Please Do Not Flush Medication Down the Toilet

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by LittleBluestem, Jan 4, 2010.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I was reading on another board that someone had found a medication unsatisfactory and flushed it down the toilet. That is no longer the recommended way to dispose of medication. That puts it directly into the drinking water supply. Our drinking water is full of drug residue.

Some cities now have drug disposal programs. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if there is one in your area. If not, wrap the medication and put it in the trash that is going to the landfill. It will take it much longer to reach the water supply and some of it may decompose.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I saw on TV a while back about not flushing meds down the toilet and I agree. And some people can end up dumping so much down at one time that it can clog the toilet. Plus that chemicals end up into various water sources and it is causing too much estrogen in fish and thus causing too many fish to turn female, as opposed to male fish.

I am not comfortable with the drug disposal programs in the towns or giving it to doctors and pharmacists. They want the label and original bottle. This can actually set up abuse of our medication and allow someone in their offices to use and even refill that med. And unfortunately some of us have run into abuse at the pharmacy where we have been cheated out of the number of pills on the same med several times and when we complain long and loud, a person at the pharmacy ends up no longer working there and then our prescriptions are fine.

We'd all like to think that abuse never happens, but I would be happier to dump the pills into a clear plastic bag (no bottles or labels) and then see then thrown into some town's type of shredder right there in front of me. But they haven't gotten to that yet.

So for now I empty everything into plastic bags that are tied, then into walmart bags, then tape them well, then into other bags and tape them well, then put them into the regular big black trash bag hoping that no one will get into the pills either going through the dumpster or elsewhere.