****PLEASE **** Describe flare for me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, Jun 11, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Okay, I've been going through what I thought was a flare for a while now because my symptoms have worsened and my ability to do almost anything is so limited right now. Basically I feel sick and hurt constantly. I thought this was a flare.

I'm also having a lot of trouble sleeping again after taking elavil for 1 month, but have been off of it for a couple of months (it actually worsened my symptoms instead of helping me) and still can't sleep - maybe a couple of hours a night, if I'm lucky.

Last night was a particularly bad night. The spasms in my back were so bad that no amount of medicine would really ever ease it up, of course, that is on top of all of the usual symptoms, I was up until 4am in a lot of pain, did finally sleep for about 3 hours, and now I'm feeling so much worse than I have been,

I just feel sick all over in general with a low grade temperature, my head is pounding, my neck is killing me, my head is throbbing, my back is having spasms that would drop a cow to her knees and I just hurt really bad all over (oh, and did I mention that my head hurts??? lol - just noticced that, sorry).

I started to not even pull out the laptop this morning, but I felt I really needed to ask someone who could give me an answer or opinion or share their experience and knowledge.

What exactly do you go through in a flare and how does it affect you?
    Does it sound like I was in a flare already and it is just much worse this morning? Or was I just having the normal symptoms and actually experiencing the flare now?

I'm still new to all of this and don't know what to expect. All I know is that this has been one heck of a night and one of the worst mornings I have had since I lost my job. I used to feel like this all the time when I was still working, but I just thought that it was the major stress making the symptoms just that much worse at that time.

Anyone mind sharing exactly what a flare does to you and your opinion of what I was and am experiencing. I would appreciate it so very much. Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2006]
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I think flares may differ for all of us depending on what our symptoms are in the first place. Big help, huh? As I read your post I sensed the enormous fatigue from your pain and, especially, from your sleepless night.

I found that not working really didn't help me, sorry to say. When I was working, while I might have been more stressed with work-related things, at least I wasn't focused on my health. I think we can think about it too much but what else can we do when we're only with ourselves all the time? It takes herculean effort not to obsess about it.

You really need help sleeping. As my CFS doc said, "If you can't sleep, you can't heal". I hope you'll call your doc tomorrow and get something - or go to a health food store for a supplement. I suspect the stress of your job loss is impacting you more than you think. My heart goes out to you.

Sorry this is so disjointed.

Blessings,
    Marta
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

please,please put some paragraph breaks in your post.

Your post hurts my eyes. I'd love to read it and respond but I cannot.

Thanks,
    Lolalee
  4. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Debbie,

I'm soooooo sorry you had a bad night and that you're feeling so crummy this morning. I woke up with a major migraine but pushed thru it somehow, enough to go on the boards.

I wrote back to you from your post last night. Look up under the posts for (((EARTHDOG)))
    Softest fibro-hugs, Julie

P.S. I'll get back to you in a little while about the Flare question, gotta get some more COFFEE, my life's blood,lol!
  5. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Marta - i didn't think it was disjointed. It made complete sense to me and you may be right about the stressing over the job loss. Unemployment will run out in a couple more months and then I don't know what I'll do.

Ouch - I sort of understand, but could use a little more elaboration/description.

Lolalee - Is this better? Thank you for calling my attention to that. I had never thought of that and I'll try to remember to be more considerate in my future posts.

earthdog - I'll be over to our post in a minute. I'm chugging coffe with my pain meds right now trying to make them work faster.

georgiac - I have that pretty much all of the time, but it just seems like everything has lost complete control today and is only getting worse as the day passes.

Thank you all, can still use more descriptive explanations.

6. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

If I am overly stressed about work, personal situation or such I seem to get sent into a flare faster than normal. My flares are burning, heavy feeling limbs, feet feel like they are made of concrete and have no energy at all. I find sleep helps out a lot and I try not to stress, but life is all about stress and sometimes that cannot be deleted.

TxSongBird
  7. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Debbie,

I'm back, got my coffee now I can use that last brain cell and respond better,lol!

It does sound like you're having a MAJOR FLARE right now! Been in one myself lately too. Hence, the reason I've been on the boards so much the past few days, don't feel like doin much else. That and my family went on a camping trip for 3 days and will be back tonite.

Anywho, when you get into a flare it seems like all of the main symptoms you usually get become increasingly worse. My flares can last at the least 3 days and at the worst 3-4 weeks! The best thing you can do right now is to baby yourself. And I mean do all of the things that you usually do for the symptoms that bother you the most.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for help from your family, they will understand if you tell them how bad you're hurting! Especially your hubby, cause if he knows how bad you feel maybe he will feel better if he knows he's helping you. Unfortunately it is very hard for our loved ones to understand sometimes. If you tell him you REALLY NEED HIM right now hopefully he will respond better!

I take Clonopin to help me sleep and it seems to help on most nights. What kinds of meds are you taking for the pain and to help you sleep? Maybe your doc can prescibe something that will work better!

I have been hearing so many great things about Cymbalta and am waiting for my insurance company to okay it. It's supposed to be an anti-deppresant that also helps with chronic pain.

I hope you feel better so you can enjoy a little bit of the day. What's the weather like where you live? Sometimes an increase or decrease in the temp. can make us feel much worse,you know?

Very softy fibro-hugs to you, Julie
  8. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Thanks so much for the suggestion with the hubby and my needing him right now. That was birlliant. I will certainly try that.

Right now, I take lorcets for pain, flexeril for muscle spasms, and 1 flexeril and 1 0.5 mg xanax just before bed to make my muscles relax while I'm trying to sleep. She offered a sleep med on my last visit but I wanted to try and gt back into the routine without the meds first. Apparently that isn't going to work the way that I had hoped.

I've tried cymbalta. It did help with overall feeling of depression at that time, but discontinued it after I felt better there. I couldn't tell that it really helped my pain any, but I do know that it has helped quite a few people, so I would certainly give it a try.

The weather is about the same as it has been for a couple of weeks. Just hot now, with scattered showers from time to time, but none in the last couple of days.

I replied back on our post. I'm going to lie down now and will check back with you later.
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When I am in a flare my throat feels very sore and the fatigue is worse than ever. I find that I cannot push myself to do anything and all I can do is rest. The pain is worse than ever. It is usually brought on by excess stress and pushing myself and overdoing it. Right now I have my two grandsons ages 7 and 5 for 2 weeks and I am flaring big time because of all the activity and extra responsibility of being a hands-on grandmom.

I think that anytime your symptoms get worse and stay worse for a while that you are in a flare.

My advice would be to baby yourself, let things go (i.e. housework , phone calls, cooking, etc.). Rest,rest,rest and don't worry about anything you have no control over. Try to nourish yourself and sleep or watch movies. Once it passes, don't push yourself trying to make up for lost time.

I pray that this passes quickly. Flares are no fun.

Blessings,

Lolalee