Please for those of us with CFS, please read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Jul 14, 2006.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Don't just 'assume' you are having a bad week, month, whatever. And, as another poster was told, don't just assume you are depressed!!

I thought the same thing a few weeks ago, and had it not been for the surgery I just had, I would have never known that I was severely anemic!

I knew my diet wasn't that great. I splurged on sugary things, and tried to eat protein, but didn't have that great of an appetite for much of anything.

When I started to feel exhasuted, sleeping longer, taking longer and more frequent naps, I just figured it was the CFS or the depression over the upcoming surgery.

SO WRONG! My hemoglobin was 3!! It should have been, at the least, 11!! I had to have 2 units of blood transfused into me in the hosptial.

Just a little note for all of us to remember to look at the BIG picture of our entire body. Thanks! PG
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's always a good reminder that we should not just pass all of our symptoms off as being CFS or fibro.

I'm glad to hear that you made it through your ordeal at the hospital. Your hemoglobin was dangerously low, so it's a good thing they caught it. Do they think it was as a result of blood loss from the surgery? That's always a possibility. I know after I had my breast reduction my hemoglobin was low. It was borderline and they were considering transfusion, but they waited to see if it would come up. Thankfully, my levels came up and I escaped transfusion.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing with us.

Gentle hugs,
    KIm
  3. TAM

TAM New Member

GOOD ADVICE, THANKS!
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

this is a good post because I think we are pushed away from asking for help from Drs we ourselves over look other health problems.

Thank you for reminding us that CFS/ FM can look like other DD's
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I read an article/book/something about the emergency room once. The message was, a complete exam must be done. Just because the patient has a knife wound to the calf doesn't rule out everything else. Might be a bullet hole in the back.

He needs to be turned over and examined for other injuries.

I went into a psych ward once. Kept telling the doctors I had pain in the right lower quadrant, and it must be appendecitis. They kept telling it me it wasn't.

So I ended up w/ peritonitis.

As somebody said in another context, "Eternal vigilence is the price of liberty."