IBS until I started taking probiotics. Thay have made a huge difference in my daily living!
  12. suzetal

suzetal New Member

And it has solved my IBS .You need to take it daily.I use Digestive advantage it is made for IBS.You can get it over the counter.

Hope this helped.
    Sue
  13. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

I have had IBS for 10 years now. I have had a colonosopy (sp) and seen all the "BEST" doctors. One of them told me to take flaxseed oil two times a day and citricel at night before bed.
    I will take the flaxseed oil because all I have to do is grab a glass of water and taker it with my other meds.
    I could not believe it it works!!!
    I get mine at cones health food store because they are the only ones that sell the kind in the refriderator. Ther doctor said its important to get the kind that stays cold not just sitting on the shelf. Something about it being pure.
    Thats the only thing I do. I still eat the same and go about the day the same way. I used to have to plan my trips to town by where the bathrooms were. I couldnt eat until I got to where I was going because I know I would have to stop and use the bathroom! It was a nightmare!!

Hope it helps...

Melinda
  14. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I use Digestive Advantage for IBS and it helps me more than anything else I've tried. I do take a gas-x pill with it daily and at least now I can go to the bathroom.
    My doc gave me latalose and the Pharamist said it would do the trick. All it did was give me gas so I went back to advantage. It took me about a month to get regular again which my regulgar is every 3 or 4 days. I was only going once every 8 or 10 day and that was no fun at all.
    I have had the colon scope done and nothing shows up plus the scope down my throat so I have been checked, just never found anything that worked for me. If you buy Digestive Advantage for IBS at Walmart its only about 8 dollars for a months worth. Small price to pay for relief.
    cindy
  15. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

My sister found with her severe IBS that if she stays away from wheat she is fine. I think there is more to diet than we realize, and it's different for everyone.

For mine, which was not as severe as hers, the Apple cider vinegar has completely taken it away. I am more regular than ever before, no bloating and cramping.

Hope you find relief.

Maia
  16. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'd suggest doing a search here (use the search box in the uppder lefthand corner of the page under the purple bar that says "chat" "message boards" "coping corner" etc). Lots of people on here deal with IBS and have a bunch of great suggestions.

There are lots of posts on IBS such as this one :
    http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=804939&B=FM#808418

Here's what I wrote in that thread about the supplement I take that helps me A LOT!

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago with alternating diarrhea and constipation and was told to take a prescription and fiber supplements. Neither helpd.

Finally I feel better and have barely had symptoms in months. I take herbs that help my digestion and I eat balanced meals with enough fiber in them naturally and drink lots of water and I feel TONS better- and I had symptoms REALLY bad a couple of years ago, I would double over in pain, miss classes, never have normal bowl movements, and now I poo normally and everything! It's amazing.

The supplement I take is GI Encap made by Thorne Research, and it has the following in it:
    Plantain Banana (fruit) (Musa paradisiaca) 275.00mg
    Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL) (root) (Glycyrrhiza glabra) 175.00mg
    Slippery Elm (bark) (Ulmus fulva) 40.00mg
    Marshmallow (root) (Althea officinalis) 40.00mg

REALLY HELPS! It helps the food move along the digestive tract. And the herbs are very gentle, so I haven't had ANY side effects or reactions.

I also take probiotics, and use a heating pad on my belly when I'm cramping and hurting a lot. There are also yoga poses that help with belly trouble which I use a lot.

Hope your tummy feels better!
  17. Suzan

Suzan New Member

One of the new treatments is using an antibiotic...she also did the elimination diet etc before trying this..well the antibiotic has done the trick..she is back to normal..which is a big relief for her!
  18. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

The BRAT diet is bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast, not tea. lol This diet is for diarrhea, not constipation...

Hugs,
    Faye
  19. kbak

kbak Member

I would highly suggest eliminating gluten from your diet. I think you will be amazed at how much better you do. Today it's very easy to get gluten free products from any health food store.

K.
  20. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'm so glad that your daughter is feeling better after an antibiotic! Did she have some infection or something that was causing the IBS? That's really interesting that an antibiotic worked, because for me and most people I know who have IBS, antibiotics make us WORSE.

I am so glad she's feeling better. Hopefully, that med kicked the butt of whatever was ailing her and she'll be fine from now on. :)