Please Help-GASTRITUS since May 10th

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Hi Friends,

I've been so depressed due to my gastritus symptoms.

It's so painful and I'm taking tums, malox, protein inhibitors.

Can you please tell me what you did for this? Any tips?

I want to cut the learning curve since this is so new.

I know eating a ph balanced diet helps.

I missed out on the last two july 4ths and don't want to miss out on this one!

1) It started on May 10th. I took Prevacid over the counter. Have not taken ANY pain meds before it started.
    H pylori test which was a blood test showed up negative, no blood in stools.

2) On June 9th, I started taking prilosec 40 mg a day. First I took 20 mg in am and then in pm but dr told me to try 40 a day at once

3) on July 1rst had endoscopy and am waiting to hear back results.

Don't know if I am on track or if my medical care is going too slow. I'm still in incredible amount of pain. When they did a biopsy they said it would take a week to get more results but it showed I had mild gastritus,

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

dgl licorice root chewables and guacatonga il post some info
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

Licorice ( Glycyrrhiza glabra ) is a flavorful herb that has been used in food and medicinal remedies for thousands of years. Also known as "sweet root," licorice root contains a compound that is roughly 50 times sweeter than sugar. Licorice root has been used in both Eastern and Western medicine to treat a variety of illnesses ranging from the common cold to liver disease. This herb has long been valued as a demulcent (soothing, coating agent) and expectorant (rids phlegm and mucous from the respiratory tract) and continues to be used by health care professionals today to relieve respiratory ailments (such as allergies, bronchitis, colds, sore throats, and tuberculosis), stomach problems (including heartburn from reflux), inflammatory disorders, skin diseases, stress relief, and liver problems
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

Main Actions Other Actions Standard Dosage
    protects stomach
    blocks pain signals
    prevents ulcers
    neutralizes venom
    Infusion: 1/2 cup 2-3
    kills cancer cells
    kills viruses
    times daily
    slows tumor growth
    cleanses blood
    Capsules: 1-2 g twice daily
    relieves pain
    stops bleeding

heals wounds

Guacatonga grows as a shrub or small tree usually 2 or 3 meters tall, but sometimes grows up to 10 meters in undisturbed areas of the Amazon. In the clay soils of the Amazon, the plant has adapted for nutrient absorption and support by forming extensive lateral roots that are white, stiff, and covered with a corky bark. The tree produces small white, cream, or greenish flowers (which smell like a mixture of honey and urine) crowded on short stalks on the leaf axils. After flowering it produces small fruits, 3-4 mm in diameter, which split open to reveal three brown seeds covered with a red-to-orange aril. Guacatonga grows wild throughout the tropics, adapting to both forests and plains. It is native to Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America (including Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, and Bolivia).

Guacatonga has a rich history in herbal medicine systems in nearly every tropical country where it grows. The Karaj√° Indians in Brazil prepare a bark maceration to treat diarrhea; the Shipibo-Conibo Indians of Peru use a decoction of the bark for diarrhea, chest colds and flu. Other Indian tribes in Brazil mash the roots or seeds of guacatonga to treat wounds and leprosy topically. Indigenous peoples throughout the Amazon rainforest have long used guacatonga as a snakebite remedy. A leaf decoction is brewed that is applied topically and also taken internally. The same jungle remedy is used topically for bee stings and other insect bites. This native use found its way out of the rainforest and into current herbal medicine practices in cities and villages in South America. It has been validated by scientists in the last several years who documented the leaf extract as capable of neutralizing several types of bee and snake venoms.

Guacatonga has a long history of use in Brazilian herbal medicine, documented in early folk medicine books as an antiseptic and wound healer for skin diseases (in 1939), as a topical pain-reliever (in 1941), and as an anti-ulcer drug (in 1958). It is currently used in Brazilian herbal medicine systems as a blood purifier, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral to treat rheumatism, syphilis, herpes, stomach and skin ulcers, edema, fevers of all kinds, diarrhea, and as an topical pain-reliever. It is also employed topically for burns, wounds, rashes, and such skin disorders as eczema and . The natural herbal remedy calls for 20 grams of dried leaves infused in 1 liter of water; quarter-cup amounts are taken orally 2-3 times
  5. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Has anyone had their gastritus disapper? It seems like hell not to be able to eat normal foods.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Make sure you don't have gallstones. I had symptoms of gastritis, severe for a few years until it was discovered I was loaded with gallstones.

I could not eat much, and what I did eat was very limited. I had severe symptoms of gastric reflux and gastritis. Perhaps from the bile backing up in my stomach from a non-working gallbladder.

The surgeon told me it is common for doctors to miss the diagnosis. They just look for the typical textbook symptoms which are not always present. I never had the textbook symptoms.

I was in the emergency room with severe nausea and vomiting on occasion. Still, my gp did not check me for gallbladder disease.

Lucky for me, my regular doctor went on vacation and the doctor who took his calls knew what was wrong.

The kicker is, after having all sorts of tests like MRI's etc, a simple 10 minute ultrasound discovered the gallstones. (gallstones don't show up on a MRI).

I also had 3 endoscopies where they put you to sleep and look in your stomach during the time I was suffering from the un-diagnosed gallstones.

I finally had surgery in Nov 2006 and had my gallbladder removed. At that point, I had lost 50 lbs due to a complete loss of appetite and gastric problems. Even if I ate to fast I would be heaving and very sick.

If you have not had gallbladder disease ruled out, I hope you can get your doctor to check you. Your body does not have symptoms for nothing.
  7. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I have a ton of stomach problems so I've learned a lot of tricks. First though, have you seen a GI doctor? He or she'd be able to tell you if it was GURD or something like and eosiniphilic disorder, a newly discovered disease that's little understood. What exactly are your symptoms? It sounds like you've had a lot of stomach acid.
    Do you take NSAIDS? They can do a number on your stomach despite the other benefits they provide. I'm at the point where I can't take them ever again.

If it's mostly stomach acid, you can try prolosect over the counter. Most of the time it doesn't say but the best time to take it is a half and hour before breakfast. The over the counter says not to take it more than 14 days because if the stomach acid gets to low you're at risk for an infection. So keep in touch with a doctor. He or she would be able to say if it's safe to keep going. I find that prevacid actually worked better for me than prilosect.

If the stomach acid is still really bad even with the prilosec/prevacid you can add a zantac or two before bed(150 or 300mg, also availible over the counter). It's still safe to take tums or rolaids while on these medicines. If that's still not enough, the doctor can up the dose of the prevacid and zantac.

Have you been scoped? It might be a good idea to see exactly what's going on there. And ask for them to take biopsies to look for eosiniphils.

Let me know if I can help anymore. I know a lot about stomach problems since I've had them for 21 years.

June[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
  8. kbak

kbak Member

I'm going to have to suggest seeing a gastro doc. There are just to many possibilites what can be wrong and you don't want to just keep suffering.

I have the same problem. Mine started last Oct. after I had a colonoscopy. I had never had any problems with gastritis until then. Since then it has been hell. Ya, it's taken me that long to break down and make an appt.

See I tried everything under the sun to see if I could cure it myself. You name it , I've tried it! I've had an extremely limited diet cause so many foods made me sick. I've been on a celiac diet for the last 2 yrs. so it wasn't that.

I've been doing prilosec but it's not enough. I hate the thought of more pills but I'm to miserable to go on. It's better to get a real Dx than to be guessing.

Good luck,
  9. gongee

gongee New Member

I have been dealing with gastristis and GERD for years. I have spent a fortune in gastro doctors, over the counter meds and prescriptions.

I had 2 previous endoscopies, colonscopy and 2 ultrasound of my gallbladder over the past three years.

Finally this year my PCP decided that I should have a HIDA scan of my gallbladder even though no stones showed on either ultra sound. Sure enough, still no stones but they did find out that my gallbladder was only working at 2%.
    No wonder I was feeling so bad.

I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery on May 2 of this year and the symptoms under my right ribs stopped but the stomach problems remained. The gastro doctor I was seeing at the time was of no help at all. He blamed everything on Fibro, so I changed physicians.

The new Gastro did another endoscopy which showed severe gastristis, GERD, polyps, hiatal hernia and esphogistis (probably spelled wrong). In other words, he told my husband my stomach was a mess.

I was put on a very bland diet for 4 weeks, nothing too hot or cold, probotics 2 x a day, digestive enyzmes, aciphex 2 x a day taken with aloe juice and zantac 150mg before bed. Also with this regiment, I could take mylanta etc, or more aloe juice for any break through burning.

Well, I am finally coming up on my 4th week and things are finally getting better, not completely well but a lot better. When I go back to him in about a week and a half, he will be sending me to a nutritionist to begin helping me re-introduce foods back in. Thank God for that. If I never saw applesauce or mashed potatoes again, it wouldn't bother me.

It has been a rough road, but I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you will be able to find someone to help you and get relief. Don't give up!

Take care,

10. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I've spent the entire week in the fetal position in bed. It's been so painful. I can't wait to see what the biopsy says. Your responses have given me much hope.