Please give advice NECK killing me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by survivalmode, Aug 31, 2006.

1. survivalmode

survivalmode New Member

Hi ~

I never have time to post here, but I am having a MAJOR problem with my neck right now. It feels like there is a nail sticking between two vertebrae in my neck. I am so disenchanted with doctors right now that I am not even going to bother calling mine to ask what to do. And I have so many meds here to use "as needed" - that I don't know what to take. It is a pain like an injury not like an ache. I keep picturing the cartoon thumb that got hit with a hammer - red and throbbing pain. I have laid on the floor to try to stretch it - I have tried muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories - I have done the hot cold hot cold treatment - I have tried having my hubbie rub it gently. The only thing that touches it is Fioricet, which I have for headaches - but the pain comes through after 2 hours. Anyone have any advice for me? I have a VERY FULL weekend planned that I can't get out of and I am dying here.

I am probably missing the glaringly obvious, but I can't think with this pain in my neck!

Biggest hugs to all of you ~ and a grateful thanks to anyone who can give their 2 cents.

Sandy
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Sandy,
    So sorry to hear of the hard time you are having. I too, have neck pain, and this is what I've done:

I went to a neurologist who diagnosed spinal stenosis. However, I didn't like him enough to go back. He didn't suggest a treatment.

I found a good Chiropractor, who did a scan, as well as Xrays. He then did very gentle adjustments with the "gun" type thing - I don't know what it's called. He told me that my vertebrae were deteriorated and I also had some arthritis in my neck. (I have both Osteo and Rheuymatoid Arthritis).

For treatment, I sometimes go to the Chiro, but he costs more than the Acupuncturist, so I usually use Acupuncture.

Hope this helps. Good luck,

Peace,
    Terry
  3. survivalmode

survivalmode New Member

4. Tawra

Tawra New Member

I went to a chiropractor and it changed my life!! I never knew how much pain I was in until I wasn't in pain anymore.

Tawra
  5. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I HAVE NECK PAIN ALSO
    IT WILL GET SO BAD I CAN'T TURN MY HEAD
    I HAD AN MRI DONE A FEW MONTHS BACK AND IT SHOWED THAT I HAVE DDD,ARTHOR HERNIATED DISC IN 5 & 6 AND MY TOP TWO ARE FUSED TOGETHER.
    THE HERNIATED DISC ARE NOT BAD ENOUGH FOR SURGERY THEY SAY
    SO MY DOCTOR AJUSTS MY NECK AND BACK EVERY TWO WEEKS THIS HAS HELPED MORE THAT GETTING THE INJECTIONS
    PLEASE EXCUSE THE SPELLING
    GOOD LUCK
    BARB
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My neck is a major problem for me and I started with a bad flare back in April and it will not let up. It has gotten somewhat better and I can actually now lift my head in the mornings instead of having to drag myself up by my hair(really!!!)

I hate the neck pain. I am currently on 1mg valium which relaxes the muscles. I take it about 30mins prior to bedtime. I also wear a soft collar to sleep in only. If I cannot settle I take another 1mg valium an hour later.

I also find tiger balm pretty good and epsom salt baths.

The pain is not as bad but like a parrot on the pirate, always there nagging away.

Love Anne
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

My neck pain is resolved by my chiropractor. For me it's caused by ongoing tension.

This is probably worth a penny - or less if you're not comfortable with chiropractic.

Oh, I just had another thought. Lie down on your bed, a pillow under your knees for comfort, no pillow under your head. Put your hands behind your head and massage (by pushing up with your fingers) the side back of your head just before it goes into your neck. I bet it's very sore there. Massage anyway until the pain is relieved, then sit up, move your shoulders forward and back in circles and VERY gently move your head from side to side.

Hope this helps. Then fill out your profile. ;>)

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  8. survivalmode

survivalmode New Member

Can't wait to try all these suggestions. Thanks for your caring and your advice. I took time to update profile - thanks for suggesting it Marta.

Hugs ~
    Sandy
  9. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I feel for anyone that has neck pain- It makes you miserable when you can't move your neck and you have neck spasms- I have found the chiro has helped but it is like I stop a week and have to go back and I can't afford that. So I have been using this bio-freeze on my neck and shoulder it seems to help along with the Muscle Relaxers, I take Flexeril- and Xanax somewhat. I know I will need to get back to the Chiro soon

I don't want to go to a Neuro- I have not heard alot of good things, not on this site but others...

Be Well- hope you can get some relief - Tension and stress can do alot!!!!
    Janet
  10. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Australian Eucalyptis oil! Its the best! Especially with nerve pain. Had a paratoidectomy a couple years ago. They cut from top of my ear, around the back of it to lobe, down my neck and around the front. After the wound healed I could not take enough pain meds to put a dent in the pain. My Sister bought me some Assie eucalyptis oil and it was the bomb! I still use it. My nerves act up, 3 yrs later, when the temp changes and if the wind blows on it. No worry, this oil does it with no side effects.
  11. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

what fixed my neck was traction performed by a physical therapist.
  12. kbak

kbak Member

I use to have terrible neck pain. I suffered with it for a very long time.

I really couldn't find anything that relieved it. Lo and behold, I switched to a non down pillow. I had been sleeping on a down pillow for yrs. When as a last resort I changed pillows, my neck pain went away.

Now this simple solution may not solve anyone elses problem, but somtimes it's the simple things you never think about that correct the problem.

kbak
  13. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

I really aquired a lot of information. My neck occasionally stiffens but my back hurts so much and always feels like it is out of place. The only thing I can think of because I cannot afford a chiro is to get my exercise ball out and stretch with it. I start slow and then stretch further & further. I really wish I had insurance right now. I will try the Australian Eucalyptis oil. Thank you all for caring enough to help others. We are all in this together and just having others who understand without doubt is the most comfort that I have had in a while.

Thanks Again!

Jane
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

survivalmode:

Why not try a rheumatologist who can possiby help you.
    Why suffer, you may need meds.

I would not take all of this by lying down.

It might be time for action!!!

nyrofan
  15. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hi. Are you by any chance a Laura Nyro fan?
  16. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I had been seeing a muscle therpist and a chiropractor for several years and I started getting some new type of neck pain which wasn't going away. I ended up having an MRI and I had to see a neurosurgeon. My spinal fluid was completely dammed up in the neck area and the surgeon said I would be paralyzed within 3-6 months if I didn't have spinal surgery. Well, of course I had no choice. I had two bad discs and bone spurs that were pressing on the spinal cord. When it comes to neck pain which you think is severe I would not mess around. I started to have numbing in my fingers which was one of the symptoms that something was wrong. I would recommend getting some xrays and see what you are dealing with. I sure hope you can get some relief from the pain. I will be thinking of you and I will say a prayer for you.

Nancy
  17. joanng

joanng New Member

I have 3 herniated disks in my neck and the pain is deep, achy pain. I can't go to the chriro anymore according to my dr so I use Lidoderm patches....they help a lot.
  18. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

I use a memory foam matress and memory foam pillow and they help me greatly.

I use Tempur make and they have a special pillow that I think is called millenium.

it is a really strange shape but slots under your shoulders and is a lot better that the traditional neck pillows. You can find it at this link

www.tempur.com

it the best money I ever spent, that together with the matress helps me get through life, I sleep almost well, and we all know how hard that is for us.
  19. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member