Please give advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Nov 4, 2002.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I am 40 years old and had the shingles 7 years ago on the left side of head since that time I have had pain on the left side of my body from the top of my head to my toes, problems concentrating, extreme tiredness and brain fog. I have all the tender spots for fibromyalgia but only on the left side. My question is can you have fibromyalgia just on the left side of your body and will quaifenesin help if the illness was caused by a virus? I have tried everything from medication (too many side effects to take) and nerve blocks that only gave temporary relief. Thanks VickyB
  2. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I am 40 years old and had the shingles 7 years ago on the left side of head since that time I have had pain on the left side of my body from the top of my head to my toes, problems concentrating, extreme tiredness and brain fog. I have all the tender spots for fibromyalgia but only on the left side. My question is can you have fibromyalgia just on the left side of your body and will quaifenesin help if the illness was caused by a virus? I have tried everything from medication (too many side effects to take) and nerve blocks that only gave temporary relief. Thanks VickyB
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

According to the American Rheumatological Society, the tender spots must be in all four quadrants; however, this is strictly an arbitrary diagnosing tool. I never had any tender spots for years and now I have almost all 18 and then some. We are all different. The Guai will not hurt you and is certainly worth a try if you are willing to do the protocol.

Our FMS can be triggered by viruses, stress, trauma, bacteria, childbirth; you name it, it can trigger FMS. The Guai efficacy is not dependent on what triggered your illness, so give it a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Be sure to buy the book, totally understand the theory and protocol, and eliminate all salicylates before starting the treatment. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Did you mean that when you first had fibromyalgia it started out with fewer tender spots than what you have now?And do you have some spots that are not tender unless you press on them because I have tender spots on the right side but only if you press on them (they do not hurt if you don't press on them- they look and feel like knots)Have you tried guaifenesin and if so did it help? If not, what have you tried in the past that helps. Thanks VickyB
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2002]
  5. little

little Member

I was diagnosed four years ago with Right-Sided Fibromyalgia Regional. The doctor said that it was rare. Most all of the servere pain is on the right side. I think that it happened when I fell off a stool at home. Thirty years ago. My right neck hit the table and I saw stars. My right elbow was cracked and my right hip was brused. I went to the ER and had x-rays of the elbow. They weren't interested in anything esle. Not even my neck. I have told the doctors all through the years about the fall and they said that it had nothing to do with the pain on the right side. Until, I went to the pain clinic, the doctor listen to me. I told her that I might have FM. She did all the tender points. Sure enough most of them were very sore on the right side. I don't take any perscription drugs because I can't tolerate the side effects.
  6. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

I know that on my bad and good days, I have all of them, the pain just is worse on my bad days
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Tender spots are mapped by pressing on the spot with enough pressure to turn the fingers of the person probing for tender spots white. Tender spots often don't hurt at all and we may be unaware of them until we hit them against something.

I had NO tender spots for years. I know because I was doing self massage to maintain muscle tone. We are all different but the medical community isn't comfortable with ambiguity.

Love, Mikie
  8. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I have been diagnosed with Post herpetic neuralgia from the shingles but I don't understand how the neuralgia can continue down the whole side of my body-that is why I have been curious that maybe I have fibromyalgia instead because I have the exact same tender spots. Thanks for your help. VickyB
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had pneumonia, then pleurisy, then got bronchitis. After this is when the Fibro pain started, ONLY in the upper back, the four tender points only. Then a few years later it started in the chest, and throughout the twenty years I have been diagnosed, I probably have all eighteen now! But the worst are still those in the upper back and shoulders, and my chest. Although the others will 'kick' in sometimes.

Like you, I tried the prescription meds, but my body simply won't tolerate them.

I take only supplements, except for a low dose of Xanax at six pm to quiet my 'racing' brain, so that my supplements can work and will allow me to get some very deep sleep.

I have never tried the Guri, but Mike is our expert on it these days! I doubt if I could follow the protocol for Guri myself.

If you want to try the Guri, getting Dr. St. Amand book; 'What your Doctor may NOT tell you about Fibromyalgia' is a must.

I am doing better than I have in years on supplements, even sleeping for 7-8 hours a night now, thanks to 'ZMA'(zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6). So I would not try anything else right now as long as I am doing so well. Yes, I have pain, but its not spasms or excruciating anymore.

My life is almost normal, as long as I am careful what I do, and I make a big point of having a nap everyday even if I don't sleep.

I had one big throwback in a year, and it was caused by spider bits. I lost so much weight I look like a stringbean right now! But fortunately, I did not go into a flare from it. That was amazing, as most shocks to our systems, or stress (which this caused both) will bring on a flare.

You will have to make the decision which way you want to go, Guri does not mix with a lot of supplements, and other things. Mikie is great at explaining all of the ins and outs of it. She has been doing wonderful on it herself.

HOpe this has been some help to you, any more questions you have, just ask.

Shalom, Shirl