PLEASE HELP - Ear erosion AND sinus surgery! Don't use q-tips...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Nov 23, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

Finally got into the ENT on Friday..waited 8 weeks.
    Have to go for CT Scan on Monday to see if sinus infection that showed up on Brain MRI IN APRIL is still there. I still have facial pain, nose cheeks & forhead hurt, so I suppose it's still there. (Long story as to why PCP didn't treat it right & long wait for ENT referal..save for anohter time)

Anywho...Has anybody had this surgery? Does anybody have an alternative that worked for them? I don't think my body can handle it...last time I had surgery I got really sick & don't want to go thru that again. I am physically & emotionally whopped.

ASLO...

Dr. Said I have MAJOR erosion in my ear. I don't use Q-tips, which he said is #1 cause. I think I figured out it's from - using earplugs while using the riding lawnmower. DUH trying to PROTECT my ears....
    He says there is no skin, just oozing tissue. (YUCKO) He also said there was a fungal or yeast infection. HE said the erosion was very serious, that if the bone protrudes thru the skin I'd have to have surgery immediately, & it was very complicated. Could effect the nerves in my face.
    I am so scared. I have searched the internet, but can't find any info.
    In the meantime I cannot take a shower or wash my hair (ick). I have to go see him every week for treatment. He filled my ear wiht a cream, next week he's going to use "violet" something?

Ok,,,everytime I post something unusual I am pleased to find somebody that has had or knows about it.
    HELP. It's been a long weekend so far. Trying to stay busy, but my ear & my face hurts so bad it's hard not to think about it.

Prayers please?
    Thanks
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

Finally got into the ENT on Friday..waited 8 weeks.
    Have to go for CT Scan on Monday to see if sinus infection that showed up on Brain MRI IN APRIL is still there. I still have facial pain, nose cheeks & forhead hurt, so I suppose it's still there. (Long story as to why PCP didn't treat it right & long wait for ENT referal..save for anohter time)

Anywho...Has anybody had this surgery? Does anybody have an alternative that worked for them? I don't think my body can handle it...last time I had surgery I got really sick & don't want to go thru that again. I am physically & emotionally whopped.

ASLO...

Dr. Said I have MAJOR erosion in my ear. I don't use Q-tips, which he said is #1 cause. I think I figured out it's from - using earplugs while using the riding lawnmower. DUH trying to PROTECT my ears....
    He says there is no skin, just oozing tissue. (YUCKO) He also said there was a fungal or yeast infection. HE said the erosion was very serious, that if the bone protrudes thru the skin I'd have to have surgery immediately, & it was very complicated. Could effect the nerves in my face.
    I am so scared. I have searched the internet, but can't find any info.
    In the meantime I cannot take a shower or wash my hair (ick). I have to go see him every week for treatment. He filled my ear wiht a cream, next week he's going to use "violet" something?

Ok,,,everytime I post something unusual I am pleased to find somebody that has had or knows about it.
    HELP. It's been a long weekend so far. Trying to stay busy, but my ear & my face hurts so bad it's hard not to think about it.

Prayers please?
    Thanks
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm not sure whats going on with the ears.But wanted to say "I'll be thinking of you' and I hope your feeling better soon,(sounds painful~yuk)
    love,
    Tracey
  4. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I can definitely relate to the ear/nose thing, and feel very badly for you. I've suffered bad sinuses most of my life, and know just how you feel. Like you want to rip your face off and get a new one! My gp recommended something they called "windowpane" surgery, which I declined, thank you very much. I'm not sure what it entails, but I've heard that they drill holes into your sinuses so they drain. *bleeeeech* One of my teacher aides just told me last week that her daughter-in-law had some sort of sinus surgery (I don't know if its the same kind) and she said the d.i.l. said if she'd known then what she knew now, NEVER would she have gone through it. But that isn't intended to be advice, just relating an experience. It's like everything else...works for some, not for others! Hope you find relief, whatever happens.
    Warm fuzzies back to you,
    Stormy
  5. dd

dd New Member

after being on antibiotics for chronic sinus infections. The infection never went away, pain in the cheeks, forehead, nose and jaw...constantly. My vision and hearing was affected too. I had an MRI of the sinuses done and the doctor couldn't understand how I could still be walking around. They scheduled me for the surgery the very next day. The doctor told me that it was a "simple" day surgery and that I would feel so much better afterwards. When I came out of surgery I was in so much pain they had to give me a morphine drip. I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 days. I don't say this to scare you but sometimes doctors don't give the correct information. Had I known that I would be in so much pain I maybe could have been prepared mentally for it at least. The good news is that I did not have any sinus problems for the next 3 years. I am now having horrible problems with my sinuses again and have been told that I need the surgery again but I don't think that my body is up to the challenge again. When I had the surgery I did not have the CFS and FM so I don't know how it would affect me now.

If you decide to have the surgery make sure that they give you something for the pain before you even wake up. That will ease the pain somewhat. Everyone is different though. Hopefully your experience will be much better if you go that route. One thing that has bothered me since the surgery is being dizzy. I was dizzy with the sinus infections too but thought that would go away once I had the surgery but it didn't, it is constant.

If you have anymore questions I will be glad to try and answer them for you.

Good luck.

Debbie
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Achy, I have had some serious sinus attacks, infected ears, infected tonsils, but no operations! They claimed that the infection from my tonsils caused the ear absesses.

This was years ago, they treated it with super shots of penicillin in my butt! Could not sit for a few days.

They would not remove the tonsils because I only weighed 90lbs at the time. Saved by being underweight I guess!

I will keep you in my prayers, please let us know how you are doing.

By the way, if you are in 'doubt' with this doctor, get a second opinion before you make this decision.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i went through years of horrible sinus infections. it was not until i got rid of the culprits that i suffer no more.

i moved. we lived in the woods. those leaves on the ground all years were just like living in mold.

i stopped working, i worked in a sick building. (think this really aggrevated my fms)

gave up yogurt (dairy) used to eat yogurt every day, good for you, not.

i have not had one sinus infection in 3 years! it is like a miracle, this after going 10 years of 3 or 4 a year!

warm regards, fibolay
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

So sorry you're suffering like this! Don't have any insight on the ears, but do you have allergies? I suffered from severe, chronic sinus infections for years---once I got a handle on my equally severe nasal allergy symptoms, my sinus infections improved drastically---almost never get them now.

I have not had the surgery you are refering to, but have had sinus surgery to correct deviated my septum, plus constructing drainage "windows" so my sinuses would drain better, again all needed to help my chronic sinus infections. This was a few years before my FM dx, though. Surgery was successful, never even had a bruise on my face, just slight swelling, and I was back at work amazingly fast. Not sure I'd recover so fast these days, though!!

Good luck with this, I know what it's like to have sinus pain so bad you feel like your head will explode. Hope you feel better--

Hugs, Pam
  9. achy

achy New Member

I have my sinus CT scan at 5:00 today...Then I go to the ENT tomorrow to have my ear checked/treated.
    He wants to do something called "violet something"...anybody heard of it? Searched the web, can't find any info. My sinus are better, but the ears is killing me. When I bend over or stretch I get a dull pain deep inside the ear.
    This doc is highly reccomended, best in the area I am told. We'll see.
    Thanks for all your prayers & support!!
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy

Now if I can just drive the 60 miles to the hospital...yawn
  10. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

I am here if you need me. If you have to have the surgery let me know what hospital and when. Will try to be there with bells on my toes lol. If there is anything I can do let me know. My prayers are with you.
    Ann
  11. dlizard

dlizard New Member

honey. that sounds very painful... how have you put up with that... bless your heart. Anyway, I had ear and sinus stuff all winter last winter. I had to have ear tubes ( different problem from yours I know) but I had to have them three times before they worked! I also had sinus surgery... I had grown a large cyst in my right facial sinus and had it removed.. of course its "only" a cyst ( thank God its not cancer or anything ) but the surgery was gross... I had a perpetual nosebleed for about a week then blew blood for 3 months.... but my pain was RELIEVED* from the surgery... so if you have something like this it's definitely worth the trouble and grossness of the operation! Good luck sweetie.. you're in my prayers!