Please help, anyone try LYRICA for pain and does it work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spudzy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. spudzy

spudzy New Member

I have FM and one of my neighbors just told me her friend was dx with FM and an out of town doctor put him on Lyrica for the pain...when I looked this up on the internet it did not mention using this for FM...just mainly diabiets and shingles...it was to help with nerve pain which FM is not really nerve pain....our pain is like we have the flu all the time...please let me know..thanks
  2. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

My doctor offered it to me too, for Fibro and my Restless Leg thing. I denied. I didnt think it was for Fibro either, and he was my GP so I didnt trust him to put me on that. Love to know if anyone else is on it. Pattie
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

Had a Rheumatologist say it was very good for FM, but is a controlled substance here in VA, so not easily prescribed.

Never tried it myself.

K.
  4. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

Lyrica, although I've never personally tried it, is suppose to work in the same way as Neurontin - only better and with less side effects.

My doctor asked me if I wanted to try it instead of Neurontin, but I said, "No Thanks". I've been on Neurontin about 2 years for both reoccurant shingles and FMS and it's worked well for both.

I thought at one time that I was sick of taking so much medicane, so I got off it for a couple of months. THAT'S when I learned how well it worked for my FM pain also. I got right back on it and have been ever since.

BUT, taking JUST that for pain - no way. I think of it more as a "booster" and feel sorry for your friend.

Type "Lyrica" in the search box, you should get a lot more infor on it.
  5. jaguarsky

jaguarsky New Member

Hi Spudzy,

My rheumatologist had heard about the Lyrica at a conference she attended and asked me if I wanted to try it. I already take cymbalta, tramadol and flexeril, but I was still having a lot of pain. So, I said, why not?

I have had pretty good results with the drug. No weight gain, and my head is clearer in the morning, and my IBS is markedly better. The morning pain is better but the afternoon pain is still almost as bad, and no real change in the fatigue. If it will keep my head clear in the morning and help the IBS I am willing to keep taking it, as I have had none of the troubling side effects that some others have had, except dry mouth, but that's why God made chewing gum.

I would say to give it a try if the price is not a problem. Just be aware that there may be side effects, ask your Dr, and search the web.

KatS
  6. DellaMae

DellaMae New Member

I take Norco and Tramadol for pain. Doc wants me to try the Lyrica since I have spasms up and down my spine area that are extreme pain. I also take Cymbalta for depression, Lorezapam for anxiety/panic attacks, 3 blood pressure meds (Lisinopril-Norvasc-Hydroclorathiazide), Temezapam for sleep each night, Promethazine suppositories for nausea, and protonix for acid reflux.
    I said I would like to try it and he's planning to give me samples to see if my body will react to help with the spasmic pains.

Hugggs, Prayers, and Love to all!!!

DellaMae
  7. redtex

redtex New Member

replace neurontin because it is now generic. the big drug companies can't make money from generic drugs so they change the current drug just enough to continue marketing an expensive drug . some people say lyrica works better for them than neurontin,others say the opposite.to say that fibro is not about nerves is not accurate. everyone with unexplained long term ,wide spead pain, gets the label of fibromyalgia. different people have different sets of symptoms yet are given the same label. it is not a disease but a syndrome. hope you can find some relief. there are lots of posts about both of these drugs just type in the name in the search box.
  8. tngirl

tngirl New Member

There has been at least one major study on the effectiveness of using Lyrica for fibromyalgia. Sorry I can't tell you who did it. I researched it before I began taking it.

It takes a while to build up the medication in your system. I started out at 50 mg. 3 times a day and worked up to 100 mg. three times daily.

It did help with my pain, and I seemed to have more stamina. I had some other side effects and had to discontinue it.

All drugs have possible side effects, I try to weigh the pros and cons. I did gain about 5 pounds.

I don't believe there are any drugs which are specifically for Fibro. It's just that other meds can also help fibro.
  9. Cindi

Cindi New Member

My doctor gave me a coupon for a FREE trial for 1 week! I've been on it for 2 days - 75 mgs twice a day. I have to say I'm VERY sleepy! It may just be my body adjusting to it. I stopped taking my Darvocet (which never worked anyway) when I started the Lyrica, so this could be a factor, too.

I have severe burning pain in my hands, feet, arms, back, etc. It only takes a day or two to see results. I am already noticing that my pain isn't as severe as it was. I hope that this continues!

~Cindi~
  10. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I am sleeping like a baby at night!!!!!

~Cindi~