Please Help - Anyone have this feeling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Feb 16, 2011.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

I'm not sure what happened to me this morning, but it was frightening to say the least. here goes.

I was driving home from taking my son to school. All of a sudden a strange feeling came over me, my vision was off and was like I was in a fish bowl of sorts, my head felt detached and 'floaty', may arms, legs, and trunk, while I still had control of them, felt 'light' and detached also. Not, detached in the sense of not being on my body, but not being of this world or present in time. I was scared to change lanes b/c my two giant dogs were in the back of the car and I was scared to turn my head for some reason, so I just continued my drive home. I was very off balance when I got out of the car and while walking the dogs into the apartment. Everything was normal, but felt surreal and fake. I laid down in bed and realized my vision was still off and I was seeing parts of the ceiling move. I quickly took off my glasses and covered my head with a pillow to block out the light. At that time all of the muscles in my body felt as if they had been tensed and were just beginning to loosen up and they hurt with a burning and aching pain. When I woke up about 2 hours later I had the headache I have had for 15 years but have recently been able to get rid of again and my muscles, although relaxed still hurt and I felt like I had been beat.

Now, I have had a history of siezures, but I haven't had one since I was pregnant over 8 years ago, and this wasn't like any of the siezures I have had. Has anyone experienced this?
  2. msmelharmon

msmelharmon New Member

Hi Kat,

Yes, I've had that feeling before. It's very disconcerting, isn't it? Everything seems off-kilter and your awareness is dimmed, although you can still function. Very odd. When it happens to me, it's followed by a vertigo feeling when i try to walk/lie down and then a headache comes on. I don't know if it's specific to FM or if it's related to something else. I was diagnosed with FM a year ago and am currently undergoing tests for possible Sjogrens and Lupus. But regardless, yes, I have had this feeling. You're not alone. I hope that at least helps.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I used to have bad crashes w horrible weakness, faintness, spaciness when I was taking Norco everyday. I was just thinking about this today, it's been a yr since I've been off the narcs and I no longer have this happen. It was really scary...
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I had something similar when I was driving some decades ago. For a second
    or two, I felt disconnected from my body. Couldn't steer; couldn't move.

I wondered if I was dying. Later a friend suggested it was a mini stroke or
    transient ischemic attack.

You can read about TIAs here:

Never had another of these strange experiences. Have not had a stroke either.

5. kat211

kat211 New Member

I sent my fibro Dr an email right before I posted this yesterday. She didn't get it until 8 last night bc she was out of the office, but she called me right away. She said if it happens again to call 911. I'm supposed to call my PCP today to see if she can get me in for a neuro work up today. Geez, my health just keeps taking these weird turns. I was really looking forward to today bc I final have a day with nothing on my calendar and I was going some new shoes. Seriously, my goal was to get some new keen clogs bc I have a GI procedure tomorrow that I have to be drugged up for and I lost my old pair to the mold house.

I know it sounds like I'm minimizing this, and I am, in a way. With everything going on with me I see no reason to get excited about things. My body can only take so much. Maybe I've hit my limit and I'm short circuiting?

I'll let yall know what the Dr says. Here's to hoping its nothing!
  6. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

Kat, I dont know if you remember but I wrote a post not too long ago about toxic mold and the symptoms are exactly what you described, except what i was feeling has been a chronic thing, and has NOT gone away..... it's definitely gotten better to some degree, but i'm still dealing with this scary feeling and i'm just learning to deal with it but I used to wake up crying every day because I couldn't believe I wasn't feeling better! Please let me know what happens and if you get any input from any of your doctors or PCP..... i would love to hear another opinion.

Best wishes,