Please HELP Best cold remedy Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by opticaltech, Sep 28, 2006.

1. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

I have HBP and cant take the usual nyquil and the good stuff like that.......Plus I am soooo sick almost for a week......HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Im scared to try anything because of this DD.....Anyone have success with old fashioned stuff?.L.
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I use a Vicks inhaler and put Vicks gel under my nose and on my nose when it starts to get sore. I use that and cough drops.

Chicken soup is always good. Especially if you can get someone else to make homemade for you!

My son-in-law swears by orgeno oil. I don't know how he can stand it!

Clove oil or peppermint oil on your forhead might help some, too.

Wish you wellness!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

This is the worst Ive been..I have had this DD going on a year and this is the first cold I have had...This is NO fun at all......Thanks for all the help.......Peace L.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Wellness Herbal Resistance Liquid by Source Naturals is a very good combination of herbs which is rather powerful against various bugs. It's available in most health food stores. When I take it, I usually take twice the recommended dose for a few days and then go down to the recommended dose.

Alph CF is a good homeopathic cold and flu remedy. It should be totally safe with your HBP, and it is available in most health food stores as well.

And you can try the usual - extra vitamin C, garlic, zinc lozenges can help as well. My doctor told me also to dose up on vitamin A at the first sign of being sick. He said it was very important that the vitamin A was from fish oil, not beta carotene. It's okay to take up to 30,000 IU a day while you're sick. Of course you would not take this much on a regular basis because it can be toxic over time, but it's okay while you're sick.

I hope you get better soon --

Mary
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Highly Recommended:

ProBoost, 3 packets a day.

Also Recommended:

Vitamin C, as much as you can tolerate without getting diarrhea. (Up to 10,000 mg or more)

Goldenseal

These recommendations are somewhat controversial. Many people say they are very effective. Some people say they are risky. Please research thoroughly and/or talk to your doctor if pursuing.

This is especially the case if you already are taking prescription medications.

These are only suggestions, not recommendations. They are described in detail in very popular nutritional books written by M.D.'s (e.g. Balch, Golan, Teitelbaum), but this does not mean that these doctors take responsibility for your taking these substances since they do not know your history.

I am sorry that I do not have the energy to give more information about these products. It is easily found on the Web, however.
  6. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

Soooo much of this is going around everywhere. I don't know were you live but, my Mother and my Father have a Cold, (they live in Massachusettes). My friend Joe and my cousin Louie, whom also live up in Mass., but not very close to each other, they both are suffering with the flu and broncitis. Everyone is just starting to feel better after being so sick for over a month.

Everyone on the board has great suggestions and I, being of the Jewish faith, there is nothing like a nice, delicious, streaming bowl of Chicken Soup. If you do eat chicken soup, stay away from the noodles and/or Matoz Ball, a jewish thing, only because they consist of starch and you don't want to each any starches for atleast the first 4 days. Starches will only give you more phlem (sp) to cough up and if you are already congested with phlem (sp), you dont want anymore.

When coughing try to get the congestion up and out, but don't cough to hard. I say this because last year, when I came down with phnomonia, (sp) I was coughing so hard, that I actually fractured 4 ribs in the right side of my back and 3 ribs in the left side of my back. Also, when blowing your nose, easy does it, you can break blood vessles like I did. I suffered like this for 6 months, (terrible) and parts of the illness lingered on for about 3 more months.

Mind you, I live in Florida by myself, no Family --- no friends. Oh, 2 friends only when they want and need something, they call all niceee, niceee. No more, I have nothing to give.

If you or someone close to you are not able to make the soup, do you have a Deli Rest. around your home. They make nice soup. If not, there's alway Progesso, which is very good also. Dry toast and orange juice, (plenty of fluids...as much as you can). Jello and crackers. Rest, of course. Bundle yourself up to keep warm.

As far as medications or supplements, I would call or go see your Pharmasist (sp). They would be your best bet for over the counter. If they do not know of your medications and/or supplement you take, make a list and tell them. Ask for their help. Most of them are very good with things like this, especially with HBP. My bother has HBP and she needs to be very careful when taking OTC medication. She always asked the Pharmysist. (sp) You can try these over the counter things for a couple of days and if there is no improvement or you get worse, please see you Primary doctor. You might need prescription cough medicine and antibiotics. If you are running a fever of more than 100, I would strongly suggest you get to your Primary doctor for care.

Just a suggestion: When I want to know about something in the medical field, the first place I go to on the Internet is:

WebMD Better Information Better Health.

I feel this is an excellant sourse of medical information.

Eileen

p.s. Sorry for so long...got carried away.[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

A 8 ounce class of hot water 2 shots gin and 2 tlbs honey.Drink right before bed and you should feel pretty good the next morning.

Heres another my Mem use to do when I was little.She would take 2 cups of a very sweet red wine (I do not know what kind)bring it to a very high boil for a minute.

She would then pour it into a cup and have me drink it as hot as I could stand it.Went to bed next morning no cold.
    Don't know why this worked but it did.

Take care
    Sue
    REST REST REST
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

the zinc in them are supposed to work or zicam not sure if i spelled it right charlene
  9. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Sambucol Elderberry Extract - Nature's Way Brand. Can take 1 tablespoon a day for preventative measures, too. However, it's best to take at the onset of a cold, but will help with recovery. Product available at Vitamin Shoppe stores.

CherylSue
  10. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I can't help once the cold is here but, if I feel like I am getting sick, I take 3000 mg. of vitiman C and 3 echenacia pills. Then I go straight to bed and sleep as long as I can. It seems to work for my family about 90% of the time. If this works for anyone else, let everyone know. Its a great cold stopper for my family if we catch it as soon as we start to feel symptoms. No help from me now but hopefully future help. Good luck....God Bless and feel well soon!!...Mick!!
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

rest rest rest .take a warm bath put on clean PJ's and clean sheets .Lots of warm herbal teas and water.chicken noodle soup with pepper if you can make it home made soup if not campbell's is the best :)

12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Don't you love it when they say drink lots of fluid and rest in bed? The two don't really work well together! Lots of fluids and I am going to be resting in the rest room!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  13. kat-E

kat-E New Member

if you have no problems with zinc. I had a friend who is an ER doc tell me about it, and it seemed to help. It is homeopathic remedy of a couple of varieties of zinc. It does help knock out colds if you try it in the first few days.

Have you tried any of the coricidin HBP products over the counter?

I also agree with good old fashioned chicken soup, also some good hot chili.

Niether should affect your bp.

get to feeling better soon