please do not give up there is help!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homeskillet19, Dec 11, 2002.

1. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Dear friends,
    it has been awhile since I have posted and to all of my old friends hello again and to the new .....nice to meet you!!!
    I have had the worse luck with doctors and massage therapist over the last year (one of the reasons I havent been on)but oh my gosh I have found some help, in a massage therapist...my main problem is my Myofascial pain and then fibro and the myofascial was getting bad and I was going down agin also I had a bout with the flu that knocked me down and well as Yall know that does not help us!!!
    I have had 4 massage therapist in the last year and well....lets just say they would help me enough that I could function alittle that is if I went twice a week at 70 a visit and as yall know plus our doctors, meds,vitamins and such that just was to much money to come out of my household but I went.
    I decided the last one after about 4 months was doing no better then my massaging chair I finally got 4 months ago so I stopped going and I was giving up hope the massaging chair helped but it didnt get all of me!
    I was sitting here crying one day and I said I am going to find me a massage therapist period!
    So I got on the phoine and called everyone in the book and of course they all said I have never heard of those diseases but I will learn with you, stop....do not go there yes at first they do try, mine have but they are so busy and it is to much for them and then you just get enough to get by so this is what I did.....
    I went to the health food store I get some stuff and asked them if I could post a sign and then I went around to all of the places that have a bulletin board and I put up flyers that went like this...
    Wanted(Big red letters) a massage therapist that knows about myofascial Pain Syndrome/fibromyalgia, one that is willing to work hard and help me get out of this pain please call -------- I want to get better but I desperately need help if you are the one please call!!!!
    It took about a month and some calls but it didnt feel right , I dont mind helping those that want to learn but not at this time I needed someone that knows what they are doing and I was not going to settle for less....then she called and I have seen her twice for the last two weeks and she has done more for me then those have in the last year!!
    but I do have to admit that after the first visit I was feeling so good that I did a classic thing we all do I went crazy that weekend I did things I havent done in months and come tuesday when I went to go see her she of course went now you know you are not suppose to do those things yet and I put my head down and said yes ma'am and then she said those magical words...We will get you back but you have to heal first..NOT, you know if you dont get up you will never get better or the dreaded.... you are just being lazy,
    No she said ...This is your time to heal then and only then will we go on to the exercises, I cried I was so happy so that day she rubbed me, yanked me and no matter how much I cried she got into those trigger points with agression and here I sit here today feeling great that I for once took a bold stand for myself, dont give up if the normal thing is not working then be agressive try different things and please I am saying please dont settle for second best!!!!!
    Out of all the things I do massage therapy and drinking water and my vitamins help me the most , so I make sure I am getting the best of those things!!!!!
    thank you for letting me share this with you!!!!!
    God bless you and your families this blessed time of the year!!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  2. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Dear friends,
    it has been awhile since I have posted and to all of my old friends hello again and to the new .....nice to meet you!!!
    I have had the worse luck with doctors and massage therapist over the last year (one of the reasons I havent been on)but oh my gosh I have found some help, in a massage therapist...my main problem is my Myofascial pain and then fibro and the myofascial was getting bad and I was going down agin also I had a bout with the flu that knocked me down and well as Yall know that does not help us!!!
    I have had 4 massage therapist in the last year and well....lets just say they would help me enough that I could function alittle that is if I went twice a week at 70 a visit and as yall know plus our doctors, meds,vitamins and such that just was to much money to come out of my household but I went.
    I decided the last one after about 4 months was doing no better then my massaging chair I finally got 4 months ago so I stopped going and I was giving up hope the massaging chair helped but it didnt get all of me!
    I was sitting here crying one day and I said I am going to find me a massage therapist period!
    So I got on the phoine and called everyone in the book and of course they all said I have never heard of those diseases but I will learn with you, stop....do not go there yes at first they do try, mine have but they are so busy and it is to much for them and then you just get enough to get by so this is what I did.....
    I went to the health food store I get some stuff and asked them if I could post a sign and then I went around to all of the places that have a bulletin board and I put up flyers that went like this...
    Wanted(Big red letters) a massage therapist that knows about myofascial Pain Syndrome/fibromyalgia, one that is willing to work hard and help me get out of this pain please call -------- I want to get better but I desperately need help if you are the one please call!!!!
    It took about a month and some calls but it didnt feel right , I dont mind helping those that want to learn but not at this time I needed someone that knows what they are doing and I was not going to settle for less....then she called and I have seen her twice for the last two weeks and she has done more for me then those have in the last year!!
    but I do have to admit that after the first visit I was feeling so good that I did a classic thing we all do I went crazy that weekend I did things I havent done in months and come tuesday when I went to go see her she of course went now you know you are not suppose to do those things yet and I put my head down and said yes ma'am and then she said those magical words...We will get you back but you have to heal first..NOT, you know if you dont get up you will never get better or the dreaded.... you are just being lazy,
    No she said ...This is your time to heal then and only then will we go on to the exercises, I cried I was so happy so that day she rubbed me, yanked me and no matter how much I cried she got into those trigger points with agression and here I sit here today feeling great that I for once took a bold stand for myself, dont give up if the normal thing is not working then be agressive try different things and please I am saying please dont settle for second best!!!!!
    Out of all the things I do massage therapy and drinking water and my vitamins help me the most , so I make sure I am getting the best of those things!!!!!
    thank you for letting me share this with you!!!!!
    God bless you and your families this blessed time of the year!!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  3. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Omg it is great hearing your voice I have missed Yall so much!!!!!
    Please dont deprive yourself any longer get one done , when you have the right person it is great!!!!!!
    Thank you for your kind words!!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  4. I have been considering massage myself or accupunture. I am glad you are feeling better!!! Its so good to hear a good story for a change!
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had won a massage at a local health food store before I knew I had FMS. The masseuse gave me a very deep massage, and it took me over a week to recover! A few months later I was diagnosed with FMS and I realized what had happened. Please, please, please don't have a massage by someone who doesn't know about FMS! They have to be trained to know exactly how deep to massage you.

Annette2
  6. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Well I guess that could be considered a masage which kind I dont have the foggiest idea , but hey if you are like me any movement there is better then none at allLOL
    Well like I said I was going to them and it was cost 70 a visit and I was going twice a week, BUT if you find the right one like I have finally done once a week is good then after awhile you will just go twice a month then once a month it all depends on you therapists work and how much you listen to them and do as they say hence: my first massage with phyllis I didnt do what she said that weekend so I was hurting come that tuesday I went to her.
    I forgot to say in my post that the one I have know was trained by Irene my first massage therapist that had me doing cart wheels in a months time 10 years ago (she left me and had to move north with her military hubby)I went to her twice a week then after that month I went once a week then after a month it was twice a month then it was just once a month, then it got to the point just every so often......It is exspensive at first because to get the benefits you need you have to go twice a week but check with your insurance most will cover it if the massage therapist works out of a physical therapist office, my bad luck is we have none that do in town and honestly now that I have found phyllis well....they can eat hot dogs and beans for awhile(they take there vitamins everydayLOL) and maybe a few night of just ramen noodles and maybe no movies for a few so that I can get better, my kids actually said they wont go out until I get to feeling better....they are so sweet!LOL
    but on a average it is 65.00 a visit for a hour session.
    Well I hope you look into it, it does wonders for me!!!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  7. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

You are so right, like I have said I have been going to massage therapist for 10 years and well with me going to deep is not a problem but it can be with others, my myofascial is the worse on me the fibro is secondary and the only way to get out my myofascial is being aggressive but everybody is different and you are right about that!
    the one I have know well she will put tears in my eyes but she has in two visits gotten my legs to feel soft and not hard as a rock but like I said she knows what she is talking about and that is the main objective the others I had didnt hurt me well.....they just didnt help me, they were scared to get into those trigger points.
    Also get one that will listen to you and work with you, you two should be partners in your quest of getting you healed!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  8. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

I just read your profile...hon we got alot in common!!!!!
    What a handsom young man you have there and 6 foot at 14 omg yes they grow them big in the southLOL
    I was thinking maybe that is why I am not feeling that well over the last few months heck with the family dynamics and the MPS/FIBRO it is the depression that lingers of us once again not making it to the world series!!!!!!!LOL
    your friend,
    Denise
  9. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

thank you for the response!!!!
    Please check into it, it has helped me through the years but ask alot of questions get someone knwledgeable about your disease and dont settle for second best, like I did!!!!!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  10. tamara!

tamara! New Member

Thank you it was very encouraging. I've been a little depressed so I needed to here that.
    THANX!
    TAMARA!
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You reminded me how wonderful a good massage can be! I used to get them weekly for a while, and besides all the other benefits, it relaxed me so much---did wonders for my stress & anxiety level with this DD. Haven't had one since I moved to another state 8 months ago, but you talking about it makes me want to look for another good massage therapist. Thanks---oh, I've also been really conscious about drinking huge amounts of water & I agree, it does help!!

Thanks,
    Pam
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome back. I'm glad you are finding help with the massage.

Love, Mikie
  13. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Dear Tamara,
    Hi.......I am so glad to be at your serviceLOL
    I have had MPS/FIBRO for 13 years and I still an surprised and excited about al of the things we can learn we think we have to live this way and then we find something new that helps us get closer to getting back to normal(well as normal as I could beLOL) so hang in there and who knows, the next best thing might be right around the corner!
    thank you for your response!!!!!!!!!
    your friend,
    Denise

Dear Pam,
    Hi......there is nothing better then a good massage it relaxes you, it gets your blood flowing and the oxygen just shoots right in!!!!!!!!!!!
    Treat yourself and get you a massage for the holidays, you wont regret it!!!!!!!!!!
    your friend,
    Denise

Dear Mikie,
    Hi and thank you for the warm welcome, it put a great big smile on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have missed Yall and I am glad to be back!!!!!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
    thank you for your response!!!!!!!!
  14. kay

kay New Member

A MASSAGE does feel. I would love to have one right now. I love the deep tissue massages. Haven't had one for a while, and I am well over due!!!