Please help Anyone know anything about Parkinson's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, Apr 11, 2006.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

I am freaking out right now. We took my mother-in-law to the neurologist for an MRI today. I've never seen him. He was concentrating more on me afterwards. He said he thinks I have parkinson's disease. So I have to go to see him in a couple of weeks. My question is this. Are the symptoms of CFS and FM somewhat like parkinson's. I looked on the internet and my hubby said WOW alot of it sounds just like you. Please somebody give me your input.
    Thanks,
    Carol
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to date a man who had Parkinson's. Like our illnesses, it is very difficult to diagnose. One thing you can do is to take your handwriting now, perhaps your signature, and compare the size of your handwriting to the size it was three years ago. If it is significantly smaller today, it could indicate Parkinsons. This is by no means 100 percent accurate but then, in the beginning, nothing much is. This is sometimes what docs use when none of their test are definitive.

With Parkinson's Disease, there isn't enough dopamine being produced by the brain. L-Dopa can be supplemented but that doesn't work forever. It can be sufficient for years, however; everyone is different. If L-Dopa is no longer effective, there are other options, including surgery. With many, progress of the illness is very slow.

As with our illnesses, there can be insomnia, anxiety, cognitive problems, and physical limitations. Parkinsons is more prevalent in males.

Please try not to worry. It may not turn out to be Parkinson's. If it is, the doc can get you started on a treatment plan. Progress is being made all the time with Parkinson's. Good luck to you and God bless you. I'll keep you in my prayers. Please let us know how this turns out.

Love, Mikie
  3. cookstove

cookstove New Member

That is a great one Mikie and I had never heard of it, even though my first diagnosis possibilities were MS or Parkenson's. I have noticed a big change in my handwriting. I am going to do that now and tuck it away--even at this late date.

cookstove
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

There is a Parkinson message board here....click on to tab that says message boards (I think that is right) and you will find a list of message boards, like this one, that you can go to.

I guess this one jsy restarted so it does not begin to have the acivity that this one does.

My mother had Parkinson's and she was mis-diagnoised for many yrs. before she got this DX. It is hard to diagnoise, I am surprised that this Dr. did it (said Parkinson's) right away.

So I would not claim it yet....Good Luck.......Susan
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

that may help as well...my aunt has it and i have known another man that has it...once he got put on some medication it really helped his movements to slow down.

jodie
  6. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

MY RHEUMATOLOGIST HAD ME TESTED BY NUEROLOGIST FOR THAT AND MS BECAUSE HE SAID FIBROMYALGIA AND CHRONIC FATIGUE CAN MIMC THOSE SYMPTOMS. YOU CAN LOOK UP PARKINSONS ON THE ENTERNET, IT WILL TELL YOU THE SYMPTOMS. I TRY NOT TO WORRY A HEAD OF TIME, WAIT TILL YOU KNOW FOR SURE, BUT IT DOES NOT HURT TO RESEARCH IT, TO HELP YOU KNOW MORE.