PLEASE HELP - BIG PROBLEMS WITH SLEEP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

Sleep cycle between 4-5am and midday and if I didn't force myself to stick to this it would be even later. This got bad a few years back. Before that it was 1 am to 10am.

Been on Lunesta (aka Zopiclone in UK) maximum dose for several years. Started out on much lower dose but upped it as built tolerance. Sometimes take a few Ambien to help as the Lunesta doesn't work most nights anymore (they did for the first few years). Sometimes also take a few Valium instead of the Ambien or 3mg Klonopin with just a little Lunesta.

Have been trying to taper very slowly but since I get little sleep *with* the drugs, I get even less when trying to taper and I am so tired I could die. I feel ill, sick, achy, exhausted etc etc...

Doc doesn't mind me taking all these sleep aids but I am scared as I need more and more to get some sleep and started stockpiling a while ago so I have extra when I need it which is most nights.

Sometimes I will manage to stick to prescribed dosage but need to take a Soma or something to help.

I build up tolerance to sleep and anxiety meds terribly quickly.

It's all getting too much :-(

I am just so tired and my sleep is becoming more and more disrupted thanks to newly snoring hubby. I am scared to book our vacation as I can't sleep in the same room as him half the time now and we can't afford seperate rooms. Also even the strongest earplugs don't block it out and I am so sensitive to the slightest noise or movement anyway because of the sensory overload thingy.

What the h*** do I do? I'm out of ideas here. I need to sleep and I want to go on vacation.

Please help if you can,

Bunchy x
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I build up tolerance to meds too. However, I have found one drug that consistently works for me - Restoril. Every now and then it does stop working so I stop it or add Imovane (Zopiclone) for a few days or a week. Then it starts working again.

Have you considered just changing meds completely and then go back on the Zopiclone and see if it works again?

When we go on vacation, we always ask for a room with two beds. Cromwell had a very interesting post last week "Hubby slept in separate room". Many, many people here share your problem of not being able to sleep with their spouse due to snoring and/or moving during the night.

Someone on that thread also mentioned that s/he worked in a hotel and many people request a room with 2 beds. Would that help?

My husband's snoring often disturbs my sleep even though he is in another room! Very loud. When we go on vacation, I bring SnoreStop either pills or spray and that helps quiet down his snoring.

Hope this helps.
    Pepper
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Low dose helps me.

Love Anne C
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Has your husband been checked for sleep apnea. That could be causing his snoring.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

have never helped me, most of them have had the OPPOSITE effect and kept me even more awake.

Now, I take one 3mg Melatonin and an antihistamine, along with zinc, magnesium every night. I sleep a bit better, not a lot, but its an improvement.

love
    rosie
  6. this is what ive done to help me get to sleep.ive used this method for two a years now.its works every time for me.
    if you have to sleep in the same room as your husband while on holiday,and his snoring gets on your nerves,,keeps you awake.try this..
    i dont use music downloading sites now,but a few years ago i went to a music download site and typed in the search bar for SOUNDS OF NATURE.a list of available downloads came up...these where such as pebble beach/ocean waves/bird sounds on a tropical island/and many others too.
    but my all time favourite one was thunder storm and rain..ive always loved to listen to rain and thunderstorms,i used to go lay down on my bed just in a state of relaxation and listen to the storm,rain pattering down on the window.
    well i downloaded this thunder storm and rain file.put it on a recordable disc,then i transferred it to audio tape.
    i bought myself a portable cassette player,the ones that use batteries.
    every night and i mean EVERY NIGHT..i plug in some comfortable headphones and i just settle down in bed and listen to this tape.its not one of those with music ,its just pure thunder and rain sounds.
    now i used to love to go on camping holidays before my illness took a good hold of me (i have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome) and when ever it rained while we were camping especially at night..ooohh id love to listen to the rain pattering on the tent,i used to get the best nights sleep listening to that.
    so put those head phones on,you can get those tiny ones that fit snugly in the ears,or if your husband snores so loudly that he nearly blows the windows out haha..or sucks them in haha..then get some headphones that completely cover each ear.i use them now and again but much prefer the snug fitting ones.
    and i play this tape.i imagine im in my tent and my goodness me,before i know it.its morning and ive slept so well.
    with the portable battery cassette players you dont have to switch them off,they switch them selves off when the tape ends,so its completely safe.
    some nights its a bit hard to get to sleep so i just turn the tape over a run the other side,ive chosen the thunder and rain for both sides of my tape.
    ive also done another tape to the sounds of PEBBLE BEACH again theres no music just the waves and pebble movements its fantastic.
    try it and see if it works for you.if you still hear your hubbies snores above the tape,just increase the volume a bit,but not too much as you dont want to damage your hearing.

love
    fran xx
  7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Restoril, I did use for a while but built massive tolerance to it unfortunately. Also high dose Valium does not work alone, let alone low dose without the Lunesta...LOL! At the moment I am trying to stick to some Valium and a low dose Lunesta tablet most nights but it is a struggle and gets me down.

It is a good idea to book a room with two beds on vacation - I will do that although hubby has been known to snore LOUDLY using nasal strips, nasal inhalors and stop snoring sprays all at the same time!!! Must admit it is quite funny to see him like that with all these gadgets stuck to his face snoring obliviously...LOL

It is not too bad here at home or at our parents as we all have spare rooms so I can chuck hubby out if necessary.

My main issue most of the time is this d*mn altered sleep-wake cycle and nights where I just can't sleep at all. It makes it very difficult to stick to any taper plan as even if I adjust eventually to a lower dose, some visit/occasion/trip comes along and up goes the dose again.

Guess I will have to just keep on trying and struggle on.

Love and gentle hugs,

Bunchy x
  8. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Will check it out tomorrow as it is getting late in the UK and about to start my winding down so signing off for tonight.

Look forward to some new ideas.

Thanks again,

Love Bunchy x
  9. Trena

Trena New Member

I can identify with your sleep problems also. I go through spells of not being able to sleep at all. I seem to go to sleep and sleep best after 3 am. Then when everyone is getting up, I am just then sleeping well. Occasionally I will take a xanax and an Aleve tablet. If I sleep well, I sort of have a rebound the next few nights and do not sleep well.
    After not taking anything for a while, Melotonin will sometime help. I also takte a Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc combination tablet which seems to help if I remember to take them all through the day.
  10. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Although I gave up even trying sleep meds as nothing at all seemed to work for me (even valerian hyped me up). I also have a baaaadly snoring hubby, myself, although he's gotten used to me poking him in his ribs so he'll flip back to his tummy (always snores when he turns over on his back).

I tried different kinds of earplugs, which helped somewhat (although those gooey silicone ones my dr. recommended got stuck in my hair...ouch). But I'm really sensitive to pretty much anything, and just the feeling of my ears being plugged up was quite uncomfortable, and even the soft foam ones like you get on airplanes (the best) left me with very sore ears the next morning.

I also have tried cal-mag supplments, doing some yoga stretches to my Enya CD before bed, whatever, with limited success. Throw in a 4 y.o. daughter who took 18 mo. to sleep through the night, and I can literally count on maybe two hands now how many times I've slept through solid without waking at least once. But I've kind of gotten used to it.

One thing that does help me at least tolerate it all better is exercise. That and fresh air. Hopefully you're going to a place where you'll have access to both. I also have found turning on the fan (not A/C or heat, just fan unless weather dictates otherwise) adds some "white noise", or I had a "waves" CD I used to play each night (on repeat all) when I traveled M-F for work for several years. And yes, I am the absolute lightest sleeper and extremely prone to sensory overload myself, but I could handle these things.

I totally understand the cost factor, too...and there is no way hubby and I would sleep separately (then I get too cold, too...he's my space heater, even if it's 80 degrees outside). We ourselves are going on part vacation/part work conference next month, and we've never even considered booking separate rooms...we've always slept all 3 of us in the same one when we have traveled and stayed in a hotel (and my daughter is the noisiest sleeper).

One thing that helped was just to deal with and not stress about the waking up thing, because having that get to me/focus on it just made it worse. A few times, I'd nap or just "zone out" for even 15 mins. during the day, something that honestly worked better and was easier than laying down for the whole nap thing. We also got a new mattress a couple years ago, one of those foam ones, and that did help, esp. as hubby doesn't shake the whole bed if he tosses and turns (nor do I). Hubby hasn't stopped snoring, but at least I seem to tolerate it better.

Wish I had easier answers for you! Was there anything that triggered your husband's snoring? Mine was definitely when he gained weight following knee surgery (ACL) with a long period of forced inactivity. But he's lost just about all of the weight and still snores, so who knows. He's never gotten tested for sleep apnea, and in his case, he does only snore when he rolls onto his back.

Best of luck, and I do hope you stay really busy, wear yourself out, and sleep like a baby on your vacation!!!! Please do go...you really need the break, even if it is stressing you out beforehand. Trust me...I've just bawled before each vacation/trip I've taken since my daughter was born, but then I was so very glad I went. This time, I am counting the days 'til this next one!!!! I soooo need to get away!!!!

Happy travels, and hopefully many good nights' sleep!
    C.
  11. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Where are you going on vacation/holiday? Hopefully somewhere warm and tropical, where you can open the windows and fall asleep to the sound of the waves (or at least get a CD and imagine it)!

C.